Going to CE town

aphantomvaper

Bend it to the Owl!
I've watched the vidoes, perused the websites, and decided a CE 24 is in my future. Currently eyeing the Amber or Faded grey.

Oh, but now I know there is a hollow body version. Crikey, which body type do I pick?

I'm only asking for your personal options here, I've seen the net, now I need to hear from the nest (which sounds better than "best" which I was trying to type but spell check took over!) :)

I was in a similar boat about 6 months ago. Bought a solid CE24, it was great all around but had a dead note/feet I couldnt work around (online purchase). Was able to dump it but still had to have a CE24. I decided to try the semi hollow. It is Great!

Dont know about you, but I end up often playing unplugged just picking a guitar off the wall and playing briefly here and there. The semi hollow sounds great acoustically. And I swear there's this "semi" way effect from my forearm passing back and forth across the f hole. I think it sounds so cool.

I had owned "regular" CEs over the years. I never particulary cared for them, enough so that when they were in rereleased I ignored them. Then I tried the semi-hollow. THAT is the sound I was hoping to hear before....the steel bridge, the 85/15 pickups, the little bit of extra resonance from the SH body....

I guess my point is, yeah try them to see which works best for you, but make SURE you try the semi-hollow before you decide. It is perfection.

I really wish the CE’s didn’t come with the cheaper alloy blocks. I’ve always enjoyed my guitars with cold rolled steel or brass vs the cheap alloys. Seems like a cop out to use such a cheap part on a $2k guitar. It’s a stupid easy fix too. Can order it directly from John Mann.

I really wish the CE’s didn’t come with the cheaper alloy blocks. I’ve always enjoyed my guitars with cold rolled steel or brass vs the cheap alloys. Seems like a cop out to use such a cheap part on a $2k guitar. It’s a stupid easy fix too. Can order it directly from John Mann.

I personally prefer the older CE's - better parts and body carve. anyone trying to take my 06 CE-24 mahogany will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
50461655337_ddf520ed06_o.jpg

Last edited:
Geez thanks for making it easier to decide guys, hee hee.

I may have to try semi hollow first, it is mail order (not GC or MF!!) and I'm not the try and return type.

Gimme a couple weeks and you'll know the result ;). Thanks the input fellows!
Nice!

I really like my CE24, but I replaced the SE trem with a MannMade 2040 trem. As I mentioned earlier, I would have paid $200.00 more for the guitar with the MannMade bridge. The shallower carve, laminated heel, and scarf-joined neck were no big deal. The SE trem left a lot to be desired, especially after it is off of the guitar and one can see the bottom of the bridge plate. With the MannMade bridge, the guitar plays more like a pre-2016 model.

Last edited:
I still don’t get it. If they wanted the steel bridge sound associated with bolt on design…then do it. Don’t use a cheap alloy. Funny how they made one for the Mayer model. It’s something so simple. They could take a gen2 bridge and swap for a steel block. But they took the easy way out, which is inexcusable in a $2k+ guitar. Anything made in the US should have the higher bridge models. Save the cheap alloys for imports.

If they use the USA bridge, the price goes up. Keep in mind that they have thought long and hard about where to save money on the S2’s and the CE’s. You cannot compromise on the wood or the fretwork of a Maryland made PRS. That would compromise the legacy and reputation. While I am lucky enough to have several US PRSi, many people are not. Everyone should be able to buy a PRS, because they smoke everything else in their price range. If money is tight, and you can scrape together for a PRS in your price range, they have done their job. You can afford to buy a new bridge, some cannot. We all need to be able to share the experience of a fine guitar.
I’m not a cork sniffer, I’m an old player. I have a couple of SE’s with the overseas bridge. I like the way the guitars they are on sound. I’m not going to flip the bridge over and complain because the underside isn’t perfect. My ears tell me what sounds good and what doesn’t. My wallet doesn’t.

Back