Good PRS Core model to compliment Gibson SG

I have had equal luck on both sites. But I ask a lot of questions and I cut right to the chase with the sellers. I have bought several guitars new but nowadays, I focus mostly on the used market...

My recommendation is to check feedback and ask questions.
Sage advice...

I vote for the “sell the SG” advice. Just doing basic math, you should be close to the 2£, it’ll take to buy a very good, used PRS core. It’s more than worth the investment, because you’ll have a lifetime partner! Any of the 22 fret models will have you feeling right at home, as most of those have the “pattern/wide fat” neck profile.. Good luck, and happy hunting!

Although I’m a fan of PRS guitars, I never ceased to also be a fan of Gibson, especially LPs and SGs. If you had a LP and wanted to complement it with a PRS, I’d say go for the Mira. Since you have a SG and want a PRS complement, I’d say McCarty or a Single Cut 594, but probably a @McCarty.

The neck depth on the McCarty is very similar to my 59 reissue LP. The neck thickness of the 594 is closer to a 58, as Mozzi very accurately characterized. Regarding the body thickness, the McCarty thicker than Custom 22/24, double cut 594 thicker than McCarty, and single cut 594 thicker yet than the double cut 594. However, all have belly carves and are very comfortable. You can easily find a McCarty and a double cut 594 that weigh less than 8 lbs. I actually think that you’d be hard press to find a McCarty that surpass the 8lbs mark. My McCarty and double cut 594 weighs 7 lbs 10 oz and 7 lbs 6 oz respectively (yes my 594 turned out to be lighter). As an SG player you’ll probably find the on average lighter weight on the McCarty and DC 594 more comfortable than the single cut 594, which are normally a bit over 8 lbs, though sub 8 lbs are not unheard of.

My gateway drug to PRS was the McCarty. I had played other PRSi before and really liked them, but it wasn’t until the McCarty that I truly became a fan of PRS guitars. My R9 is still one of my untouchable guitars, but now so is my McCarty and 594, and for that matter my reclaimed redwood fender tele as well. Yes the PRS term system is stable and reliable, but I still prefer a fixed bridge.

So first, the bad news- I returned the used SE Zach Meyers I bought a little less than a month ago...it had a blemish in the top (glue smudge?) that I didn't notice in the excitement of the store, but noticed once it was home and it's been eating at me ever since. My wife & daughter think I'm nuts of course (and I probably am), but I just didn't see the issue bothering me any less over time.

Now the good news! Whilst the SE was a $500 purchase, I've talked the better half into letting me put away a couple hundred bucks a month (small raise at work- woo hoo!) toward getting a Core model instead. I owned a CE back in the 90's for a short time & enjoyed it, but am fond of set-neck guitars. I currently have a 2012 (2013 model year) Gibson SG standard- the year they started making them similar to the 61 reissue. I love 'hog guitars, and have admired a few Standard 22's that were all mahogany, but am worried that even with the difference in scale length & pickups, I'd be in the same territory as the SG. I'd like something that provides a little more tonal complexity, so thinking something like a McCarty with a maple top might do the trick...I also tend to like pickups with a little more vintage vibe.

My primary requirements are 1) Core series, 2) hard tail, 3) probably used to maximize bang for buck (budgeting $2K and below). I'd appreciate any observations members might have, especually if you've had/played a similar SG & so know the general tones you can get out of it. I'd have to double check, but think the Gibby has '57 Classic pups.

I have plenty of time before the money accumulates, so no hurry, and thanks in advance!

McCarty.

Although I’m a fan of PRS guitars, I never ceased to also be a fan of Gibson, especially LPs and SGs. If you had a LP and wanted to complement it with a PRS, I’d say go for the Mira. Since you have a SG and want a PRS complement, I’d say McCarty or a Single Cut 594, but probably a @McCarty.

The neck depth on the McCarty is very similar to my 59 reissue LP. The neck thickness of the 594 is closer to a 58, as Mozzi very accurately characterized. Regarding the body thickness, the McCarty thicker than Custom 22/24, double cut 594 thicker than McCarty, and single cut 594 thicker yet than the double cut 594. However, all have belly carves and are very comfortable. You can easily find a McCarty and a double cut 594 that weigh less than 8 lbs. I actually think that you’d be hard press to find a McCarty that surpass the 8lbs mark. My McCarty and double cut 594 weighs 7 lbs 10 oz and 7 lbs 6 oz respectively (yes my 594 turned out to be lighter). As an SG player you’ll probably find the on average lighter weight on the McCarty and DC 594 more comfortable than the single cut 594, which are normally a bit over 8 lbs, though sub 8 lbs are not unheard of.

My gateway drug to PRS was the McCarty. I had played other PRSi before and really liked them, but it wasn’t until the McCarty that I truly became a fan of PRS guitars. My R9 is still one of my untouchable guitars, but now so is my McCarty and 594, and for that matter my reclaimed redwood fender tele as well. Yes the PRS term system is stable and reliable, but I still prefer a fixed bridge.
Nice to hear the perspective of a Gibson fan. :)

I've been browsing the McCarty selection and am kinda digging the Korina models...anyone have experience with any PRS Korina models? I'm thinking it would give me more top end than my mahogany SG, but maybe not quite as much as your traditional maple/'hog combo?

I've been browsing the McCarty selection and am kinda digging the Korina models...anyone have experience with any PRS Korina models? I'm thinking it would give me more top end than my mahogany SG, but maybe not quite as much as your traditional maple/'hog combo?

I had a KL-33 (all Korina Santana) for a while. I would say you description above would be accurate. Raw, ripping guitar, for sure.

Back