Good affordable wireless for guitars

I always liked Sennheiser wireless. Reliable and no coloring of the tone. I don't know what you can get in the US of A at the moment, but probably worth a try

My guess is that an old analog system is going to be dirt cheap, but might actually be worth investigating. Obviously, it would have to sound good to you with your gear to be at all useful. But you just never know with this stuff.
An old analog system might be technically illegal to use - the FCC has auctioned off a large chunk of what used to be analog frequencies for re-purposing to digital, and even a little wireless system could cause issues, I suppose.

Anyway, I have two Line 6 G30 systems, two X-Vive U2 systems (well, one is for my wife and her bass), and one Donner DWS-3.

The G30s are the most consistent, and work with everything. Last about 4 hrs of constant playing.

The X-Vives don't like some active pickup systems, including some piezo pickup systems - they introduce a digital "whine" (probably a frequency-clock circuit that normally gets filtered from the transmission). Last a long time - probably around 6 hrs of constant playing.

The DWS-3 works with everything, but seems to cut out occasionally - I think the transmission/reception antennas are a little picky about being in the EM shadow of metal like pedals. Not sure how long they last, but it seems to be at least 5 or 6 hours.

The G30 and X-Vives are digital. The DWS-3 claims to be digital, not sure I fully believe it - it has analog-type noise to it.

Oh, and despite being digital, all of them can pick up interference from mobile phones in a nearby pocket (I have transmitter on belt at right hip, phone in right front pants pocket) - sounds like a Morse-code-like "chatter" with some whine, depending on what your phone is transmitting and via which technology. So I put my phone elsewhere quite often when playing.

Obviously I really like having wireless systems, they offer a tremendous freedom of movement, and I don't feel they degrade the audio in any perceptible fashion (as long as no mobile phone interference).

The Boss WL-50 works nicely for me. For me, cables are a backup.

13369276_800.jpg

Was initially concerned about dropouts, sound quality, and battery life. Rarely any dropouts until I stray more than 20-25 feet, and it sounds as good as any cable with much less noise. It is essentially a buffer at the beginning of your single chain which works fine for me. Battery life is more than you need and nothing you have to pay much attention. It's around 10-12 hours with green/yellow/red led indicator that you know you play for hours unless red. Probably would have lost the transmitter by now without the the spot on my pedalboard to dock/recharge though.

The 1/4 jack input on the dock is a nice feature if you want to plug-in with a cable and not reroute your pedalboard. Pretty convenient to jut plug in (I thought it was silly until I needed it, and now I'm sold). Only nit is if you push the transmitter all the way into the dock and the dock is not powered, the transmitter drains its battery until it goes to standby. I now just push it partway until the second "detent" which still holds it well even when in transit.

Been using the G10 for several years now. Having struck out twice with wireless before, I was quite surprised that it would, a.) sound so good, and, b.) be so reliable. The range is limiting but for the purpose, originally, of being able to walk out into the bar and do sound checks, it nailed it!

Yes, like Dave mentioned, I had to extend the barrel of the jack on one of my guitars so it could make better contact with the transmitter, but that was no big deal. Highly recommended. And yes, I use it at home almost 100%.

I also use two Line 6 G30 systems for my two Piezo PRS'. My answer to the hassle of two transmitters is to swap the strap with transmitters attached (still a PITA). Sometimes I keep the transmitter for the mag pickups clipped to my belt rather than the strap so I can easily switch to a non-piezo guitar. The G30s are great though.

I use cables now, but for a long time I used an Audio-Technica analog wireless system in the studio. It made going back and forth from workstation to recording booth to adjust mics easier.

The reason I liked it (even after digital systems came out) was that it did the opposite of what seemed desirable at the time - it screwed with the signal a little. The compander circuit and variable output that had to be used in these things resulted in a bit of compression, EQ and boost that sounded good in front of my amps.

My guess is that an old analog system is going to be dirt cheap, but might actually be worth investigating. Obviously, it would have to sound good to you with your gear to be at all useful. But you just never know with this stuff.

I was using the Line 6 G10. A couple of months ago I switched to the X-Vive U2. No problems with it, yet.

I always liked Sennheiser wireless. Reliable and no coloring of the tone. I don't know what you can get in the US of A at the moment, but probably worth a try

An old analog system might be technically illegal to use - the FCC has auctioned off a large chunk of what used to be analog frequencies for re-purposing to digital, and even a little wireless system could cause issues, I suppose.

Anyway, I have two Line 6 G30 systems, two X-Vive U2 systems (well, one is for my wife and her bass), and one Donner DWS-3.

The G30s are the most consistent, and work with everything. Last about 4 hrs of constant playing.

The X-Vives don't like some active pickup systems, including some piezo pickup systems - they introduce a digital "whine" (probably a frequency-clock circuit that normally gets filtered from the transmission). Last a long time - probably around 6 hrs of constant playing.

The DWS-3 works with everything, but seems to cut out occasionally - I think the transmission/reception antennas are a little picky about being in the EM shadow of metal like pedals. Not sure how long they last, but it seems to be at least 5 or 6 hours.

The G30 and X-Vives are digital. The DWS-3 claims to be digital, not sure I fully believe it - it has analog-type noise to it.

Oh, and despite being digital, all of them can pick up interference from mobile phones in a nearby pocket (I have transmitter on belt at right hip, phone in right front pants pocket) - sounds like a Morse-code-like "chatter" with some whine, depending on what your phone is transmitting and via which technology. So I put my phone elsewhere quite often when playing.

Obviously I really like having wireless systems, they offer a tremendous freedom of movement, and I don't feel they degrade the audio in any perceptible fashion (as long as no mobile phone interference).

Thanks for all of your replies !! Lots of useful info.

Oh my! I didn't realize that stuff applied to guitar wireles.

I’m using the Shure GLXD4 wireless. It’s in the middle price area, but I’m sure it is close to paying for itself In battery savings by now. I used to go through two a week, but with the Shure’s removable, rechargeable battery, I haven’t bought wireless batteries in a few years now. Good range and tone, but it’s the battery thing I’ve really liked.

I liked my WL-50, but the transmitter is flaking and now doesn’t recognize how to charge in the base station. Boss service is basically shut down for Covid...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I literally just got the Boss WL-20 system last week.

So far, very happy with it. Only used it at home so far.

I’m seriously considering these because of the 5.8Ghz thing.

I looked at the 5.8Ghz units a while back. The idea resonated with me, but not sure what if any benefit this has.

It struck me odd that no mid/high end manufacturer was using that band. It's been another year or so and not much has changed in the market. Not sure if this is it, but generally the higher the frequency, the shorter distance (at the same power level).

The only time I've had problem with wifi interference on 2.4Ghz with the WL-50 was when I had a router right next to the receiver. I actually have a wifi usb proxy on other side of my pedalboard and it's not a problem unless I moved it within a foot or so. I tend to stay within 10 feet of my pedalboard. Your mileage may vary.

I’m using the Shure GLXD4 wireless. It’s in the middle price area, but I’m sure it is close to paying for itself In battery savings by now. I used to go through two a week, but with the Shure’s removable, rechargeable battery, I haven’t bought wireless batteries in a few years now. Good range and tone, but it’s the battery thing I’ve really liked.

I replaced my relay G30 with the same thing myself over a year ago. I have two transmitters for mine for gigs. Love the rechargeable batteries that last for freaking ever!!!

I’m seriously considering these because of the 5.8Ghz thing. Hopefully good for jamming especially at home around WiFi stuff this should work. There’s also this with supposedly 8hrs battery life. Boss is more than doubled price.

https://www.amazon.com/Getaria-Wire...081PS45V2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Very affordable

Their range isn’t the same as my old true diversity system, but for the money their great for rehearsals as I’m always tripping over things as it is!

I’m seriously considering these because of the 5.8Ghz thing. Hopefully good for jamming especially at home around WiFi stuff this should work. There’s also this with supposedly 8hrs battery life. Boss is more than doubled price.

https://www.amazon.com/Getaria-Wire...081PS45V2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Very affordable
There seems to be a whack of low-price wireless units out there now, many with very similar form factors - so I suspect the underlying design is the same, just tweaked to look like a different product. Such as the Donner wireless system I have - it looks similar to the above product, same price range. Donner doesn't say what freq range they use.

It would be nice if someone had a freq scanner to see exactly what these units are doing. I have my doubts they have been evaluated by the FCC.

Back