Gigging Guitar Dilemma

OP - I'm not disagreeing that you should gig them all or that you should buy an even nicer one to baby - so you can gig with these. But I did see this S2 listing on reverb and considered grabbing it myself. It's got some dings already but that doesn't bother me. I decided not to buy it myself though as I have several other purchases I need to make right now. But check it out if you're interested - https://reverb.com/item/14717636-paul-reed-smith-s2-custom-24-gray-black-2014 (are we allowed to link to random listings on reverb?)

Anyway, I would totally keep gigging the P22 though. A) it's already got some dings and B0 it has that Piezo pickup!

The other day I figured I’d listen to their greatest hits album, and perhaps reconsider their work.

I almost made it through two songs.

I guess torture isn’t illegal in Canada.

Hahaha! Man... I clicked on a link to them yesterday that was posted here, I couldn’t make it through the verse.

Back on topic, I am proof that you can gig everything you own and live to tell the story. With minor exception, every one of my guitars has a booboo or two. Stuff just happens. You try not to allow anything bad happen, but the the unpredictable creeps up and gives you a wet willie! Some of the bumps are from gigs (stand collapse, jamming the PRS horns into a stage ceiling, fookin’ cymbals) others are from toddlers, wives, cats, and dogs. Sh*t just happens. But you know what? They are all just as amazing and gorgeous as they were when fresh and pristine. Did I buy some cheaper PRS guitars to submit them to the rigors of the road instead? Yes. Did I realize that they were not cheaper but less expensive workhorse instruments that can run in the same pack as any other guitar I own? Unexpectedly, yes! My SE245 has logged a ton of gig and recording time with me in the couple of years I’ve owned it. My stunning SE One can be my #1 any day of the week at any gig. Would I let either of these be hurt more than my CU24 or DGT? No. Lesson: just play the darned things and keep that grin on your face. :D

Btw, while I was writing this in my car at lunch, Rush’s The Main Monkey Business was the backing track...and it did not suck.

Last edited:
Back on topic, I am proof that you can gig everything you own and live to tell the story. With minor exception, every one of my guitars has a booboo or two. Stuff just happens. You try not to allow anything bad happen, but the the unpredictable creeps up and gives you a wet willie! Some of the bumps are from gigs (stand collapse, jamming the PRS horns into a stage ceiling, fookin’ cymbals) others are from toddlers, wives, cats, and dogs. Sh*t just happens. But you know what? They are all just as amazing and gorgeous as they were when fresh and pristine. Did I buy some cheaper PRS guitars to submit them to the rigors of the road instead? Yes. Did I realize that they were not cheaper but less expensive workhorse instruments that can run in the same pack as any other guitar I own? Unexpectedly, yes! My SE245 has logged a ton of gig and recording time with me in the couple of years I’ve owned it. My stunning SE One can be my #1 any day of the week at any gig. Would I let either of these be hurt more than my CU24 or DGT? No. Lesson: just lay the darned things and keep that grin on your face. :D

Btw, while I was writing this in my car at lunch, Rush’s The Main Monkey Business was the backing track...and it did not suck.

Oddly, the ding that hurt the most was on my sparkly red SE Orianthi, the guitar I originally bought to bash around on.

You could invest in an enclosed guitar rack, which would take a lot of uncertainty out of them whilst on stage at gigs!

Or go Derek Smalls mode...

article-2569316-1BEB429100000578-997_634x415.jpg

I normally have both guitar and drums in tow already and I drive a mini. You setting me up for another 'how many xxx can you get into a mini?' challenge?

If you're towing the drums and the other guitar, you should have plenty of room in the mini!!!

...the better solution is “bottom-up”.

Bottoms up is always the better solution!* :D:D:D

(* - Good lord people, how do you let this sit out there for almost 22 hours without taking the shot?)

(* - Good lord people, how do you let this sit out there for almost 22 hours without taking the shot?)

How about it? It was so obvious that while I typed it out I had to reword it to be even slightly less smarmy.

It did lead to a rather solid idea for a gay dance track I’m gonna work on called “Bottom’s Up, Top’s Down” with some thinly veiled lyrics about drinking in a convertible though.

May I direct you to the first concept in my 1-800-IDEAS-4-U thread?

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/1-800-ideas-4-u.33408/
I designate giggers. They are nice guitars, but I’ve decided that they may take a hit or two. On the other hand, I’m not taking a dragon to a bar; ain’t gonna happen.

This is the PRS:

I chose it because it’s light, plays great, sounds great, feels great (RW neck), and has a piezo. Covers a lot of ground.

Beautiful guitar, probably quite jealous! How do you get the best out of the piezo through a standard amp? Or do you go straight into the PA with it? I do have an acoustic amp which the piezo sounds amazing through but once it gets into an standard amp, it loses some of its shine and goes quite muddy.

How about it? It was so obvious that while I typed it out I had to reword it to be even slightly less smarmy.

It did lead to a rather solid idea for a gay dance track I’m gonna work on called “Bottom’s Up, Top’s Down” with some thinly veiled lyrics about drinking in a convertible though.

Just remember that another word for convertible is soft top, that gets you a second verse :D

So I have 3 beautiful PRS guitars, all expensive loveliness being a 594, an AP Custom and a 22 piezo. Happy to take these guitars into the studio to record, happy to play them endlessly at home.

But the combination of my natural capacity for accidents (that has already put a small dink in the neck of the 22) and the risk of them going missing in action means I am not happy about taking them to gigs. What do you guys do? Take the chance? Buy a cheaper SE? Buy a cheap 'other' non-PRSi?

Not only "play them" but put them in a good gig bag instead of the hard case and literally toss them into the back seat when you travel to do shows. Rubbin' is racin'

OP - I'm not disagreeing that you should gig them all or that you should buy an even nicer one to baby - so you can gig with these. But I did see this S2 listing on reverb and considered grabbing it myself. It's got some dings already but that doesn't bother me. I decided not to buy it myself though as I have several other purchases I need to make right now. But check it out if you're interested - https://reverb.com/item/14717636-paul-reed-smith-s2-custom-24-gray-black-2014 (are we allowed to link to random listings on reverb?)

Anyway, I would totally keep gigging the P22 though. A) it's already got some dings and B0 it has that Piezo pickup!

Thank you, that was quite noble of you. Unfortunately shipping to the UK may present a problem. And it is rare we see this stuff that cheap second hand here.

But I do take the point from both you and @alantig that I should gig the P22 given it's already dinged

Beautiful guitar, probably quite jealous! How do you get the best out of the piezo through a standard amp? Or do you go straight into the PA with it? I do have an acoustic amp which the piezo sounds amazing through but once it gets into an standard amp, it loses some of its shine and goes quite muddy.

That’s a good question. I was using a 2 channel amp and using the clean channel with a bit of reverb and compression, but now I’m using a Headrush pedalboard and 2 active FRFR cabs, so I’ll have to do a bit of experimenting. I’ll have to get back on that.

You need backup guitars, man! Guitars are just tools. Don't measure their value by how much they cost but by how well they solve your problem. If you have great tools that are comfortable to play and produce great tone but you can't risk damaging or losing them then find something suitable for gigs. I have found it impossible to sacrifice.

Back