Good small amp?

abestein

Hey guys, I am looking to get a small amp and wanted to see what some suggestions would be. I say small because I am in an apartment and don't want to bother my roommate or the neighbors, and I would more than likely play with headphones in most of the time, or on low volume, but i would still like something that still sounds great when I can play with the volume up. Trying to keep it under 80 since I am on a tight budget after dropping a good bit on the guitar. Used is fine too

Save your money up a bit longer and pickup one of those Yamaha THR10 amps. It's a bedroom player's dream. If your budget is really $800, then your options open up, considerably.

I have one, great for sounding "BIG" even at a whisper, but can get loud even for an apartment if you turn it up.

Save your money up a bit longer and pickup one of those Yamaha THR10 amps. It's a bedroom player's dream. If your budget is really $800, then your options open up, considerably.
Yep, I'm gonna vote this way too. I have one, and it's a great little amp with some built in effects. Perfect for your situation.

I gotta agree with the guys...most $80 amps sound like $80 amps, so save a little more ...it'll be worth the wait. Personal opinion ...stay away from China or Indonesia made...Korean a little better quality.

I would look at one of the little Voxes. They're okay, the one I have has a headphone jack, but I think is out of your budget ($200, IIRC).
...but i would still like something that still sounds great when I can play with the volume up.
Yeah, you're not going to find this for $80. It's the trinity, you can only have two -- cheap, sounds good, and ...uh... I forget the third one, maybe loud. I'd get a Vox amPlug until I could afford a bigger amp.

I would look at one of the little Voxes. They're okay, the one I have has a headphone jack, but I think is out of your budget ($200, IIRC).Yeah, you're not going to find this for $80. It's the trinity, you can only have two -- cheap, sounds good, and ...uh... I forget the third one, maybe loud. I'd get a Vox amPlug until I could afford a bigger amp.

Fast, inexpensive, or high quality. Choose any two...

The guitar is only half of the "good tone" equation, at best. The amp is hugely important, some think more important than the guitar.

Don't expect good tone for the price of a piece of junk.

Get the Yamaha THR10C. I have one and it sounds great. It'd meet your needs perfectly.

I've got one of those mini amps. I keep forgetting I have it. I don't use it much and the dials got real gravely sounding when moved but it is a very interesting experience in that it sounds like you are waking up everyone in the neighborhood but only you can hear it.
I'll admit it's limiting, but it sounds pretty good. I got one to take while traveling to China. It's a great tool to use with my SE and a set of earphones, sitting in the hotel room awake with Jet lag.

I got one of these in a trade and it's a nice bedroom volume amp but needs pedals to get anything more than crunch.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V5Infinium

I saw a Peavy studio pro 40 yesterday @ a small item shop for 50 dollars.I went online last night and did a search and they go for around 150-200 dollars.Are they good for small apt playing/headphones?
Been disabled since 2001 hence the extremely low budget.

If you want something inexpensive and really decent with headphones, the older line 6 emulators are less than $100 and really quite good. I have a pod pro rack that is great for practice. I see them for $75 generally.

If you have an $80 budget (and also have a small cab lying around) this could be the best $80 you spend - 5W HotOne "British Invasion" or "Purple Wind" micro amp head. Takes pedals really well, and the effects loop is a great feature. Headphone/Line Out, and an Aux In (nice for jamming along to another music source.)
FPJQ1Rk.jpg

Back