Got My 5th PRS - May Put in New Pickups? Questions.

McCarty Love

Hey all. I picked up a really sweet S2 594 Singlecut and a few weeks ago, an S2 Custom 24

These are my 4th and 5th PRS' (2005 McCarty, Mira Semi Hollow, S2 Studio) and I think they are the bomb.

In order to get them to a level of clarity that I think they lack (otherwise, they are incredible), I've decided to do some pickup swapping.

I picked up some Dragon II pickups from a dealer for the S2 Custom 24...just haven't installed them yet.

The next question is the S2 594....been looking around on the interwebs for a used set of 2005 McCarty pickups, but also considering 58/08's or even some Bareknuckle Abraxas.

On the 594, has anyone rewired one one the style of Gibson 50's Les Pauls?

Pics of the new axes:

Those are some beauties!!! But 5 is an odd number, you need at least one more to make it an even half dozen. ;)
I'm a firm believer you're correct. Still on the hunt for another used core McCarty I can afford...(scored the one I have for $900..that will never happen again), and I may pickup an SE Hollowbody one of these days.

Been a PRS junkie for over 20 years

I'm a firm believer you're correct. Still on the hunt for another used core McCarty I can afford...(scored the one I have for $900..that will never happen again), and I may pickup an SE Hollowbody one of these days.

I firmly endorse the SE Hollowbodys - I have one Piezo, one regular and also a Core Piezo. I love the HB!!

Congrats and may I say: lovely top on that 594. looks to me like nothing short of a core!

Even though it’s a nice S2, I’d spend the money and redo the wiring. That way you can always revert back in the event it one day leaves your side.

Those are some beauties!!! But 5 is an odd number, you need at least one more to make it an even half dozen. ;)

No, no, no. This is completely wrong. Has to be a prime number. So, 7 is the next target. Then 11 and 13.

They sell drop in wiring kit for the 594 series. Be aware that tone pots will hang higher but I never minded it. Made grabbing to split so easy. And I think the drop in pickup selector for single cuts will not work for s2 tops. Need a different washer system to grab it. Those are available on stew mac but such a hassle. Easier to get a short switchcraft and call it a day.

Back