Gold, ebony, or snakewood? Tuner buttons!

I think after looking at it again this morning, that the ebony will stay on for a bit.
We shall see what sticks over time!

Ebony has a super-nice feel, and it’s a very strong material. It’s great for hardware that gets manipulated a lot, like tuner buttons.

Order of preference for me is:

Gold - looks good and matches the hardware
Ebony - goes well with tuner buttons and TRC
Snakewood - pretty but looks out of place on this guitar.

I think it would look better with black pup rings regardless. I'd go with ebony if using the ebony tuner buttons, otherwise black plastic.

I went thru kind of the same thing with my 594 but didn't find any custom buttons that were a big enough improvement over the stock chrome to make it worth the trouble. My toilet has chrome hardware, I could put a fancy wood flush lever on there. Yeah it might look nicer than the chrome side by side but doesn't really improve the toilet as a whole enough to make it worth the effort.

At first I wanted to do something to personalize it and make it unique but then I realized it already is. I've never seen another one like it and doubt I ever will since it's a one off Wood Library run from Eddie's. What really makes it special is the overall design, attention to detail and high quality craftsmanship. What really makes it mine isn't some little customization or even the sales receipt... it's me playing it :)

594-6.jpg

Order of preference for me is:

Gold - looks good and matches the hardware
Ebony - goes well with tuner buttons and TRC
Snakewood - pretty but looks out of place on this guitar.

I think it would look better with black pup rings regardless. I'd go with ebony if using the ebony tuner buttons, otherwise black plastic.

I went thru kind of the same thing with my 594 but didn't find any custom buttons that were a big enough improvement over the stock chrome to make it worth the trouble. My toilet has chrome hardware, I could put a fancy wood flush lever on there. Yeah it might look nicer than the chrome side by side but doesn't really improve the toilet as a whole enough to make it worth the effort.

At first I wanted to do something to personalize it and make it unique but then I realized it already is. I've never seen another one like it and doubt I ever will since it's a one off Wood Library run from Eddie's. What really makes it special is the overall design, attention to detail and high quality craftsmanship. What really makes it mine isn't some little customization or even the sales receipt... it's my hands playing it :)

594-6.jpg
Gorgeous guitar sir! And well said!
Except maybe I wouldn't compare my P22 to a toilet, but that's just me!:D:p

Can’t afford a GOLD toilet seat so I went with plastic ivory :rolleyes:

I used a gold toilet seat at a party once. I was so impressed I went back the next day to complement the host. His wife answered the door, and when I told her why I was there, she turned and yelled, "Hey Barry! The jagoff who crapped in your tuba is back!"

Like there was a chance I was passing that joke up!

I used a gold toilet seat at a party once. I was so impressed I went back the next day to complement the host. His wife answered the door, and when I told her why I was there, she turned and yelled, "Hey Barry! The jagoff who crapped in your tuba is back!"
Like there was a chance I was passing that joke up!

Genuine gut laughed at this one! The wife whacked the dog trying to smack me for waking her from her beauty sleep...she's so mean...the dog agrees....:p

Snake wood, for both the look and the slightly lighter weight, which I think influences the sound.

It also makes it more aerodynamic in a fight...o_O
If I had the same options as you have here on hand...
I'm gonna go with ebony...FTW. Keep them all change them with your mood...

Last edited:
I put ebony tuners on my Hollowbody Spruce. I like ebony on your guitar the best, although that snakewood really matches it nicely, too!

Back