Gig Bag Recommendations

Tramp

To and Fro, Mostly Fro
i have a trio of new to me PRS electrics, including a DGT, 594 and Santana, and am looking for a mid-priced mid-weight bag to carry one of them to rehearsals and gigs. The high end Monos and Gators would be overkill, but I want something that would cradle the neck reasonably well. Looking at the mid price Reunion Blues and the PRS bag, but open to other recommendations. Thanks!

Honestly, the PRS SE/S2 gig bags are awesome, and therefore I suspect the higher end PRS gig bag to be even better. Although if you can get a good deal on an SE/S2 bag, you may not feel the need for the other one. I take all my guitars to gigs in those bags and have never had an issue.

I use the new S2 gig-bag, myself...they're excellent quality. If the price is too steep new, you can always check the used market. I've seen people who end up buying hard cases for their guitars selling their new gig-bags cheap on a couple sites.

Last edited:
I really like these cases. They are light, scratch resistant, and offer the strength of a card case. I take these to every gig and for in-cabin air travel.

SC:

DC:
On a related topic: how successful have you been in "always" being able to carry on your guitar?

I have yet to need/want to travel by air with a guitar, and I understand some carriers are better/worse than others, but I am paranoid of being the one time some twit at check-in decides to not honor the requirement to allow me to carry on an instrument that fits in the overheads (as long as there is room).

On a related topic: how successful have you been in "always" being able to carry on your guitar?

I have yet to need/want to travel by air with a guitar, and I understand some carriers are better/worse than others, but I am paranoid of being the one time some twit at check-in decides to not honor the requirement to allow me to carry on an instrument that fits in the overheads (as long as there is room).

I’m told it’s the law, at least domestically. I’ve only tried a couple of times with good results, but I don’t have enough tests for credibility. However, these cases are plenty of protection in the cabin.

My SE bags get used all the time. My S2 bag is a little different than my SEs and offers more of a custom headstock protection system, which I like. It can be adjusted to the specific guitar. Regardless, they are good enough until I decide to pop for a Mono dual guitar bag.

My SE bags get used all the time. My S2 bag is a little different than my SEs and offers more of a custom headstock protection system, which I like. It can be adjusted to the specific guitar. Regardless, they are good enough until I decide to pop for a Mono dual guitar bag.

K, I don’t get the love for the Monos. I guess I really want something with more structure/protection than a “gig” bag. If you want a single that’s hardly been used, I’ll sell you mine.

I love the PRS S2 gig bag so much that I kept it when I traded away the actual S2 guitar. I literally said 'there is no bag' with a straight face but what I meant to say was that 'there is no EXTRA bag'. Lol. I use that bag for my Core Custom 24. The SE bag is thinner than the S2 bag but its still decently better than most gig bags on the market. I carry my SAS guitars in SE bags without any problems. You can find SE bags on auctions at very low prices.

If the mono bag is overkill for your needs, I'd definitely recommend trying to find a S2 bag on the bay or the verb.

I have travelled with a PRS guitar in a gig bag a few times and carried it on the plane BUT I've always travelled during the 'non-winter' season and I request that they put my guitar upright in the coat closet. I've never had them say NO to that request. I might need a new strategy if traveling in winter when everyone using the coat closet.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Am I right in thinking that the S2 bag is the black one sold at the PRS store? Does it cradle the neck well? Also intrigued by the RB Aero, which (given Bodia’s recommendation) should work with the Santana.

I've used the SE and S2 bags a bunch, and IMO they're adequate if you're in control of your gear the entire time.

I have a Mono Vertigo that I prefer to gig with because it has better side impact protection. Multiple bands on the bill means multiple load ins/outs with people bumping and jostling gear between sets.

I recently started using a Mono M80 so I can carry two guitars in one bag.

I have this odd looking bag and it works SO WELL! I carry all my guitars in it including the vela with no issue.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...PRU4rMjEuJWwOjBI3A8S6KMvj2O01kGkaAqamEALw_wcB

gallery-gigblade-01_large.jpg

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Am I right in thinking that the S2 bag is the black one sold at the PRS store? Does it cradle the neck well? Also intrigued by the RB Aero, which (given Bodia’s recommendation) should work with the Santana.

The only small issue with the RB Aero is storage. Picks and a couple of cables, but not much else. Offers plenty of side protection though.

I also really like the S2 bag the RL Vela came in. Not sure how much longer I'll have it.

I went on a tear looking for a good gig bag last year, and wound up using my hard cases. Every one of the current ones on the market seemed to have drawbacks.

I was initially impressed with the Mono bag, but noticed that it has a very abrasive-feeling piece of fabric just over where the bridge of the guitar would be. That’s fine for the metal parts, I guess, but some edges would have been against the wood, and seem like they’d put swirl marks, etc., on the finish of the wood. So that was out. Granted, I’m fussy, but the bags were for PS guitars.

Next I looked at the Reunion Blues Continental - protective bag, yes, nicely done, except why the nylon diamond pattern interior stitching that’s both unnecessary, and because it’s nylon thread, kinda likely to eventually swirl up the guitar finish? Regular furry stuff without the stitching would be preferable.

I had two of the old Reunion Blues leather bags before the new management came in; they were sturdy, had soft flannel liners, and were just great, but they aren’t making them any more. I’d previously sold mine with some guitars, and was SOL there.

Access is importing a nice looking leather gig bag from Germany, but I haven’t seen one in person, so haven’t bought it. The bag does look nicely made, and leather is stiff enough and thick enough to offer good stiffness and protection along with the interior padding. So it’s worth looking at. I think they have some nylon ones, too. Not sure, you might want to check.

InCase used to make a fantastic gig bag, including the original one for the John Mayer Strat model; it fits a DC PRS, and if you can find one, I recommend it, because I had one for a short time (sold the bag with the guitar that was in it, dumb move). It may have been the perfect gig bag. InCase no longer makes it.

The Gator bags that 11Top is recommending do look sturdy and protective. So I went to buy one, but two of the brand new ones that I looked at the day they came in to my local store had the plastic liner poking out from the stitching; the bags had literally fallen apart in shipping. Not a good sign, I thought.

If I go to experience I want to take a look at the PRS gig bag.

It’s REALLY hard to find a great gig bag these days!

Oh yeah...final note: The much-maligned SKB cases that come with some lesser guitars are actually very light, protective, and last for years and years. Might be worth considering (I’m not referring to the heavy duty road cases, just the standard stuff).

Last edited:
Back