Good PRS Core model to compliment Gibson SG

I'd recommend an SC245. Very easy to play, great tone, very vintage-y pickups, reasonable price on the used market.
Are the SC series a little thicker-bodied than the McCarty? My only expose to the PRS SC world is the SE Zach Meyers...it seemed thicker than the CE I used to have.

Are the SC series a little thicker-bodied than the McCarty? My only expose to the PRS SC world is the SE Zach Meyers...it seemed thicker than the CE I used to have.

Yes. Core thickness goes about like this: Custom & original CE -> McCarty -> McCarty 594 double cut -> Singlecut.

Check out the McCartys and DGTs. Similar body, necks, and pickups (subtle differences that you'll have to play to realize). Controls are a bit different but not much.

I have a vintage ‘65 SG Special.

It doesn’t matter which Core maple-topped PRS you get, it’s going to be different from what you have. This includes a 24 fret model (I have had several CU24s, and have one now). Don’t worry about it.

Since you’re buying used, you should be able to play the guitar you’re interested in and see for yourself whether it compliments what you already own. I’d say use your own judgement.

I have a vintage ‘65 SG Special.

It doesn’t matter which Core maple-topped PRS you get, it’s going to be different from what you have. This includes a 24 fret model (I have had several CU24s, and have one now). Don’t worry about it.

Since you’re buying used, you should be able to play the guitar you’re interested in and see for yourself whether it compliments what you already own. I’d say use your own judgement.
Judgement? Hah! Seriously tho, I'll be haunting the local guitar stores over the next few months... hopefully I can find at least one example of the different models everyone has been suggesting.

I had a late 60s SG junior when I was a teenager that was a mess, horrible paint job, all dinged up, etc. I practically gave it away because I cracked the headstock...it would have been an easy fix. What a great little guitar. I hope someone fixed it up and is enjoying it right now. :)

I should also mention I like the wide-fat neck profile of the ZM, so I'd be looking for something similar in the core model.
Then a USED CU22 might be right up your alley. I have two of them currently and have had others in the past. They are "my" guitar of choice. Both are Wide Fat. Both have the stop bar tail pieces. Though they do both have the dragon II's which I love but may be a bit modern for your tastes. An easy switch though. They don't get as much love as some other models from the general PRS fan base, but I absolutely love mine and wouldn't trade them for any other guitar.

52520505_10161426351615331_5416241883842084864_n.jpg

Last edited:
Then a USED CU22 might be right up your alley. I have two of them currently and have had others in the past. They are "my" guitar of choice. Both are Wide Fat. Both have the stop bar tail pieces. Though they do both have the dragon II's which I love but may be a bit modern for your tastes. An easy switch though. They don't get as much love as some other models from the general PRS fan base, but I absolutely love mine and wouldn't trade them for any other guitar.

52520505_10161426351615331_5416241883842084864_n.jpg
Two beauties! Will definitely add the CU22 to the list...

So many choices! I suppose that's a good thing.

A related question...have y'all had good luck buying off Reverb vs. Ebay? Is there a similar mechanism to rate sellers and seperate the sleazeballs from the trustworthy members?

A related question...have y'all had good luck buying off Reverb vs. Ebay? Is there a similar mechanism to rate sellers and seperate the sleazeballs from the trustworthy members?

Check the feedback for the seller. You can usually get a pretty god idea from that. I've only bought ONE new PRS. The rest have been used but in mint condition.......at extremely reasonable prices I might add. Reverb is my friend (and I suppose my monetary demise as well).

Check the feedback for the seller. You can usually get a pretty god idea from that. I've only bought ONE new PRS. The rest have been used but in mint condition.......at extremely reasonable prices I might add. Reverb is my friend (and I suppose my monetary demise as well).
Thanks for the thoughts...my experience is limited to eBay, but looks like there are deals to be found on Reverb. I'm also getting sketched out lately by posts on the 'bay, typically from Japan, where there are multiple listings for what looks like the same item, often with different prices.

Thanks for the thoughts...my experience is limited to eBay, but looks like there are deals to be found on Reverb. I'm also getting sketched out lately by posts on the 'bay, typically from Japan, where there are multiple listings for what looks like the same item, often with different prices.

Reverb is definitely better IMHO than ebay. I've bought and sold a lot on there over the last few years. Definitely the place for used online.

I have more experience with ebay both buying and selling never had an issue with either site.
to be honest I have done more deals on the forums ( Vintage Rocker and PRS Forums ) they don't have the traffic they used to since this site came online.

I have had equal luck on both sites. But I ask a lot of questions and I cut right to the chase with the sellers. I have bought several guitars new but nowadays, I focus mostly on the used market...

My recommendation is to check feedback and ask questions.

Back