Good trade?

celtic757

I'm downsizing my cab yet again. Going from a 2x12 to a 1x12.

So I've got my 2x12 recto cab listed for sale/trade, and have been offered a trade for a thiele. It's one of the older ones judging by the mesa badge.

My cab is a 2013. Great condition. Few scratches on the tolex. The thiele looks to be in great shape.

I'll be running my Archon 25 through it. The thiele has a v30 in it. I've got one of the newer thieles with a C90 for my mini mark. What would be the big difference. I really like the mini mark/thiele combo I've got going on.

Do you think my 2x12 for the thiele plus $175 cash is a good trade?

If you've been using a 2x12 for a long time, going to a 1x12 I believe will be a different sound to your ears.

I've been getting rid of my 4x12's in favor of 2x12's. I have a 1x12 (Marshall 1912) but I think the 2x12's are a better balance of good sound and ease of transportation than the cabinet sizes in either direction. I'll go back to 4x12's when I start playing stadiums and can afford to pay a group of loyal roadies to move them.

I am not a good reference as to whether that's a good trade. However, I do have thoughts...

If you have a thiele already and dig it, that's good. I heard one once like 20 years ago and was very surprised. I normally can't stand 1x12 cabs, just very one dimensional to my ears. This was the only one I have ever liked.

I also think if you have two amps and two 1x12 cabs, that gives you options. Playing an outdoor gig? Bring both cabs. Also the fact that they have different speakers is great. You can mix and match and vary up your tone.

I have to agree with some of the other mentions, a 2x12 is going to have a much better sound than a 1x12.
If size and weight of your rig is the issue I can understand but was going to sell my 2x12 and go 1x12 like you, but the bottom end just disappeared when I went to one speaker.

Price wise that's a good deal on your end. I can't answer the question of sound difference between the cab loaded with V30 vs the 90.

Back