Gig last Night - Retribution

solacematt

Not sure how many would remember this, but a few months back I posted about a gig my band played where the sound guy was ridiculously unprofessional. Moved a stage monitor and mix while I was singing, touched my amp and my bass players amps while we were playing. Huge no no's. Soundcheck with the original sound guy was fine, the this other guy comes and the sound went down the hole.
Last night we played that venue again in hopes for retribution. Sound man was on point last night. First night using my new McCarty HB with Piezo live for a song. The CU24 as my backup. I don't care what you people say, the rotary in general is tons easier then a toggle and mini toggle, but I digress. The last time we played here we just did a 5 song set. Last night we did 8, debuting two songs we had not yet played live electric. Much cheers and applause from the audience and they genuinely seemed to be paying attention, so that was nice. The vocals were clear and the band had a lot of fun. Our next big show is next month and last nights show definitely helped give a lot of confidence for playing this big show in June that's for sure. Just thought I'd share a good gig was had ;)

Congrats on the successful gig, Matt! I don't think the frustrations with an unfamiliar sound guy ever end. I saw Govt Mule last week in Belgium. First show of a run through Europe. While the performances were stellar, it was the worst mix I've heard in a long time. I bet Warren had a few choice words to say to someone afterward.

Congrats. It's always nice when a gig goes well. We have had a nice string of great gigs ourselves it makes me hungry for more.

Congrats! Sounds like an amazing night! Hoping if I keep working, I'll someday be worthy of playing in front of a crowd!

Awesome, Matt. It's always great when everything falls into place at a gig and everything feels on point. Makes the vibe of the performance great and the band feels together as a whole. The audience feels that, they may not know what or why it is, but they feel right when you feel right and they respond accordingly.

Congrats on the successful gig, Matt! I don't think the frustrations with an unfamiliar sound guy ever end. I saw Govt Mule last week in Belgium. First show of a run through Europe. While the performances were stellar, it was the worst mix I've heard in a long time. I bet Warren had a few choice words to say to someone afterward.

I saw them a couple of weeks ago. The bass drum was so overpoweringly loud it really distracted from the music. Even on slower, quiet song the bass drum would compress your chest. Gov't Mule is my favorite band and I was really surprised at the overall sound. even if the music had been heavy metal the kick would have been too much.

Still, great performance and would not keep me from going to see the Mule.

The virtues of having a good engineer, a good strategy is to get to know the sound guys at the clubs you play in the area. You'll get to know who's good, who's doesn't give a $#it, etc.,and let's face it if a friend is mixing your sound they might do a better job for a buddy.
Next gig that kicks butt try to get a vid, so us PRS fam can hear your new axe in action.:congrats:

Next gig that kicks butt try to get a vid, so us PRS fam can hear your new axe in action.:congrats:

Oh this venue you never know who the soundman is going to be sadly :/
It's funny you mention that though, this is the one gig where the bass player forgot his camnera to capture it. So I was like great, we play here and it sounds good and we don't have proof of it! :p

Oh this venue you never know who the soundman is going to be sadly :/
It's funny you mention that though, this is the one gig where the bass player forgot his camnera to capture it. So I was like great, we play here and it sounds good and we don't have proof of it! :p
Just try to be prepared next time, I'm sure the rest of the board will love to hear it and don't be afraid to try to pull some strings in your area, you'll find buying a beer, a joke and a pat on the back for a good mix, can go a long way. A pretty decent band (the Tubes) here in SF would do a lot of that before they made it big, Fee was a good networker like that. I did a few roadie gigs for them when they were playing the local bars back in the day, they *ALWAYS* had a better mix than most of the other local acts, that's how they did it. He'd get sound guys to ask the club owner to be able work that night.

U know, Goodfellas "I scratch your back" kinda stuff.;)

Last edited:
Back