Got banned from TGP, have no idea why...

Power is relative.

Looking at TGP, it resembles nothing so much as a small cage of ageing and exhausted hamsters fighting over a peanut.
The angry old white dude vibes kill me over there sometimes. Lots of shouting at clouds. That being said, I really enjoy a lot of the people I connect with there...

I posted the dreaded "F" word, but added an asterisk and exclamation point to hide what I was doing.

Apparently, this makes me the criminal mastermind of the 21st century...or the new George Carlin.

Fight the power...:cool::eek:
Seven pages in of stuff about another Forum and you reveal you swore :rolleyes:

Edit - 8 pages - I lost track

One time on a different site, I was kicked off for playing the role of a moderator when I wasn't.

Mikeu
I changed my signature line at TGP to "unofficial moderator" once, and was quickly asked to change it. I changed it to "I'm not a moderator, but I play one on TV and on the internet." That one lasted a few weeks but a moderator, who thought it was funny, asked me to change it because "someone reported it as pretending to be a mod here." :rolleyes: He even laughed and said "I'm not going to make you change it because I think it's funny and clearly you're not saying you are a mod here, but it would be nice if you would." So I changed it to "application for moderator position: DENIED!" He liked that even better.

I used to always enjoy talking to Big Mike there, but I made a joke about his socks and don't think he likes me anymore.

Having been a mod at some a forum larger than TGP, it's not exactly a fun job. You might get a perk or two, but it's unpaid and enforcing someone else's rules. Usually at the expense of people you know and often like.

The large forum I volunteered at actually didn't allow any off-topic conversation. You're never a popular fellow when enforcing that. Oh, you want to talk about bird houses? Find a bird house forum. Your grandkids sure are cute, but how about you talk about that with their grandma? She died? Find a support group. Yeah.

I try to keep in mind that I'm a guest on someone else's dime. If I want to set the rules, I need to start my own forum. I can see the language thing, along with TGP's other rules, as making sense. There are enough employer and institutional content filters out there that they don't want to be blocked by. Once your site is on a block list, it's tough to get it off. That can kill a forum pretty quickly in terms of traffic.

I think my favorite thing when I was a mod were the guys who would violate the rules, then get all butt-hurt about it. No, you don't have freedom of expression here. No, I don't really care. No, it won't help you to insult me, but it will confirm what I already think. Hey, did that guy get banned because he couldn't behave? I bet he doesn't do this crap in public...

The mods are rarely the problem.

Having been a mod at some a forum larger than TGP, it's not exactly a fun job. You might get a perk or two, but it's unpaid and enforcing someone else's rules. Usually at the expense of people you know and often like.

The large forum I volunteered at actually didn't allow any off-topic conversation. You're never a popular fellow when enforcing that. Oh, you want to talk about bird houses? Find a bird house forum. Your grandkids sure are cute, but how about you talk about that with their grandma? She died? Find a support group. Yeah.

I try to keep in mind that I'm a guest on someone else's dime. If I want to set the rules, I need to start my own forum. I can see the language thing, along with TGP's other rules, as making sense. There are enough employer and institutional content filters out there that they don't want to be blocked by. Once your site is on a block list, it's tough to get it off. That can kill a forum pretty quickly in terms of traffic.

I think my favorite thing when I was a mod were the guys who would violate the rules, then get all butt-hurt about it. No, you don't have freedom of expression here. No, I don't really care. No, it won't help you to insult me, but it will confirm what I already think. Hey, did that guy get banned because he couldn't behave? I bet he doesn't do this crap in public...

The mods are rarely the problem.
i was a sysop and echo moderator in the '80s and '90s and you are not wrong. it's easy to gripe but i would ban half of you for complaining or signifying. 'it's not politics, it's presenting facts...' -- get right out.

the best forum ever had a rule against 'standing on ceremony' and the lawyers there would debate it. good times.

'it's not politics, it's presenting facts...'
A forum full of opinion masquerading as data would give me a headache too - but there's no getting away from the fact that real data isn't politics.

Last edited:
A forum full of opinion masquerading as data would give me a headache too - but there's no getting away from the fact that real data isn't politics.
but does a music gear forum want my opinionated treatise even if it does cite real socioeconomic data? i think it might not.

(i have no opinion or insight into 'the gear page' specifically.)

I swore...I SWORE!!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!! :eek:

tenor.gif

Back