Got back in the gym during quarantine

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I had let myself go...BAD.... I got back into the gym about a month into lockdown. Partially because every time I saw someone that wasn't a senior citizen die of the virus, they seemed to be-------how do I phrase this in a politically correct way------"not as in shape as perhaps some others". So, I suppose, fear was a motivator to get back to working out. I was out of work, so I was broke, so the eating out/fast food thing was drastically reduced to almost zero. So about three and a half moths back in and there is a bit of visual progress.

109971061_10163922761385331_5748078796122511089_o.jpg

Congrats on sticking to it.

My personal weight has peaked at 223 and my back is bellying (curving inwards) forward. Am currently doing some PT to strengthen the swayback, and mitigate any pain associated. Therapist has me doing some Feldenkrais exercises (see YT) for the lower back pain, and some upper body stretching for some old injury-caused shoulder impingement.

All this has to occur before the gym trainer will sign off on allowing me to use the shoulder machines. Could use some core strengthening exercises, but will need to put in the walking miles and calisthenics before the pounds will come off. Will also need to invest in 3 targeted gym trainer sessions for a tailored gym workout, then can switch things up once my strength improves and more cardio can be added.

Let us know how you're doing...could use some inspiration and motivation myself...

Congrats on sticking to it.

My personal weight has peaked at 223 and my back is bellying (curving inwards) forward. Am currently doing some PT to strengthen the swayback, and mitigate any pain associated. Therapist has me doing some Feldenkrais exercises (see YT) for the lower back pain, and some upper body stretching for some old injury-caused shoulder impingement.

All this has to occur before the gym trainer will sign off on allowing me to use the shoulder machines. Could use some core strengthening exercises, but will need to put in the walking miles and calisthenics before the pounds will come off. Will also need to invest in 3 targeted gym trainer sessions for a tailored gym workout, then can switch things up once my strength improves and more cardio can be added.

Let us know how you're doing...could use some inspiration and motivation myself...
No trainer here. I have all the equipment I need. What I didn't have was the discipline and motivation to do more than eat fast food and drink beer......lol. I once was in shape. Many moons ago. So I know "how" to do it without needing to pay someone to show me.....but that desire to push myself to do it had waned over the years.

This is the "gym" I have pieced together over the years that wasn't getting much use over that amount of time. Amazing how motivating fear can be....lmao!

70649592_10162264787060331_1770967096637784064_o.jpg

Bravo and way-to-go, Dank. That's some serious self-discipline - and regardless of how you look, losing 20 lbs and getting strong again is the right way to go.

(For the record, you appear now to be what a female friend of mine once called "The Human Vee." ;))

I haven't set foot in my (national chain) gym since March because although it's open, the meatheads in it ain't taking this COVID thing seriously. At all. And I'm in a Sunbelt state known for its exploding COVID case load. I'm not going near that place. So I'm trying to run and bike and eat right.

Congrats again. Now, how are your guitar chops? Those little muscles need exercising too!

=K

Impressive! I'm so undisciplined that I have to have scheduled classes or appointments to get myself to work out. With the gyms here closed, my martial arts and strength training have fallen by the wayside in a big way. I manage something a couple of times a month, which is probably worse than no times a month...

More power to you!

I had let myself go...BAD.... I got back into the gym about a month into lockdown. Partially because every time I saw someone that wasn't a senior citizen die of the virus, they seemed to be-------how do I phrase this in a politically correct way------"not as in shape as perhaps some others". So, I suppose, fear was a motivator to get back to working out. I was out of work, so I was broke, so the eating out/fast food thing was drastically reduced to almost zero. So about three and a half moths back in and there is a bit of visual progress.

109971061_10163922761385331_5748078796122511089_o.jpg

The older I get, the harder it is to keep the weight off.
Isn’t it though. I want to blame metabolism changes, but it might just be being able to afford more of the things that taste really good.

But...eating at home all of the time, I am about 2kg lighter than when we last ate out.

As to exercise, without being able to build at Habitat for Humanity, my exercise hours are way up this year: 384 year to date. Daily yoga(ish), 3x a week weights, 3-6 times a week cycling.

Congrats again. Now, how are your guitar chops? Those little muscles need exercising too!
I snitched on myself already for not playing much over the past month on the Electric Instruments section of the forum. *sigh*

Congrats!

After falling into a death spiral of bad habits, I'm trying to clean up my act and do the right thing. The older I get, the harder it is to keep the weight off.

I try to avoid overthinking things, but I can help but remember that my Dad died because of poor health at 61. I'll be 62 myself this year, and hope to enjoy many more years around the sun. It's vitally important to me to eat a balanced diet with moderation to portions and alcohol, do regular moderate exercise, stay clean with routine showers and dental care, and be sure to receive adequate sleep at night.

While most of my days off include mostly sitting behind a desk working on computer or "office" work, the recent high temperature trend outdoors has kept my from enjoying my usual walks down to the park and back after dinner. Instead, I've supplemented my usual walk cardio with PT strengthening and stretching exercises, so that once my shoulder impingement improves, the gym can be used for both strengthening and cardio.

Just happy that I don't need to drive home during rush hour traffic, change clothes, and hit the stacks working out the daily frustrations. While others may do this because the endorphins help you feel better, exercise in itself does not need to be limited to a sport or a gym. Even a few hours working in a garden or building something can be beneficial.

I think the key, at least at this time, IMO, is to not limit yourself to practicing something as much as it involves applying what you know to a variety of activities. If discipline is what you seek, make it a habit of turning off distracting sources and, if necessary, focus more intently on being more efficient with your time, instead of wasting it in front of the tube. That being said, most folks will agree that cleaning up one's act is offset by what is often viewed as "a cautionary tale" whenever we watch TV. I can only stand so much of nonsense before it wears on my tiny brain.

That means you, Shawn! Put down the bowl of chips, go wash up what needs doing and we'll see you in the AM, God-willing. :)

I lost 25 lbs in May. I think I may have had the bad stuff. Sick for 3 straight weeks. I feel great now and have kept the weight off. Been hitting the weights in my basement religiously since Covid became a concern. I used to go to the Y every morning, but I’m afraid to go back yet, frankly. I’ve been riding my ebike a bunch as well. But my new passion is pickleball. Anybody else into that?

Last edited:
Back