Got banned from TGP, have no idea why...

I can honestly say, I really don't know. I recently started threads extolling the virtues of yacht rock and sophisti-pop.

I wasn't exactly working blue there...
Positive comments on Christopher Cross are a sure fire way to get banned from most sites.*

Comments that could be viewed as in any way critical of preferred vendors or retailers can also get one into hot water with some mods over there, especially if you're reported by multiple fanboys of said vendor/retailer.

OTOH Jay Mitchell has been banned on TGP so you're in great company.

* Now I'll prolly find out PRS is about to release a Christopher Cross Limited Edition and this joke will get me banned from the PRS forum :eek:

Last edited:
I personally change the channel when I am offended (which is as rare as a great guitar player living in my body, although that player shreds in my head)! I think that is why they have the option on most forums to block content from other users!! Could be wrong, and I am sure someone will try to explain how I am, at which point, I will change the channel!!! Sticks and stones will break my bones and insults will get me cancelled (I think that is how it goes these days)!!!!

somebody doesn't like redheads.
Yeah, I imagine it’s a tough road.

I checked at lunch, the post I reference at TGP was 14 years ago. 2008! So it's like you told your mom something you did in 8th grade, and you didn't think it was that serious at all, but she said that know that she knows, she's going to give you a spanking.
Man, you must have the biggest penis on the forum, ‘cause you keep stepping on it. :p

Years ago, I was a global mod at a couple of forums. One was larger than TGP. phillybri, you may not have been banned. Your IP address may have been banned. Two very different things.

We’d sometimes get spammed or have a problem individual create multiple accounts. It’s not a good solution, but banning an IP address or range of addresses was the only way to resolve an issue. That can lead to some unintended bannings.

If you computer can’t get you there, try your phone when it’s not connected to your home Wi-Fi.

Does anybody know why they've been banned over there?

I sure as hell don't. I've also never been told why I was banned other than the generic "rules violation" or whatever they say. Wow really? Never would've guessed. Apparently I'm not the Sherlock that I thought I was. :rolleyes:

After the first couple of temp bans, I really played it safe but still got the perma maybe 2 years ago. That place is a joke. They don't realize the good info they're missing out on because they banned someone just for sneezing sideways.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that the response we're posting as simple text may not be received by those reading out posts in the manner it was intended - especially now that we're all conditioned to be offended. When communicating on the phone we have voice inflections, on video we have facial expressions and voice inflections, in person we have body language + facial expressions + voice inflections - all can be used to convey meaning that plain text does not and when humor/satire/irony are involved the plain text may not convey that which our non-verbal communications convey.

These situations remind me of the interchange from the movie Contact where Dr. Ellie Arroway is interviewed for the seat on the 'machine':

Panel member : If you were to meet these Vegans, and were permitted only one question to ask of them, what would it be?

Dr. Ellie Arroway : Well, I suppose it would be, how did you do it? How did you evolve, how did you survive this technological adolescence without destroying yourself?

All this has me wondering if in the past, when communication was by letter and delivery took days or weeks with no "unsend" or "delete", the reason the language was so formal and specific was to ensure their words were not misinterpreted and/or misconstrued.

I would like to apologize to anyone I’ve offended. I’d also like to reiterate that it was 14 years ago and was only brought up as an example. I also understand that it was wrong in this context and in that context where it was said, as others were present who don’t know me, the way the person I said it to does. This is not meant to be too heavy, but I’ve had a couple nice conversations with people here today and I now understand what my problem is, and yes, I am taking the blame for the problem. The content of this thread has made it clear to me that my character here is not strong enough that this would not even be questioned as to meaning or intent. Rather than try to refute it with things that would defend my character, I’ll take it as it is. I apologize for getting too caught up in believing that “surely nobody would believe I could think that way. They know me better than that.“ But that’s not how it is and it is MY fault for thinking otherwise.

I also admit to (and apologize for) overreacting today, because I was offended that someone would question my character and not know me better than that. But I now understand that and again, apologize. In hind site, I sure as crap wish I hadn’t brought it up. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to apologize to anyone I’ve offended. I’d also like to reiterate that it was 14 years ago and was only brought up as an example. I also understand that it was wrong in this context and in that context where it was said, as others were present who don’t know me, the way the person I said it to does. This is not meant to be too heavy, but I’ve had a couple nice conversations with people here today and I now understand what my problem is, and yes, I am taking the blame for the problem. The content of this thread has made it clear to me that my character here is not strong enough that this would not even be questioned as to meaning or intent. Rather than try to refute it with things that would defend my character, I’ll take it as it is. I apologize for getting too caught up in believing that “surely nobody would believe I could think that way. They know me better than that.“ But that’s now how it is and it is MY fault for thinking otherwise.

I also admit to (and apologize for) overreacting today, because I was offended that someone would question my character and not know me better than that. But I now understand that and again, apologize. In hindsite, I sure as crap wish I hadn’t brought it up. :eek:
You have nothing to worry about IMHO.

Well, isn't this what you get in a world where
- people interact in one language, however with different native tongues (lost in translation)
- there are different cultures that are interacting more and more, without clear rules of engagement.
- we are getting more and more devided -even within countries - and less tolerant towards other ideas, people or cultures
- the basic attitude is one of scepsis instead of general wondering

There is a basic attitude that people feel offended, shoot first and ask questions later. Wouldn't the world (and fora where people from all over the world interact) be a better place if the first thing we do is ask a question and keep our guns holstered?

Last edited:
Back