Going from 10s to 9s on custom 24..what to do

Harry Brookes

Guitar is on order, whenmit arrives I would like to go to 9 guage strings, but I have no experience with a PRS trem bridge. I will surely not take it to the boys at guit ctr..any info available?
I will practice on my old prs..lol
Harry

10's down to 9's will be a breeze, you shouldnt have to change saddle positions or intonation, but sometimes it happens. You may have to adjust trem spring tension a bit to keep the bridge level with the body

Once you get the new strings on, tune to pitch, then stretch each string, then retune to pitch again.
Repeat 3 times.

With the strings tuned to pitch, check the bridge to see if it is level to the body. If the back end is too high, loosen string tension slightly and turn the trem claw screws into the body 1/2 turn. Retune to pitch and check for level again. Repeat until bridge is level and guitar is in tune.

If the back end is too low or close to the body do steps as above but turn the claw screws out 1/2 turn at a time.

Check intonation once in tune.

Have fun.

10's down to 9's will be a breeze, you shouldnt have to change saddle positions or intonation, but sometimes it happens. You may have to adjust trem spring tension a bit to keep the bridge level with the body

Once you get the new strings on, tune to pitch, then stretch each string, then retune to pitch again.
Repeat 3 times.

With the strings tuned to pitch, check the bridge to see if it is level to the body. If the back end is too high, loosen string tension slightly and turn the trem claw screws into the body 1/2 turn. Retune to pitch and check for level again. Repeat until bridge is level and guitar is in tune.

If the back end is too low or close to the body do steps as above but turn the claw screws out 1/2 turn at a time.

Have fun.
Thank you Much!! Will it affect the action any or is difference in string size to small? I heard to not lower bridge screws but lower saddle screws instead. Im asking for my 92 ce24 now, as it has about 5/16 height and looks a little high but parallel to body.
H

Thank you Much!! Will it affect the action any or is difference in string size to small? I heard to not lower bridge screws but lower saddle screws instead. Im asking for my 92 ce24 now, as it has about 5/16 height and looks a little high but parallel to body.
H
You should not have any change in action, when changing string gauges.

H
Don’t mess with the bridge screws. Like ever. (Mostly)

Just follow @Wakester ‘s advice about trek claw and maybe saddle distance. I think saddle height should be maybe the 3rd thing you tweak.

Congrats on your number 2!!!
I'd agree to try it with staying with the stock 10's first...you may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it plays with them on there.
I, along with others here, were surprised at the ease of playing the DGT Model with their stock 11's...

If you do make string gauge changes, Stock PRS bridges should pretty much sit/rest parallel to the top when set up correctly.
Another way to check, is if you pluck the low E and push the back of the bridge down to the body, the ringing note should be close to an F#.
Now, this by all means is NOT exact...just close to an F#.
I'd stay away from adjusting the individual saddles, unless absolutely necessary. (And you really shouldn't need to ever touch the 6 bridge screws)

Repeat 3 times.

Have fun.
Always worked for me!

My impression was that all PRS guitar were supposed to be set up prior to sale, am I wrong?
I just bought a Se24 online from PRS dealer and intonation is terrible.
It is almost impossible, impossible now due to `covid, for me to find a luthier where I live. Is there any brand guitar that comes setup?

Guitar is on order, whenmit arrives I would like to go to 9 guage strings, but I have no experience with a PRS trem bridge. I will surely not take it to the boys at guit ctr..any info available?
I will practice on my old prs..lol
Harry

Two quick points: Your 10’s won’t feel stiff with the trem floating. Try ead from the 10s and the gbe from the 9s. Great combo.

Back