Going to give the Archon 100 watt head another chance

Wally1

I had 2 Archon 100 watt heads in 2014 that both had the effects loop issue. I currently have a MT 15 and love it. I remember loving the tone of the Archon. If I can get that huge Archon tone and a useable effects loop I will be happy! I've been loving the MT 15. The Archon arrives Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I had 2 Archon 100 watt heads in 2014 that both had the effects loop issue. I currently have a MT 15 and love it. I remember loving the tone of the Archon. If I can get that huge Archon tone and a useable effects loop I will be happy! I've been loving the MT 15. The Archon arrives Tuesday. Wish me luck!

The DEPTH knob is your friend! Crank it up!

Hey Wally, I’ll give you my standard, “Effects loops are the spawn of the devil,” speech:

Effects loops are the spawn of the devil!

There ya go.

“So you’re saying that you don’t like effects loops?”

“I’m saying they’re the spawn of the devil.”

“Do you even believe in supernatural beings such as devils?”

“No. Only when it comes to effects loops.”

Hopefully third times a charm! I feel like my Archon and MT15 are about the same in terms of the loop. Weirdly, I've been using the MT15 with the band. Archon volume taper is better so it's easier to use at home.

Hope you're doing well bud!

I’ve heard about the loop noise on the 2014 Archons (I’ve also heard it’s pretty simple to fix if you happen to end up with one of those).

How about the post-2014 up through current Archons? I realize that PRS fixed the noise problem from the earliest ones, but are there other issues with the Archon loop? I’ve got an itchy trigger finger for an Archon 100 but I HAVE to have a good loop.

Last edited:
I have one from early 2015 and I'm happy with the loop. I've gigged it a lot and haven't had issues.

Good to know. I’ve been using a good old ‘94 Mesa Dual Rec rev. G and it’s great for the heavy stuff. Sounds like the King’s X ‘Dogman’ album! The clean is blah though. The Archon that I played had a killer clean channel in addition to the \m/ lead channel. :cool:

Back