Got my s2 Standard 24 Satin today, and it's awesome!

GET TO DA CHOPPA

I've been pretty happy with my SE custom, except for a few things. There was minor paint imperfections, Normal I guess for a made in indonesia guitar, the tone knob came slightly crooked. Turned out the stem holding the knob, came slightly bent, I don't know if its actaully bent or if it was installed like that, but the knob always looks like its on an angle. The pickup selector switch always felt kind of cheap, like if I pulled sidways on it I could probably snap it with minimal effort. I do like the feel an playability of the guitar a lot. Also, although i can get it to sound good out of the SE, I was never never 100% satisfied.

The s2 on the other hand. There are no imperfections. Everything is perfect. I actually really dig the satin finish, and don't miss the bling at all. And the tone from the guitar is SOOO much better. I don't know what you guys think about the 58/15s pickups, but they sound pretty amazing to me, way better than the 85/15s in my SE. Way less harsh, I know it's a different guitar, and the Satin finish probably changes the tone as well, but damn. I also like the pattern regular fretboard a lot.

The s2 standard isn't that much more money than a SE custom either. I wish I bought this from the start. SE Custom's seem kind of stupid to me now. I already spend money on PRS locking tuners for it, and will need new pickups before i am 100% happy. The s2 was great from the start. Doesn't need anything. I can see an argument for an SE standard, but SE custom's are so close in price so a s2 standard and clearly, WAY BEHIND. I don't get it.

Anway, Im very happy with this s2. It really is awesome. I feel almost like this individual guitar was made specifically for me.

Last edited:
Ummmm.
Pics.
Pics are mandatory!

Sharing pics on this site, is not the easiest, but here goes. This guitar and my SE Angelus ax20e acoustic are my 2 all time fav guitar purchases. The SE custom 24, I can probably live without. (but its not bad). The quality within price range of the SE acoustics seems to be far above the quality of the SE electrics imo.

Last edited:
Congrats! I have two S2 Standard 24s, and I think they’re the best guitars I’ve ever owned. Mine are from a few years ago, and have the 85/15s, and I can tell you, those pickups sound smoother and richer in the S2 than in my SE. There’s something about that slab of mahogany with the satin finish that’s really special.

I've been pretty happy with my SE custom, except for a few things. There was minor paint imperfections, Normal I guess for a made in indonesia guitar, the tone knob came slightly crooked. Turned out the stem holding the knob, came slightly bent, I don't know if its actaully bent or if it was installed like that, but the knob always looks like its on an angle. The pickup selector switch always felt kind of cheap, like if I pulled sidways on it I could probably snap it with minimal effort. I do like the feel an playability of the guitar a lot. Also, although i can get it to sound good out of the SE, I was never never 100% satisfied.

The s2 on the other hand. There are no imperfections. Everything is perfect. I actually really dig the satin finish, and don't miss the bling at all. And the tone from the guitar is SOOO much better. I don't know what you guys think about the 58/15s pickups, but they sound pretty amazing to me, way better than the 85/15s in my SE. Way less harsh, I know it's a different guitar, and the Satin finish probably changes the tone as well, but damn. I also like the pattern regular fretboard a lot.

The s2 standard isn't that much more money than a SE custom either. I wish I bought this from the start. SE Custom's seem kind of stupid to me now. I already spend money on PRS locking tuners for it, and will need new pickups before i am 100% happy. The s2 was great from the start. Doesn't need anything. I can see an argument for an SE standard, but SE custom's are so close in price so a s2 standard and clearly, WAY BEHIND. I don't get it.

Anway, Im very happy with this s2. It really is awesome. I feel almost like this individual guitar was made specifically for me.

I 100% agree with you on SE Custom vs S2 Satin! I’d take the S2 eight days a week over the SE, not that the SE’s are bad, but the S2 is just so much more guitar for not much more money. I put a 59/09 bridge pickup and Mann trem in my 22 fret, I have a few nice Cores at home, but the Satin hangs with them and while the Cores have wonderful and very characterized sounds, the Satin sits right in the sweet spot between all of them.

I 100% agree with you on SE Custom vs S2 Satin! I’d take the S2 eight days a week over the SE, not that the SE’s are bad, but the S2 is just so much more guitar for not much more money. I put a 59/09 bridge pickup and Mann trem in my 22 fret, I have a few nice Cores at home, but the Satin hangs with them and while the Cores have wonderful and very characterized sounds, the Satin sits right in the sweet spot between all of them.
Why did you upgrade the trem? Just curious. Was there issues? I am having no tuning issues, or intonation or anything. AS far as pickups, I was thinking of 57/08’s originally but the 58/15s that it came with sound so good already to me. No need.

Nice. Love the color as well. Thinking of selling my S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow and picking up one of those.

The S2 trem has a different sound that the core trem. I have both, and one of each model of the Mann trems. There’s nothing wrong with the S2 trems. I think they have a little sharper treble, which I like in my S2 Custom 24. Change a part and you change the sound. If you love the way it sounds, be happy you found your magic guitar, and rock on! Keep the SE. You always need a backup.

The S2 trem has a different sound that the core trem. I have both, and one of each model of the Mann trems. There’s nothing wrong with the S2 trems. I think they have a little sharper treble, which I like in my S2 Custom 24. Change a part and you change the sound. If you love the way it sounds, be happy you found your magic guitar, and rock on! Keep the SE. You always need a backup.
I've done both a full replacement and another with just the brass trem block from Mann's. The tone block alone does just fine and a lot less pain in the rear!

Well I figured it would effect the sound some, just surprised the pickup change alone was not enough. I thought trem upgrades more more for better tuning stability and trem responsiveness. I've never upgraded one.

Last edited:
Well I figured it would effect the sound some, just surprised the pickup change alone was not enough. I thought trem upgrades more more for better tuning stability and trem responsiveness. I've never upgraded one.
The tuning stability will be fine with proper setup on any PRS. So will the trem responsiveness.

Back