Got to play a P22 today

ExpatGirl

I know, for some of you that's not a big deal but it is for me. Living in NZ means we don't get to see a lot of different PRS models. I don't think there are very many P22s in NZ.

It's just a lovely guitar. It's got the Black Gold Burst finish and the surface looks like glass. Just stunning. The pattern regular neck felt very comfortable and the action was perfect. The 53/10 pickups sounded great. Each note was distinct, even with a good bit of gain, and they responded well when I dug in with the pick..

The piezo left me a bit cold. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it didn't quite sound the way I was expecting it to. Maybe I need to go back and give it another play to see how it sounds. The guitar also felt a little unbalanced, as if the body was a bit too heavy.

All in all, it's a lovely guitar but I don't think it's for me. I have much higher hopes for the Stripped 58. :)

The piezo left me a bit cold. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it didn't quite sound the way I was expecting it to. Maybe I need to go back and give it another play to see how it sounds.

I am a new P22 owner. When I first went to test drive, I just ran it through a Fender Twin ... while it sounded fine, the full benefit of the Piezo did not come through and I was not convinced it was for me. When I returned, I had them set me up in the "Loud Room" with a Fishman acoustic amp and some other electric amp (don't remember what brand). That is when I could hear the real character of the Piezo and the beauty of the mix tones from the magnetic.

I will say that there were 2 P22's and I tried them both. I perceived (as did the store clerk) a slight difference between the 2 guitars regarding the Piezo. The P22 I chose had more to do with my perceiving it had a slightly better (louder/cripser) Piezo sound.

Happy hunting.

I have a SCHB and the piezo system on those P22 sounds better, to my ears, then the original ones. Anyway, like any piezo instrument I tried (acoustic or electric) sometimes you plug and get a nice sound, but most of the times you need to EQ and fine tune it. The piezo is not an acoustic guitar simulator, but we are trying to get the acoustic sound. So find the perfect gear and how to set it up is part of the journey.
I understand how bad you feel about it, but it's a matter of finding the sweet spot and know how to achieve what you want.
It took me a while, but now I get a decent sound from my piezo. If I A/B with my acoustic it won't be fair, but to take one single instrument to a gig and can do an acoustic song with an electric solo in the middle of it is priceless.

Back