Goldie MKII

Carl, did you notice any tonal change when you swapped to the Phase II keys? I'm assuming you kept the same set of strings.

BTW, you helped inspire me to put a set of the new knobs on my HBII. I had a pair sitting around from an abandoned project and (foolishly, I now see) I was hesitant to mix the new style with my old guitar. Made the change last night and it of course looks fantastic and feels great.

Carl, did you notice any tonal change when you swapped to the Phase II keys? I'm assuming you kept the same set of strings.

BTW, you helped inspire me to put a set of the new knobs on my HBII. I had a pair sitting around from an abandoned project and (foolishly, I now see) I was hesitant to mix the new style with my old guitar. Made the change last night and it of course looks fantastic and feels great.

Hi Garrett - honestly, I don't notice a difference, but it was such a huge tonal change with the new pickups and bridge that I am still in the "holy poop" mode everytime I plug her in.

I was indeed able to save the strings, as I had a nice "Christmas Tree" when I restrung her, and there was enough string end left (and the bend points just high enough) that I salvaged them. Which, at $10+ a pop for NYXLs, is important to me.

The tuner swap was mainly cosmetically / functionally driven. I love the look of DGT goldtops, so I wanted the faux-bone buttons. Couldn't find them for the Phase 1s - only pearly ones. Luckily, this being a 2000 model, these were the "newer" Phase 1s with the smaller backs, so the Phase IIs were a direct drop-in. And I coulds gets me buttons!

Hi Garrett - honestly, I don't notice a difference, but it was such a huge tonal change with the new pickups and bridge that I am still in the "holy poop" mode everytime I plug her in.

I was indeed able to save the strings, as I had a nice "Christmas Tree" when I restrung her, and there was enough string end left (and the bend points just high enough) that I salvaged them. Which, at $10+ a pop for NYXLs, is important to me.

The tuner swap was mainly cosmetically / functionally driven. I love the look of DGT goldtops, so I wanted the faux-bone buttons. Couldn't find them for the Phase 1s - only pearly ones. Luckily, this being a 2000 model, these were the "newer" Phase 1s with the smaller backs, so the Phase IIs were a direct drop-in. And I coulds gets me buttons!

Thanks. I've often wondered if I'd gain anything by swapping the non-locking keys for Phase II on my HBII (I missed the Phase II era by a couple months). The stock keys are pretty light and easy enough to string with a lock wrap. I was wondering on the strings because any before/after tone comparisons go out the door with a fresh set of strings.

Sounds like my "renovation" money would be better spent putting a Mann bridge in place of the PRS adjustable. Did you replace the wells, too? Not sure there's much advantage there on a PRS.

Sounds like my "renovation" money would be better spent putting a Mann bridge in place of the PRS adjustable. Did you replace the wells, too? Not sure there's much advantage there on a PRS.

I left the original wells in, but the studs are new.

RE: the new Phase II tuners, I do kinda like that the posts are unplated, because I am a rules-of-tone-whore. And the tuners work more smoothly than the Phase 1s that were on there. But the sonic improvement is probably minute.

On the other hand, I would say that the MannMade 2300 will be well worth it, I noticed a marked increase in sustain. Plus it looks badass!

DURING:

head1_zpsitjmpnaf.jpg

head2_zpsnv9llm35.jpg

AFTER:

head3_zpsw1sc6wwf.jpg

This makes more sense to me if I scroll up from the bottom to the top. ;)

This makes more sense to me if I scroll up from the bottom to the top. ;)

Seriously, as I was doing this, I kept thinking, I'm gonna hear it from Serg...;)

I actually really love Phase 1s, and I still think they are the quickest string-change in the universe. Slipping cams, and the tuning ratios make adjustments hard on some of my older models. These worked perfectly fine, but with the shiny new pickups, new covers, etc. down bottom, all of the black up top just didn't jive. Fashion-wise. Had I been able to find DGT-esque buttons for the Phase 1s, we may have had a different outcome.

Another thing I was able to do was then swap these ebony buttons onto my EGII. That had pearl buttons, which looked a bit out of place with the wings, black headstock, etc. Now with the ebony buttons, she looks appropriately badass.

I shall ne'er part with the spare Phase 1s. I even have a full extra set of the older big-backed ones I scored on Reverb last year...just waiting... :)

Back