Got Starla?

You can't yank on a Bigsby like a PRS trem or a Floyd Rose. They're great for adding vibrato but you don't want do dive bomb with one. The strings don't slide over the TOM bridge smoothly enough. If you are gentle, the TOM will rock back and forth and the strings don't slide across the saddles.

As a side-note, Ted McCarty became president of Bigsby when he left Gibson, so there's an interesting connection for ya!

Pure and simple.

P1020352.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;42583 said:
You can't yank on a Bigsby like a PRS trem or a Floyd Rose. They're great for adding vibrato but you don't want do dive bomb with one. The strings don't slide over the TOM bridge smoothly enough. If you are gentle, the TOM will rock back and forth and the strings don't slide across the saddles.
I've wondered about fitting a Compton bridge to mine - anyone else done this to combat the strings sticking on the tunomatic saddles?

http://www.comptonbridges.com/home

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;42583 said:
Yeah, I didn't figure that. My dive bombing days ended with the 80's. Actually, I haven't owned a trem guitar since 1990:)

That's okay - you can be cured!
:biggrin: I would love a swampy narrowfield, but this is neither the time or place. Lol

edit: I forgot I had a SAS in 2002, so it hasn't been that long

Last edited:
Do Stoptails count? Just got her this week. Still in the honeymoon, but I love these pups.

starls_zps8f64f7b7.jpg

I bought my Starla Ltd with 57/08 pickups in it. Going to switch them out for Starla pickups so I can get the original tone (and put the 57/08s in my Ted DC245 which currently has 59/09s).

c8ae69a6.jpg

cffe081d.jpg

I bought my Starla Ltd with 57/08 pickups in it. Going to switch them out for Starla pickups so I can get the original tone (and put the 57/08s in my Ted DC245 which currently has 59/09s).
Good decision. Those fabulous pickups are a critical factor in what makes the Starla special in the first place. Not only do I love them in my Starla, I'm constantly thinking of which other PRS of mine and otherwise they'd sound great in. I imagine that any of the HB's and Starla pickups would be a match made in heaven. I hold that the Starla is the unsung hero of the whole PRS line up.

Good decision. Those fabulous pickups are a critical factor in what makes the Starla special in the first place. Not only do I love them in my Starla, I'm constantly thinking of which other PRS of mine and otherwise they'd sound great in. I imagine that any of the HB's and Starla pickups would be a match made in heaven. I hold that the Starla is the unsung hero of the whole PRS line up.

So when are you going to drop a set in your SC-J?

I don't know about hero as there is some pretty stiff competition within the PRS family, but I will agree that the Starla is the sleeper in the bunch. I tried one at GC and was very impressed, but who can really tell what you have, with 10 minutes competing with the shredders. I get this one home and on my LoneStar and all that creamy goodness comes dripping out of the speakers. It is just pure bliss. I haven't even put much gain on yet. Just running through some clean blues with a smile on my face. I'd put the Starla pups in instead of the 57/08's in a heartbeat, and I love 57/08's. They are great for a Custom, there just isn't a better pup for a Starla than Starlas.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;48781 said:
So when are you going to drop a set in your SC-J?
No longer have that (kinda miss it though), but do have a newly acquired Archtop Jazz. Funny, I got it thinking that I'd likely change the Archtop p/u's to Starls'a or 53/10's, but the originals sound so perfect in that guitar that I'm definitely sticking with them. Still, I'm determined to put something else together in the future utilizing Starla's.

Starla is an English name derived from "star." Mira is the astrological name for the star Omicron Ceti.

Stella is Latin for Star. So that's gotta be next.

Finally, Esther is Persian for Star. So if I had a Starla and a Mira, I'd name them Stella and Esther just for the sheer starriness of the names.

What, you didn't ask for this information and don't care? Pfffft!

I think it's interesting that Latin "astrum" is also "star", Persian "esther" is star, and "star" in German is "stern". Greek is "astron". All these words clearly have an obvious common Indo-european root word dating from prehistory.

Gosh I love language and history. I missed my calling, shoulda been a professor.

Last edited:
Back