Good stablemate for Cu22 and 513, potential Tremonti replacement - Piezo??

Snoopygore71

Land Of Oz
Hi all,

Noted the incoming P245 and was wondering if I have a gap in the stable.

The 513 gets the most love, ironically it has the biggest neck and heavist gauge strings (11-52's) whereas I have small hands. I have preferred the Wide Thin necks but the longer scale and 513 carve make sense somehow. I also use the 513 and mess with the 5 way and 3 way heaps. Tonally this guitar is my Stratish replacement. My CU22 is light, sports the 3 way toggle and pull split. This guitar is a gem and gets more time than my 94 Fender Strat Deluxe.

I also have a Tremonti trem, I like this guitar but it is a case queen. Then my mind goes how much I would like a guitar with a piezo. So I tried a P24, P22 and a Hollowbody Singlecut with piezo. I was not blown away by any means and admit that it was not set up seperately to really demonstrate the piezo system that well.

I played a Paul's Guitar and 408 but did not get the chance to really let loose. I didn't warm to the PG neck profile and the 408 was pattern thin so was more my cup of tea. Soundwise the PG and 408 definitely sounded right, I guess there is a difference bwtween the two. Played a 408 AP with IRW neck and was actually surprised that I did not gell with it.

I think another problem was the environment at the guitar shop and the amp was an AC30. I generally use Mesa's and black/silver face Fenders with my pedalboard. I also has wife and 2 daughters hanging around!

Ideally I would like a P408 Trem, that is less an option I guess otherwise I would go a PS, but lack $$.

So the P245, singlecut, splits for P/U and piezo, is this a guitar I should consider? Is the shortscale and neck profile going to be a challenge.

Please weigh in as much with comments, I do not necessarily see myself writing off any PRS but have found playing a range of guitars as different as night and day. As with the 513, I had to take my time to know the guitar better. My logic could be faulty with the other guitars.

Last edited:
I really should grab my SE CU 24 more just to acquire the wide thin neck familiarity with it, but I can't seem to keep my hands off the Paul's Guitar's neck. That satin finish Pattern Regular just feels the best. But, then, I kinda have very limited experience compared to most others posting here. Just my $.02.

Testing the LR Baggs piezo preamp without a dedicated acoustic amp to let it shine is the same as not even testing it.

The P22/P24 models are McCarty thickness to add tonal weight and make enough room for the preamp in the cavity. It makes for an excellent guitar.

Testing the LR Baggs piezo preamp without a dedicated acoustic amp to let it shine is the same as not even testing it.

The P22/P24 models are McCarty thickness to add tonal weight and make enough room for the preamp in the cavity. It makes for an excellent guitar.
Yeah, I'd really try out a P24 with pattern thin and try it with an acoustic amp. The neck profile seems a big enough issue that I'm not sure I'd stray if I were you.

Back