Goodbye Mira ~ I'll never forget you

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStarr

Banned
3b5c8771-bd33-422c-a9d8-a62942f85e35_zps8eb4565d.jpg

Well, after a lengthy discussion with my wife last night, I've come to the conclusion that I'll be losing my beloved Mira. Based strictly on my skill set, the wife hasn't been exactly pleased with the amount of $$$ I've spent on guitars and equipment in the past few months. She may be right when she says "You don't need $3000 worth of guitars at your skill level." I begrudgingly admitted that she may be right. So, in an effort to maintain marital bliss, I'm selling off everything except my Classic Vibe Tele. I'll be using the iPad for practice, so that means the Super Champ head and cab are going too.

I didn't want any of you to figure me as a chump if you saw my Mira on Reverb... especially after my rave reviews. It simply boils down to trying to make my wife happy and avoid further conflict. I'm little bummed, but suspected that it was coming at some point.

I'll pop my head in here every now and then to say hi, but I've truly enjoyed my short time here. I should have prefaced my story with the details of our new home purchase and a teenager starting college. This is what really started this whole thing with the wife. And you know what they say... Happy wife, happy life.

Last edited:
I dunno man... I fully understand and support your decision to be reasonable with your wife and keep the relationship strong. But if you think you plan on spending a lot of time playing, and want to get more serious, that gear will serve you well. The Mira will hold up a lot better over time, and be more versatile. And the super champ can do a lot, and is a very economical piece of equipment.

Any chance you could appease the wife by selling the tele and iPad? You'd probably get half of what you'd get for the Mira and champ.

That's just my 2 cents. Obviously you have finances and the maze of female emotion to deal with, so if the Mira has to go, I would never knock you for that. Just hate to see you lose a piece of gear you obviously enjoy!

Very sad post...but I can relate. I'm divorced now, but during my marriage I was coerced into selling my prized '78 Les Paul standard my father purchased for me new because we were going through financial problems for a short time. I should have NEVER done it. Money can be made...but my LP was irreplaceable.

Well, after a lengthy discussion with my wife last night, I've come to the conclusion that I'll be losing my beloved Mira. Based strictly on my skill set, the wife hasn't been exactly pleased with the amount of $$$ I've spent on guitars and equipment in the past few months. She may be right when she says "You don't need $3000 worth of guitars at your skill level." I begrudgingly admitted that she may be right. So, in an effort to maintain marital bliss, I'm selling off everything except my Classic Vibe Tele. I'll be using the iPad for practice, so that means the Super Champ head and cab are going too.

I didn't want any of you to figure me as a chump if you saw my Mira on Reverb... especially after my rave reviews. It simply boils down to trying to make my wife happy and avoid further conflict. I'm little bummed, but suspected that it was coming at some point.

I'll pop my head in here every now and then to say hi, but I've truly enjoyed my short time here. I should have prefaced my story with the details of our new home purchase and a teenager starting college. This is what really started this whole thing with the wife. And you know what they say... Happy wife, happy life.

Ask her how many shoes she needs. Better yet...maybe keep that to yourself.

I too have vastly outspent my skill level...

It is sad but me being left handed, I wield a double edge sword. One, not as many left handed guitars out there that I can get in trouble with compared to right handed ones. Two, more difficult to sell and not get as much Money for then so...might as well keep them. Good thing I am in a profession that offers me a bit more leeway.

Since I am firmly middle aged, I can comment on this one.
Skill level makes no difference on the amount or quantity of equipment you own.
Marriage is a two way street ( Married for 30 years ) only once did I sell guitar gear to buy family items ( when we were first married sold a MKII Boogie for furniture ) I had 2 so that was OK.
If you are struggling financially and are going without necessary items then selling guitar gear makes some sense , I find a better return is to look over the household bills and look for savings big money can be saved by changing
Insurance, cable TV , memberships etc , and these saving last forever not a onetime cash in flow from selling items. I am betting that your guitar gear is not the root of any money issues you might have.
Since you will most likely loose money on the guitar sale I would look at all other avenues first.
Your wife will be happier with a long term belt tightening that includes savings it will also open up the possibility of a happier life.
My 2 cents
Good Luck.
PS Keep the Mira and a nice amp sell the extra if you must.

Since I am firmly middle aged, I can comment on this one.
Skill level makes no difference on the amount or quantity of equipment you own.
Marriage is a two way street ( Married for 30 years ) only once did I sell guitar gear to buy family items ( when we were first married sold a MKII Boogie for furniture ) I had 2 so that was OK.
If you are struggling financially and are going without necessary items then selling guitar gear makes some sense , I find a better return is to look over the household bills and look for savings big money can be saved by changing
Insurance, cable TV , memberships etc , and these saving last forever not a onetime cash in flow from selling items. I am betting that your guitar gear is not the root of any money issues you might have.
Since you will most likely loose money on the guitar sale I would look at all other avenues first.
Your wife will be happier with a long term belt tightening that includes savings it will also open up the possibility of a happier life.
My 2 cents
Good Luck.
PS Keep the Mira and a nice amp sell the extra if you must.

Totally agree...keep your nice gear...your skill level will improve as a result.

Also been there myself. And I am sure someday I will decide to let one or two go if I really need to for something for my kids. I have the luxury of an understanding family, and I am thankful for that.

But for the couple hundred bucks extra you'll get for the Mira, especially after the TLC you've put into her, I think it makes alot of sense to keep her. As understanding as my wife is, she still looks and goes "red guitar, blue guitar" and doesn't understand the differences - even when I play some back to back, she just doesn't hear the difference.

At the end of the day, you have to sleep in the bed you make - so it's your decision, but that's my 2c...make up the difference some other way, get rid of all the other music stuff if you have to, but keep the Mira.

If the Mira and the amp were just sitting, collecting dust, I'd understand. But, if you actually play both and want to improve, keeping the Mira is a better choice. Than keeping the Tele.

Surely there are ways you could cover the expense by cutting elsewhere. Less eating out, sacrifices in clothing choices (yeah, HER'S too because marriage IS about compromise an SUPPORT too), etc. What dream of hers have you killed lately? Does she have something she spends money on that is not YOUR passion?

We obviously haven't heard the conversation with your wife, but is seems like you are getting shafted.

Sell the Tele and the big amp, get a smaller practice amp and work out an understanding where you, personally, will make sacrifices to save the money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Much more money is to be saved/gained by looking at r
the whole picture...I'm about to cancel my cable(I can see everything I want online) to save $150 a month. That's every month. The money you get for your gear will be gone and where will that leave you? Looking to where you can really trim /save...

having recently gone through a divorce and with a daughter starting college in the fall, I am going through the same choices...

One question to ask yourself. What happens when you do get to that skill level, then what ? . You sold most of your gear and the prices would be going up on equipment. Not a wise decision IMO .

If she really loves you, she would not ask you to part with what you love, regardless of skill level. It takes more than a handful of gear to break up a relationship.

There's a bit more to this story as well. We have a close friend that is on her last days with battling cancer. We have committed a fairly large donation to make her final wish come true, which is to marry her long time fiancee. With this and my daughter's grad party in front of us, we've needed to really keep close watch on our spending without having to use credit. I'm making this temporary sacrifice with the bigger picture in mind, and there will be other guitars. I told her today that all of these things are far more important than my hobby, and I understand her point regarding the fact that I don't need so much cash wrapped up in my "toys." Besides, I get a good feeling inside when I'm a little more selfless in my decisions. My wife is great woman, but she's also a bit more frugal and logical when it comes to spending. Except for her Hummer H3... I still give her sh*t about that all the time!

Last edited:
Not that your relationship would do this, but I bought my first PRS with my tax return money (my wife agreed) and a few months later, and through no fault of spending the money, we were divorcing. The months I spent agonizing over the life change that comes from divorce were made livable by playing my guitar. If the guitar holds little intrinsic value then sure, sell it. If you are troubled by selling it...don't. I would look for some other way to meet the bills...like sell the Tele and the iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back