Got a Brent Mason showing up tomorrow - tell me about them!!

markd21

Title says it all.....

What can you guys tell me about the guitar? I notice it has a few things "different", like the scale. How does that feel? Are these guitars "snappier" (more tele-like) in anyway over other models? Anybody have any advice on getting some killer country clean tones (pickup configs, etc.)?

Basically just wanna hear about the guitar and your experiences with it. I am pretty pumped (as usual)!!

A Swiss army knife of a guitar that has a unique voice.

Cool. I am hoping to be able to make this my "A-list" session guitar. Makes sense, right? I am more than happy to bring a few with me, but a lot of the times the 'artist' doesn't want to pay for me to try tones. Some artists or "producers" will be able to give me a reference sound and I can pre-figure what I need. Others can only ballpark it, while some have no idea.....

I figure the BM will be a great tool to have in the quiver for those "uhhh, I don't know" situations, lol.

Cool. I am hoping to be able to make this my "A-list" session guitar. Makes sense, right? I am more than happy to bring a few with me, but a lot of the times the 'artist' doesn't want to pay for me to try tones. Some artists or "producers" will be able to give me a reference sound and I can pre-figure what I need. Others can only ballpark it, while some have no idea.....

I figure the BM will be a great tool to have in the quiver for those "uhhh, I don't know" situations, lol.

Yeah definitely. Want a mean humbucker sound? Bridge pickup with town down some. Country twang? Split bridge pickup with tone up. Quack? Split pickups in pos 2 or 4. Etc...

Only thing it needs is a switch to allow bridge/neck combos.

25 1/4 scale like the DC3 and 509/513 ( Really like the scale length ) also has the same body shape as the DC 3 super comfy
PRS Narrow field pickups ( I have these in a Brushstroke 24 ) killer pickup can go from rock to country really easily cuts thru a mix really well.
The center 305 pickup is great fun ( I have this in my DC3 and 513 )
Congrats on the new addition ( Pics or it an Epiphone )

25 1/4 scale like the DC3 and 509/513 ( Really like the scale length ) also has the same body shape as the DC 3 super comfy
PRS Narrow field pickups ( I have these in a Brushstroke 24 ) killer pickup can go from rock to country really easily cuts thru a mix really well.

How obviously different is the scale length? I gel best with the 24.5 these days....

Narrow 408 pickups, not Narrowfield pickups.

Piece of cake. The "bridge on" or "neck on" mod is very common on Strats, and easy to do.

Sweet. I opened my Paul's Guitar once....those 408 pickups seem to have a few extra wires. Any experience doing the mod, or do you know what wire is what?

Never played one, but would like to. You're on a roll! Looking forward to your NGD, and write up. Hope there's a Hallmark movie on at the time!

LOL. Nah, there won't be a Hallmark movie this time. School's back in session and I am having the BM delivered here. The kids will get to see me unbox it. That makes for a unique story in itself because EVERY kid has "one just like that!", lol....

Yeah, I have been on a roll lately. Enough so that I gotta let one go to balance the Mason. This one makes 11 PRS' and the agreement is I can keep 10 PRS' since they are expensive, lol. It can be 10 PS guitars, but not 11 - silly, but it's the agreement I have with my wife....who is VERY awesome and accepting of my Guitar Acquisition issues....so I am guessing the Eriza Verde MC58 will be on the block soon. I play it the least out of all of them....

I'll snap some pics and do a written review. Hopefully I can get the desire back to do some video reviews for my YT channel again. I was digging that for a while, but then got totally burned out with how much work it was on top of everything else I do....

LOL. Nah, there won't be a Hallmark movie this time. School's back in session and I am having the BM delivered here. The kids will get to see me unbox it. That makes for a unique story in itself because EVERY kid has "one just like that!", lol....

Yeah, I have been on a roll lately. Enough so that I gotta let one go to balance the Mason. This one makes 11 PRS' and the agreement is I can keep 10 PRS' since they are expensive, lol. It can be 10 PS guitars, but not 11 - silly, but it's the agreement I have with my wife....who is VERY awesome and accepting of my Guitar Acquisition issues....so I am guessing the Eriza Verde MC58 will be on the block soon. I play it the least out of all of them....

I'll snap some pics and do a written review. Hopefully I can get the desire back to do some video reviews for my YT channel again. I was digging that for a while, but then got totally burned out with how much work it was on top of everything else I do....

That is a more than awesome agreement! Good "better half" you have!

That is a more than awesome agreement! Good "better half" you have!

Right on! She's the second wife, lol. The first wife thought the bands and music would stop after we got married - even though we were young when we got married. After 10 years and she saw it wasn't gonna end, things started to end with us. When I started dating the current wife, her first visit to my place was a shocker. The back of the house was a studio and I had two Rivera full-stacks in the living room with guitars hung on the walls. There was also a gumball machine filled with cashews, but the rest was VERY intimidated, lol.

The funny part? She was afraid I would serenade her at some point!!!! She said her prior boyfriend would grab his acoustic and sing to her - and that it was VERY "awkward" and "uncomfortable".

She was also concerned I was a "poser", but when she saw my band opening for Kamelot she realized I was a "legit musician" - the quotes denote words SHE uses, lol.....

Sweet. I opened my Paul's Guitar once....those 408 pickups seem to have a few extra wires. Any experience doing the mod, or do you know what wire is what?

Yeah they do have an extra wire, but that's no problem. You're just putting a breakable jumper between two lugs on the switch.

This one shows "neck on" but you can easily make it "bridge on" by connecting to the bridge pickup lug instead.
neck_on_howto.gif

Right on! She's the second wife, lol. The first wife thought the bands and music would stop after we got married - even though we were young when we got married. After 10 years and she saw it wasn't gonna end, things started to end with us. When I started dating the current wife, her first visit to my place was a shocker. The back of the house was a studio and I had two Rivera full-stacks in the living room with guitars hung on the walls. There was also a gumball machine filled with cashews, but the rest was VERY intimidated, lol.

The funny part? She was afraid I would serenade her at some point!!!! She said her prior boyfriend would grab his acoustic and sing to her - and that it was VERY "awkward" and "uncomfortable".

She was also concerned I was a "poser", but when she saw my band opening for Kamelot she realized I was a "legit musician" - the quotes denote words SHE uses, lol.....

Nice! I dig Kamelot, but the gumball machine with cashews is GENIUS!

They’re phenomenal guitars! It’s definitely an all around guitar for sure. I had to adjust my pickups a little lower to get a better single coil difference with the switching, which sounds better to me anyway. It’s an awesome guitar.
You’re going to love the feel of the neck...beautiful satiny smooth. Quick question...did you buy off Reverb? I have mine up for sale on Reverb now. There was one other one on there just like mine...tobacco burst.
I’m definitely going to miss it when it sells. Planning on getting a private stock and I have to let one go. Definitely a tough decision, but I’ll never sell my Sunburst 22 or my McCarty korina soapbar, soooo... Enjoy!

Back