Good PAF-Style HB Replacement

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
Looking to replace the twin buckers in a non-PRS guitar. I'd like a vintage, PAF-style sound.

It's got the ability to split coils and OOP as well (so I guess I would need a 4-wire???). The guitar is similar in scale and construction to an SE 245 or SE Santana for reference.

I was looking at some of the Bare Knuckles (I know Mike Garvey you have experience with those) online. I have been very picky lately with neck pickups and am really looking for a good "round" throaty sound. I don't play with alot of gain.

Any suggestions?

I'm smitten with 57/08's in my Ted.

Slightly off topic, I'm also smitten with soapbars in a McCarty korina I have. Would like to hear those PRS/Duncan soapbars in a HB

Just read your post, and my immediate reaction was the very same as James'; I love the 57/08s for that classic sound. I've had them in the CU22 Semi Hollow LTD, and the Stripped 58.

My son is a 335 and Tele player who does a lot of recording and touring work. When he was in town last, he played my Stripped 58; after a few minutes, he turned and said, "These are incredible pickups!" and asked where he could get a set. If you knew my son, you'd know he doesn't flip over a pickup very often. He's one of those "old guitar" guys.

Also gotta say James, my #1s were all PRSes with those very soapbars for about 7 years. But I really love the Mira, 57/08, and 53/10 pickups so much that they finally went to the top for me.

Last edited:
I put a Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck position of my Standard and it is incredible. I've never wanted to solo with a neck pickup the way I do with the Air Norton, it's ballsy but not boomy, sustains like nuts, and will crackle when attacked. It's also super smooth when you back off the volume control. It excels as a humbucker but also splits well.

Last edited:
Looking to replace the twin buckers in a non-PRS guitar. I'd like a vintage, PAF-style sound.

It's got the ability to split coils and OOP as well (so I guess I would need a 4-wire???). The guitar is similar in scale and construction to an SE 245 or SE Santana for reference.

I was looking at some of the Bare Knuckles (I know Mike Garvey you have experience with those) online. I have been very picky lately with neck pickups and am really looking for a good "round" throaty sound. I don't play with alot of gain.

Any suggestions?

I've got the Bare Knuckle Mule in the neck of my Bernie... I did have a Mule in the bridge too but I needed something with a little more output to cover more ground. I've got a Suhr Doug Aldrich in there which i'm liking at the moment. Hot, but still has a classic vibe to it. I did like the Mule in the bridge though and it may yet go back in there depending on how things go.

Good allround PAF style pup and sounds very sweet in the neck position. If you want an even more vintage sounding pup from BK then check out the Stormy Mondays. Not heard a bad clip of them yet!

I've not had too much experience with US PRS pups, though I did play an SC245 which I thought sounded great.

I had the 59/09's on my list after listening to a few clips but I have to say the 57/08's sound great too. If I could get a US PRS then it'd be the SC58 which has the 57/08's in it..Infact, Shawn mentioned that Paul requested a set be installed in Bernie's guitar at the EXP 2012. If they are the ones I hear in this clip then it really leaves me gassing for an SC58!

Not sure they're available seperately though...

Very sweet vintage tone!

I reckon with either the BK Mules or Stormys or something like the 57/08's and the OOP you're going to get some nice Peter Green type tones... if you're into that sort of thing! :)

For coil splitting you do need 4 conducter. Personally I don't like splitting low output pups but each to their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back