Gigging Guitar Dilemma

Cocorosa

So I have 3 beautiful PRS guitars, all expensive loveliness being a 594, an AP Custom and a 22 piezo. Happy to take these guitars into the studio to record, happy to play them endlessly at home.

But the combination of my natural capacity for accidents (that has already put a small dink in the neck of the 22) and the risk of them going missing in action means I am not happy about taking them to gigs. What do you guys do? Take the chance? Buy a cheaper SE? Buy a cheap 'other' non-PRSi?

I play mine. If something happens so be it. It is meant to be played and give you enjoyment.

I was a collector before, now that I play out I look at my guitars as tools. I bring 3 with me usually. My #1, a CU 24, my WL P24, and a 12 Rainsong. $9,000 plus or minus just in guitars. If I had my energy I would bring more!!

I gig all mine regularly. No SE replacement. I bought the guitars because they made me a better player (I was inspired to "go for it" more)….what better place to utilize them than in the performance realm?

Giggity gigitty gig them!
Ain't no case queens in my collection.
That being said, everyone is different, and there certainly are many great examples of S2 and SE to be found.

Girl, lemme tell you a secret that’ll allow you to play your fancier guitars at gigs without worrying as much about them: Buy an even fancier new PRS.

Then you don’t care as much. See? The correct answer is to always buy another guitar.

I accept the fact that they are tools (beautiful, immaculately crafted tools) and that they may acquire a bit of wear during the course of use.

I keep them under my control as much as possible. This is part of why I carry them in gig bags. That makes them easy to tuck behind an amp or the drums or to carry with me.

I use high quality A-frame stands on stage, as I find them most stable. The moment the gig is done, they go back in the gig bags. It only takes a few seconds, so you can still go collect your accolades and socialize with the crowd. A few years ago, a bandmate was catching up with people after a gig. The sound guy was collecting the mics and knocked my bandmate's LP off his tubular stand and it bounced right off the stage.

I think people tend to baby their guitars a bit too much. Guitars don't get enough credit for how robust they really are. I control what I can. Otherwise, que sera sera.

I accept the fact that they are tools (beautiful, immaculately crafted tools) and that they may acquire a bit of wear during the course of use.

I keep them under my control as much as possible. This is part of why I carry them in gig bags. That makes them easy to tuck behind an amp or the drums or to carry with me.

I use high quality A-frame stands on stage, as I find them most stable. The moment the gig is done, they go back in the gig bags. It only takes a few seconds, so you can still go collect your accolades and socialize with the crowd. A few years ago, a bandmate was catching up with people after a gig. The sound guy was collecting the mics and knocked my bandmate's LP off his tubular stand and it bounced right off the stage.

I think people tend to baby their guitars a bit too much. Guitars don't get enough credit for how robust they really are. I control what I can. Otherwise, que sera sera.

Exactly this. Yet another reason why he’s the BAMOTY.

I've gigged my wood library custom 24 a few times but I found I was a nervous wreck about it walking away or getting knocked onto the ground (my band members love to just pull on cables without checking if they're caught on anything)

My solution was to get a used DGT, this solved a number of things for me.

1. I wanted a DGT anyways and now had an excuse to get one!
2. Got one at 7.5lbs due to my bad disk so it's easier to gig with.
3. We're a cover band and it really excels in that role.

So now I play my custom 24 comfortably at home and have designated the DGT to be my work horse gigging guitar.

I gig em all... Two dual guitar backpack reinforced Mono bags...

I will attest to the very affordable S2 Studio being a great gigging one, though. I used mine almost half the last gig!

Yes, been looking at the dual mono bags. I guess you would rate them highly?

Girl, lemme tell you a secret that’ll allow you to play your fancier guitars at gigs without worrying as much about them: Buy an even fancier new PRS.

Then you don’t care as much. See? The correct answer is to always buy another guitar.

It's exactly this kind of logic that gets me into trouble! Because I learned that there is no such thing as owning one PRS and that the trick is to get several, play them all, don't just be a collector (which totally isn't in my genes anyway), I now own 3 lovely guitars and care what happens to them. Back in the day of the second hand cheapy, I didn't care so much. But then I never sounded so good or enjoyed playing so much. Thanks Sergio - although you would be hopeless to have around if I ever had to go PRS cold turkey!

You could invest in an enclosed guitar rack, which would take a lot of uncertainty out of them whilst on stage at gigs!

Only if I had someone to carry it for me. I normally have both guitar and drums in tow already and I drive a mini. You setting me up for another 'how many xxx can you get into a mini?' challenge?

Back