Got my first chip, should I be concerned? V12

Solteroblues

Hi all, last night I was being really dumb and careless and let my 2013 P22 bump my coffee table. It was an extremely light tap, but it was edge against edge, and it chipped off the clearcoat... Fortunately, it is on the bottom, on the back. It's Whale Blue, so the back is black and its pretty noticeable. Should I be concerned about it getting larger? I baby my guitars - I play them, but I baby them, especially her, she's my number 1 and it isn't even close. I've heard some nightmares about the V12 being soft and easy to chip. How could I repair it seamlessly as possible?

It does. I used the 20 viscosity, went in layers/drops and let each layer seek it's level and then dry before applying the next layer. I tried to keep the affected area on top and centered so that gravity worked with me. There may be a better application method from someone experienced in guitar repair, but this worked for me.

It does. I used the 20 viscosity, went in layers/drops and let each layer seek it's level and then dry before applying the next layer. I tried to keep the affected area on top and centered so that gravity worked with me. There may be a better application method from someone experienced in guitar repair, but this worked for me.
I believe you've posted pictures of the results and it looked really good.

Thanks Boogie. I had forgotten it was there until now.

Congratulations. Now you can play it without obsessing about damaging it. Just like getting that first ding on a new car. Now it will look like its been PLAYED!! :top:

The inevitability of the "first ding" is the reason I did not return my S2 SC "Deluxe" (MY terminology for a maple topped with birds) when the warranty refinish of the neck included a "fisheye" in the middle of the back upon its return to me. At least the first damage is not my fault. I don't play outside my home, so "gig damage" is not a risk and thus, my guitars stay near- new for decades. Given the PRS customer service reputation, I was disappointed that it cleared final inspection. I have debated contacting Matt King about it-unlike the builds,there was no work order showing who did the work or inspection. Should I?

Congratulations. Now you can play it without obsessing about damaging it. Just like getting that first ding on a new car. Now it will look like its been PLAYED!! :top:

Oh, no - I know this is what we all say, but it's not true.

Sorry to say, but the guitar is ruined. It may not seem like it right now, but its days are numbered, and likely in the single digits based on your description.

You said the chip is on the bottom - unless you play behind your head, you're screwed because gravity is going to work against you and drain the tone out of your guitar.

A step back - you may remember that the V12 finish was developed and released to be a thinner finish than poly, in order to let the guitar "breathe" a bit more. Well, now that the finish is chipped, the guitar has essentially become a balloon, except that PRS guitars have a gorgeous, liquidy tone, so the tone will gradually - but quickly - leak down through the chip.

It's always painful to see a guitar die this way, so it might be best to send it to someone who can provide a sort of hospice care.

I'm sure someone here will volunteer to do that for you.

:call:

That was a very creative and funny post. I will never forget my introduction to PRS guitars. I was at a guitar show in White Plains New York in 1998 (?) and one vendor had this beat to crap PRS custom 22 guitar for sale. Blue with a killer flame maple top for $700. I am sure I could have gotten it for $500. About 30% of the poly was off of the top it was so worn. This was before relic was the rage.

Now I am doing the math based on the wear and realizing that was probably one of the earliest guitars made. Donkey punching myself in the arse for passing it up. I think it was placement. The little vendor was right next to Ed Roman who had 30 shiny PRS's all in a row.

Thanks, RVA, that is a very worthwhile tip. I am one of those who baby their guitars. I could not stand to leave imperfections like that. It would simply wear on my mind and drive me to do something about it. Luckily, I saw a link to this video by Dan Erlewine on finish repair: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...xing_a_small_chip_in_your_guitars_finish.html. It would definitely be a sanity-saver for me.

Well done! :top:

I regret to inform everyone that this poor guitar will not be made available in the forseeable future...Even if the tone drains out now, I will keep it with me....

Thanks, RVA, that is a very worthwhile tip. I am one of those who baby their guitars. I could not stand to leave imperfections like that. It would simply wear on my mind and drive me to do something about it. Luckily, I saw a link to this video by Dan Erlewine on finish repair: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...xing_a_small_chip_in_your_guitars_finish.html. It would definitely be a sanity-saver for me.

Well done! :top:
Thank you for saying so, my pleasure! I have seen that Dan Erlewine video. It was very helpful, but I settled on a less perfect finish because I do not have the skills for scraping and sanding.

...I was at a guitar show in White Plains New York in 1998 (?) and one vendor had this beat to crap PRS custom 22 guitar for sale...

Now I am doing the math based on the wear and realizing that was probably one of the earliest guitars made. Donkey punching myself in the arse for passing it up...
You mean one of the earliest Custom 22's? The early PRS (first) factory models were all 24 frets.

Back