Gold and diamond truss cover

Goldfixer

Is it football season yet?
Shawn started a discussion that prompted me to think making a gold and diamond truss cover might be fun. I started on this wax model yesterday, and I may make a few more of different designs. Anyone have some ideas that I could try?
This one would hold 125+ diamonds, and I am going to sculpt the eagle to make it 3D.
prstrusswax.jpg

Nice!

Do you create the wax models freehand or do you have a CNC-style machine to create them?
This was done on a Roland MDX -15, the eagle will be carved by hand. Whether I do a model by machine or by hand depends on a number of factors. Sculpting can be done on the machine, but my software isn't really designed to create multiple angles and curves. Objects like the truss cover here are ideal projects with it. I do have a Rhino based design program I'm just starting to work with, it would have more capabilities than the current software I'm using

great job!
since i am a gem trader there is no need to take CZs.
natural zircon would do the job as well and it is not too expensive
as i estimate to use 2mm diameter stones.
even in diamonds it would be aprox. $600 - just for the gems, excluding work and additional materials.
biggest part is always the work in goldsmithing, at least here in germany.
and don't forget there are so many attractive gemstones out there so i don't see
a need to take diamonds most people can't differ from glass.

for example we made this ring for my friend peter diezel (amps).
this is raw palladium white gold 750/000 brushed with a tanzanite triangle.

Tansanit-Ring-Mail800.jpg

Last edited:
great job!
since i am a gem trader there is no need to take CZs.
natural zircon would do the job as well and it is not too expensive
as i estimate to use 2mm diameter stones.
even in diamonds it would be aprox. $600 - just for the gems, excluding work and additional materials.
biggest part is always the work in goldsmithing, at least here in germany.
and don't forget there are so many attractive gemstones out there so i don't see
a need to take diamonds most people can't differ from glass.

for example we made this ring for my friend peter diezel (amps).
this is raw palladium white gold 750/000 brushed with a tanzanite triangle.

Tansanit-Ring-Mail800.jpg
Love the ring, I have been using 950 palladium quite often lately. It's much more affordable than platinum, and being near pure white it doesn't need rhodium plating.
This is a pendant I made for a cancer benefit auction recently using the organization's logo.
sketch.jpg

finished.jpg

wow, this is really nice!
most stuff we do in white gold we don't rhodinate to see the main material.
here another ring in 750 gold with a south african mandarin spessartite.

mandarin.jpg

hey goldfixer, don't worry, i don't want to hijack your business!
cheers,
klaus

Back