Go west, young man...

DHW

My wife has finally decided it's time we live near her family for a change as well as escaping the midwest winters... I am feeling a little lost. I am a midwest/heartland guy, born and raised... She wants to move to Phoenix! This will probably happen late spring/early summer as we will need to sell our house in Minnesota and that won't happen until the snow is gone. With the drastic change in humidity will there be anything that I will need to do? Is there any decent shops around phoenix or tucson or will I need to be driving to CA? Looks like it will be around 5 hours to Wild West so that's kinda cool I guess...

I'm not sure how I feel about all this but it will be an adventure...

Moving across the country is exciting. I've done it. You always have the option to move back if you don't like it. So, enjoy the ride. Rainbow Guitars is out in Arizona someplace. Good place to do business with.

Phoenix is a great town! You'll enjoy it.

The summers are very hot, but as everyone says, it's not humid, so it's less oppressive. I have a niece there who moved from Michigan and loves it, and my brother and his wife (also from Michigan) bought a vacation condo to be near her - they love it, too.

Your electric guitars may need a little adjustment after they become acclimated, and your acoustics will undoubtedly need humidification (the Planet Waves humidipak system is very easy to use, space-age stuff, and recommended by both Taylor and PRS; it works beautifully and I highly recommend it).

Thanks guys... It's a scary move but there is family and friends there, more so that where we are right now even so in some ways it's not so bad. I am ok with the idea of no winter for sure!

I flew in to Phoenix from San Fran in August a few years ago. My hire (rental) car was all black outside and all black inside - it was soooooo hot!! I used to go out of the factory (Hewlett Packard) fifteen minutes before finishing time to get the air on the go otherwise there would be no way whatever to sit in the thing.

I flew in to Phoenix from San Fran in August a few years ago. My hire (rental) car was all black outside and all black inside - it was soooooo hot!! I used to go out of the factory (Hewlett Packard) fifteen minutes before finishing time to get the air on the go otherwise there would be no way whatever to sit in the thing.

Already have the remote starts covered lol... I am a telecommuter as well so no worries about it sitting in an open lot all day.

I've always wanted to be a telecommuter but my boss doesn't trust me :laugh:

Would you happen to be self employed?

I didn't have much problem. Been here 8 years and there are 9 others on the team and I close more work and have less rework than those 9 combined. I log in around 9:30, log off around 4, and usually take an hour and a half nap over the lunch hours. It's awesome!

I went from Kentucky to Texas almost ten years ago. Not Minnesota cold, but was happy to leave snow (for the most part) and cold (at least in shorter duration) for the most part. Just wish we'd gone to Austin instead of Dallas - but either way I like being in Texas.

I didn't have much problem. Been here 8 years and there are 9 others on the team and I close more work and have less rework than those 9 combined. I log in around 9:30, log off around 4, and usually take an hour and a half nap over the lunch hours. It's awesome!

Been doing the telecommuting thing part-time for over 10 years now (had to go a bit crazy - seriously - to get it, but...). I get more done on my days at home than on my days in the office. I've been bounced to a couple different areas (supporting the same group, just different structures to report to), and each time, it's been met with, "Well, I guess we can see how it works..." I've explained that I still have a doctor's note, but after a few months, it becomes a moot point because I deliver. I start earlier, quit later (take longer lunches :D), but I avoid traffic and more headaches.

And I crank up the stereo after lunch! LOUD!!!!

I've been living in Phoenix for 17 years. Hit me up with questions!

Decent shops? I would say not really. There are no good PRS dealers, which is ridiculous for a city/metro area of this size. There are a couple small places that are decent but mostly Big G's and Big F's and their sub-brands on the wall. Rainbow Guitars in Tucson is a great guitar shop.

When I moved here I was 21 and not as knowledgeable about guitars in general. I don't recall my one and only guitar at the time doing anything too wacky.

I've been living in Phoenix for 17 years. Hit me up with questions!

Decent shops? I would say not really. There are no good PRS dealers, which is ridiculous for a city/metro area of this size. There are a couple small places that are decent but mostly Big G's and Big F's and their sub-brands on the wall. Rainbow Guitars in Tucson is a great guitar shop.

When I moved here I was 21 and not as knowledgeable about guitars in general. I don't recall my one and only guitar at the time doing anything too wacky.

Awesome! Do you know of any stellar teachers for my daugher(and me)? I think we will likely land somewhere near goodyear as that is where the family lives. She just started the Troy Stetina metal lead guitar book 2 with the current teacher. She is getting past the phase of concentrating on learning other people's work and wants to move more in a creative direction.

Is that general area a good place to be looking? I was kinda thinking more over towards Mesa or Queen creek to get in a more irrigated area... She wants a sante fe with a pool, that's her only real requirements lol.

Thanks guys... It's a scary move but there is family and friends there, more so that where we are right now even so in some ways it's not so bad. I am ok with the idea of no winter for sure!

It can be scary, but it also exhilarating and a fantastic life experience. When I moved to Los Angeles from the Baltimore/DC area where I grew up I knew only one person - the woman that would become my wife - and had no job. And it was the greatest thing I have done in my life! That was 18 years ago, and I could not imagine moving back to the East Coast (or anywhere else for that matter).

i moved to Phoenix from New York once. was not a fan, except that there was no snow in the winter. moved back after a couple of years.

No, I was but the job I've got now is so cushy and I've only got 196 working days left until I retire - woohoo!!

I could very easily have done my job from home in the past. I mentioned it to our management but I think most of them, even the youngsters, are living somewhere just before the dark ages. Anyway, I don't care now:D

No, I was but the job I've got now is so cushy and I've only got 196 working days left until I retire - woohoo!!

I could very easily have done my job from home in the past. I mentioned it to our management but I think most of them, even the youngsters, are living somewhere just before the dark ages. Anyway, I don't care now:D

Ahhh... retirement... I'll be working until noon on the day of my funeral I fear...

Awesome! Do you know of any stellar teachers for my daugher(and me)? I think we will likely land somewhere near goodyear as that is where the family lives. She just started the Troy Stetina metal lead guitar book 2 with the current teacher. She is getting past the phase of concentrating on learning other people's work and wants to move more in a creative direction.

Is that general area a good place to be looking? I was kinda thinking more over towards Mesa or Queen creek to get in a more irrigated area... She wants a sante fe with a pool, that's her only real requirements lol.
I actually know a teacher, one of my friends, but I don't know if he's what you're looking for. I could give you his info. There are plenty around from what I know of. This place is very spread out so you may want or need to pick based on your location moreso than anything else.

Goodyear, I'm not super familiar with. I know it's one of the communities that was mostly farmland and desert until 10-15 years ago. The houses are nice and relatively new and affordable. Same with Queen Creek and East Mesa. If your family's in Goodyear, Queen Creek and East Mesa are probably close to an hour away. Since you don't have to commute to work it's probably not a big deal whichever one you choose.

Back