Going back and forth between two Mesa amps...

I'm a Mark V guy, but recto's are great too - Is there anywhere you can actually plug into both? I think the general consensus I've seen around here is Mark V is possibly a bit more versatile but harder to dial in, while rectos sound like rectos right out of the box.

I'm a Mark V guy, but recto's are great too - Is there anywhere you can actually plug into both? I think the general consensus I've seen around here is Mark V is possibly a bit more versatile but harder to dial in, while rectos sound like rectos right out of the box.
Unfortunately no, I'm trying to get over Covid-19. Going on 6 weeks of a mild case. So no going out to stores.

Unfortunately no, I'm trying to get over Covid-19. Going on 6 weeks of a mild case. So no going out to stores.

Hope you feel better soon. Btw, I meant Triple “Crown” (not crow). o_O

I have the 2x12 recto cab. I haven’t played the combo but I imagine it would be great too.

Hope you feel better soon. Btw, I meant Triple “Crown” (not crow). o_O

I have the 2x12 recto cab. I haven’t played the combo but I imagine it would be great too.

Thank you, it's one day feeling like I'm over it, next day feeling like crap again.

I’m a Mark guy too, so I’m probably biased.

that said, the clean sounds in the Mark V:35 are heads and shoulders above the clean sounds from my Mark IIC+ and my prior Mark III

After listening to YouTube videos and reading people's opinions on here and others I've asked, I'm gonna go with the MarkV eventually.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

After listening to YouTube videos and reading people's opinions on here and others I've asked, I'm gonna go with the MarkV eventually.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.
Good choice! I have the Mark V:25 and I love it - puts a smile on my face whenever I plug in.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...r-25-25-watt-tube-head-blue-diamond-faceplate

and

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...10-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-black-taurus

I've watched a few youtube videos on both and am leaning towards the mini rectifier.
Does anyone have an experience with these amps? Would love to know every ones opinions on both.

The Rectifiers and the Mark series are two different tone families (for lack of a better way to put it) so if you only had to pick one, I would try to decide which sort of music you are more likely to play more of based on the artists you like who are known for using one or the other of these amps. I couldn't decide so I have one of each.

The Rectifiers and the Mark series are two different tone families (for lack of a better way to put it) so if you only had to pick one, I would try to decide which sort of music you are more likely to play more of based on the artists you like who are known for using one or the other of these amps. I couldn't decide so I have one of each.

If I was to base it off an artist I like, and their sound, it would be Tim Mahoney from the band 311. Back in the day when I was big into them (late 90's-mid 2000's) he was using Rectifiers. I always loved the clean tones and crunch he got out of his amps.
I don't necessarily wanna clone him, just looking for something I can dial in to get around what the older 311 albums sounded like and typical 90's type sounds.

I’ve had the mark v:25 and still have the mini recto. Love the MR.

If I were to go the route of the mark again, it would be for a mark v:35. Much punchier, better amp IMO. Sort of like the difference between the JP2C and the mark V (owned those as well).

Last edited:
If I was to base it off an artist I like, and their sound, it would be Tim Mahoney from the band 311. Back in the day when I was big into them (late 90's-mid 2000's) he was using Rectifiers. I always loved the clean tones and crunch he got out of his amps.
I don't necessarily wanna clone him, just looking for something I can dial in to get around what the older 311 albums sounded like and typical 90's type sounds.

Well, it seems to me like you should get a Rectifier. Keep in mind that the way YOU dial in the amp and the guitar that YOU plug into it and the pickups that YOU have in the guitar will also affect your tone, so I don't think you need to be concerned about becoming a clone.

Back