Got a new PRS speaker cabinet for my HDRX 20...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
This one:

Scored an open box demo for cheap.

Sealed back and Celestion V Series 12" speaker.

At first I thought I'd have to change the speaker. Sounded a little "lacking" compared to my Matchless cab with Celestion G12H30.

But after playing it for about 20 hours I like it. Not as much as a G12H30 but it sounds fine.

It's breaking in and opening up nicely.

I had these same Celestion "V" speakers in a Blackstar Artist 2 12 combo amp and a Mustang III. I liked them then too.

The amp sounds much, much better through a Celestion than it does the 2 12 VHT cab I was using with two Warehouse Sound Veteran 30's.

That cab is going on Reverb.

Last edited:
If anyone has one of these cabs, I have a question:

What's the secret to getting the back off? It's a sealed cabinet so I can't see the speaker inside.

I removed all of the screws but it's still on tight as a drum.

Can't wedge a tool in there to pry it out without damaging the cab.

I removed the metal plate that the speaker jack is on so I could get a couple of fingers in there and pull the back off.

No dice.

It's pressed in there so tightly that it won't budge.

If anyone has one of these cabs, I have a question:

What's the secret to getting the back off? It's a sealed cabinet so I can't see the speaker inside.

I removed all of the screws but it's still on tight as a drum.

Can't wedge a tool in there to pry it out without damaging the cab.

I removed the metal plate that the speaker jack is on so I could get a couple of fingers in there and pull the back off.

No dice.

It's pressed in there so tightly that it won't budge.

Sometimes the tolex binds if it’s a tight fit. Removing the jack plate is your best bet for getting a good grip to pull it out. Maybe try leaving it out in the cold garage (weather permitting depending on where you live) to see if you can get some help from materials contracting a little?

Another trick is to put a couple screws in the holes in one corner, just deep enough to go into the back panel, and use those as a handle to loosen the corners one by one.

Those things can be a pain though, regardless

Sometimes the tolex binds if it’s a tight fit. Removing the jack plate is your best bet for getting a good grip to pull it out. Maybe try leaving it out in the cold garage (weather permitting depending on where you live) to see if you can get some help from materials contracting a little?

Another trick is to put a couple screws in the holes in one corner, just deep enough to go into the back panel, and use those as a handle to loosen the corners one by one.

Those things can be a pain though, regardless
Man, it is super bound. I know it's not glued but it feels as solid as if it is.

Can't get it to budge and I can't pry it loose without damaging the "tolex".

Last edited:
Just a random, no experience thought - lube it with silicone spray? Could also try armor all. I remember using armor all inside a car on seats and steering wheel. The damn thin was almost un-drivable it was so slick! Again, just a random thought from someone who has never done this, so caveat emptor…

Just a random, no experience thought - lube it with silicone spray? Could also try armor all. I remember using armor all inside a car on seats and steering wheel. The damn thin was almost un-drivable it was so slick! Again, just a random thought from someone who has never done this, so caveat emptor…
I'll try it. Dribble some down the inside edges. See if it loosens up.

I like the Chinese made V Series Celestion speaker. It's not great but it's very good.

But I have a favorite old Celestion G12 alnico I want to put in there.

Might even experiment with a 1/2 back like old Boogies or a Fender combo style open back.

I have plywood and tools.

I like the Chinese made V Series Celestion speaker. It's not great but it's very good.

The V-Type is a very nice speaker, although in my opinion not always being used in its best application in the PRS cabs. I like it most in an open back - where a V30 can be too laser focused on that mid frequency peak in an open back, the V-Type shines, with more low mid and a less peaky top end. Just more balanced. I have one in an open 1x12 I built, and love it with my Sweet 16, especially with the Silver Sky.

The G12 Alnico could be fantastic - I play my HDRX through an Alnico Cream 1x12 and get great tones. As well as with the H75 Creambacks in the matching HDRX 2x12. I think the Marshall heritage means the HDRX will go well with anything in the Greenback vein, like the Cream/Creambacks, and the G12H30. G12-65’s might be cool, too.

The V-Type is a very nice speaker, although in my opinion not always being used in its best application in the PRS cabs. I like it most in an open back - where a V30 can be too laser focused on that mid frequency peak in an open back, the V-Type shines, with more low mid and a less peaky top end. Just more balanced. I have one in an open 1x12 I built, and love it with my Sweet 16, especially with the Silver Sky.

The G12 Alnico could be fantastic - I play my HDRX through an Alnico Cream 1x12 and get great tones. As well as with the H75 Creambacks in the matching HDRX 2x12. I think the Marshall heritage means the HDRX will go well with anything in the Greenback vein, like the Cream/Creambacks, and the G12H30. G12-65’s might be cool, too.
I have a Blackstar Artist 30 open back combo amp with two V-Type Celestions. It's a great sounding amp. Sort of like an AC30 and just as heavy unfortunately!

The Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb comes with one of those stock.
open-back 1x12 combo

Well I've had enough. Hair drier, leaving it in the sun, pounding and pulling...

I'm going to jig saw a hole big enough to get my hand in there and pull the back off.

Then, being a furniture maker, reconfigure it to an open back cabinet and put my old Celestion G12 Alnico in there.

Well I've had enough. Hair drier, leaving it in the sun, pounding and pulling...

I'm going to jig saw a hole big enough to get my hand in there and pull the back off.

Then, being a furniture maker, reconfigure it to an open back cabinet and put my old Celestion G12 Alnico in there.
I wanted an open back cab anyway...

Use a 4” hole saw a call it a “port”.
Instantly adds $150 to the value.

Use a 4” hole saw a call it a “port”.
Instantly adds $150 to the value.
I like the concept!

This is going to work out fine eventually.

I'm only bummed that getting the back off cleanly is so difficult.

They must have pressed it down and then screwed it on with an elephant standing on it...

I’m thinking back to Whinny the Poo. Dynamite? Good idear!

Back