Good Trade??

88prs

OCD for PRS
I have a chance to trade a 2013 Gibson R8 for a New Old Stock 2007 Custom 24 10 top, immaculate top, dead mint, been in the warehouse.

Good Trade? The R8 new price is probably 2-3K higher while a Custom 24 has only gone up ~1k

I want a new PRS bad! but I have 3......

The new guitar pricing does not set the playing field for used guitar trades, IMO. What you paid and what he paid isn't the playing field either. What the R8 could deliver now, and what the Cu24 could deliver now is a fair measure of their relative worth. Check the eBay "sold" prices for both and you will come to understand where each is currently.

The real measure of whether or not the Cu24 is worth the R8 is up to you. Only you know how much you value the R8 and how much a Cu24 is needed in your assemblage of wood and metal. If you think it's worth it, it's worth it, period.

Nah...

If it were me, I’d sell the R8 instead, LP’s always sell. Then you can buy like, two used CU24s.

I'm with Sergio. A quick glance at Reverb has 2010s R8s in the $3,400 range. You could grab a couple of used Cores for that. Now, if that NOS Cu24 has some Brazzy on it, or it was really, really something I was fond of, I might make that trade.

In my mind, I would rather have a guitar that I love to play and enjoy the sound rather than have a guitar that is nothing but dead money. By dead money, I mean it has financial worth but has no 'value' to you because you don't want or use it. If an opportunity comes up to get a guitar that maybe financially worth less but to you has value as an instrument, then why not trade? You are getting something that will bring you pleasure for something that's just sitting there. My guitars are worth more to me than their financial value because I get a lot of enjoyment from them - I wouldn't sell for their 'guide' price.

If there is a big financial difference, you can ask for some money as part of the trade - a guitar + cash for your R8 for example or sell the R8 at a 'competitive' price to sell and use the money to buy the guitar you want. The value though is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. It doesn't matter what someone else has priced their guitars on Reverb for example because if no one is willing to spend that much on it, it won't sell and most put a 'higher' asking price up knowing that people will make a lower offer.

There is no right/wrong answer here - just what's right for you. If the PRS is going to bring you a lot more joy than the R8, it maybe worth losing something on the financial side of the trade - a lot of people sell guitars at a loss to raise funds so it enables them to buy something else that they wanted more - especially if they buy (and bought) new.

If you want a Cu24 35th anniversary more, then perhaps sell the R8 and use that money to make the purchase...

You can find R8's for around $2800. A good R8 is a sweet guitar to have and you have to play a few to get to the really good ones. The Custom 24's that I am seeing are generally in that ball park and are more consistent IMO. If I had a few of one and wanted the other I might do a trade - as long as it was something I really wanted and not just GAS. ;)

Late to the party here, but just had a recent “awesome Les Paul for PRS trade” choice of my own to make. Wasn’t playing the Gibson, though it was nice to have the “have a Les Paul?” box checked off in my guitar list. Decided to buy a SC594, and sold the LP to pay for it. Result? Zero regrets, 100% happy to have a guitar I’m enjoying.

Sell, and buy what you will play!

BTW, I still have the LP box checked off. The 594 is a better Les Paul than my Les Paul was. Odd how that seems to work out!

Last edited:
Back