Got to play a Core model (McCarty) recently

64 Tele

I've got 2 very nice SE models that have become my go to guitars over time.
We were on vacation last week and I hit several music stores while traveling and came
across a used McCarty (double cutaway) model with 58/15's and the fixed (not adjustable)
wraptail bridge.
It was a gorgeous guitar and good price ($1850 asking price) so I took a look at it and played
for a while. The pickups were really nice and what kept me from buying it were the huge
frets on it.
Are all McCarty's the same (fret size wise), or was this an unusual one??
I REALLY wanted to like it, but was surprised I didn't.

That's a really good price. I'm not sure about frets, however don't buy it if you don't like the neck or the feel in any way. Myself I never got too comfortable with McCarty's, I used to own one several years ago. Then some time later I started playing a Les Paul regularly, so I think now I'd be warmer to McCarty's.

We were on vacation last week and I hit several music stores while traveling and came
across a used McCarty (double cutaway) model with 58/15's and the fixed (not adjustable)
wraptail bridge.
It was a gorgeous guitar and good price ($1850 asking price) so I took a look at it and played
for a while. The pickups were really nice and what kept me from buying it were the huge
frets on it.

I didn't think the frets were particularly huge. The best advice I can give though is to try out another, maybe a newer McCarty just in case that one had been refretted to the previous owners request. Frets do make a difference on the sound and some people who opt for 'different' frets when it needs to be refretted don't actually like the instrument afterwards - not as much anyway. The previous owner may well of asked for the biggest frets possible thinking that they would wear slower or at least take longer to wear enough that they need replacing.

I am NOT saying that this is the case with this particular guitar. It could be as 'new' but what I consider medium or normal frets, you feel are huge for example. I just spent 30mins trying to find reviews and/or specs on the McCarty and not one (that I found) mentioned anything about the actual frets. Maybe someone here will be able to comment more. I would still suggest you try out others and see if they are all alike. It maybe that the McCarty isn't quite the right guitar for you and maybe a Cu22 or 594 would be a better fit...

Wow. $1850 is a good price...

I have never thought the frets on the McCarty were huge, but maybe the previous owner requested them that way. Can you try another McCarty? Maybe next time you are traveling?

The only PRS guitar where I noticed a clear difference in frets was the DC3. All of my other PRS guitars feel like they have exact same fret size, even my SEs. I will check tomorrow just to be sure.

You did what I would have done in not buying it. I used to try to force myself to like something. Not anymore.

I find the frets on my SE Acoustic to be much smaller than on the electrics. Maybe the SE has smaller fret wire and the McCarty was normal sized. Good advice above to look at others.

wraptail bridge.
frets on it.

Huge frets? Where can I find it? From my understanding PRS uses medium jumbos on most of their guitars. Here is a link with guitars that should have larger frets - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/fret-size.9338/

Edit - just recently bought a DGT otherwise I would be really interested.

Supersonic Music in downtown Topeka, Ks. on 6th St. is the store that had the McCarty I tried.

I noticed the frets on my 2000 McSoapy are smaller than the ones on the 2016 I have. At least is seems that way, playing them they don't feel a lot different tho. I wonder if the binding on the neck just makes them look bigger.

Back