Gig bag recommendations for SC HB ll

steve mac

Does anyone here use a gig bag for their hollowbody? I am finding the hard case it comes in far too heavy and not able to carry enough gear. So doing research on line it looks like the Mono bags are the way to go, but which of the two M80 or Vertigo and will a singlecut HB fit into the standard bag or will I have to get the Semi Hollow version because of the depth, and if the latter will it rattle around in there?
Any thoughts and recommendations please bearing in mind I will have to order this sight unseen by mail order.

I have the Mono M-80 and it fits my CU 24, HB II and SC Ted with no shifting. I don't have any experience with the Vertigo.
Is that the standard M80 or the M80 Semi Hollow? I am a bit concerned that my PRS HB measures just under 4 inches deep at the bridge and the Mono site says it's max depth is 3.75 inches.
Thanks

Last edited:
I was working a show the other day and a sales rep brought a standard Mono bag out to show me. I can't swear to the exact model but he had a Squier Strat in it for show and tell purposes. I took it back stage and test fit a bunch of PRS guitars in it including a Swamp ash, Mira, SC Modern Eagle, SC Hollowbody with a Bigsby, and a HB II. They all fit fine and it had a red tag sewn on it saying something like "Fly Away". He said if you have that tag the airlines know its approved and they cannot make you gate check it. They either have to let you put it overhead or they have to stow it in a closet up front. I was pretty impressed with the level of protection that bag provided.

I'll never put a valuable guitar in a gig bag again. Never.

How old is your guitar/case? My 2012 is the most perfect guitar case I've ever seen. Why risk a pricey guitar so you can squeeze a bunch of stuff in with it?

I'll never put a valuable guitar in a gig bag again. Never.

How old is your guitar/case? My 2012 is the most perfect guitar case I've ever seen. Why risk a pricey guitar so you can squeeze a bunch of stuff in with it?

In theory you're absolutely right of course, but...

Having carried a guitar in its heavy plywood case for a very long day of travel, including several airports and connecting flights, to go to, say, a foreign city for recording sessions, and then dealing with the luggage and ride in a small taxi to the hotel, and then back and forth in taxis to the studio...not to mention the return trip in reverse...well...been there, done that, and once was enough!

Subsequent trips overseas for sessions, only with a gig bag instead? Yeah...much, much better. Oh, so much better!

I was once doing a project in Holland when the jazz festival in Amsterdam was happening, and it seemed the whole plane was full of musicians with gig bags! There must have been 30 of us! (OK, so not the whole plane, but that's still a lot of folks with gig bags). And since that was everyone's hand luggage, all of the overhead compartments were full of guitars instead of suitcases. It was a sight! But no way I could've gotten my guitar in one in a large rectangular case.

I've always used heavy leather gig bags from Reunion Blues or Levy's for that kind of travel, the guitars have been relatively safe, no damage to mine ever. Here's one made in Germany of distressed cowhide by Harvest that looks very protective, indeed, check out that neck support thing, and the protection from the zipper area. I wouldn't be afraid to take my A-R McCarty Singlecut (a.k.a. The Hammer Of The Gods) out in this:

Last edited:
I was working a show the other day and a sales rep brought a standard Mono bag out to show me. I can't swear to the exact model but he had a Squier Strat in it for show and tell purposes. I took it back stage and test fit a bunch of PRS guitars in it including a Swamp ash, Mira, SC Modern Eagle, SC Hollowbody with a Bigsby, and a HB II. They all fit fine and it had a red tag sewn on it saying something like "Fly Away". He said if you have that tag the airlines know its approved and they cannot make you gate check it. They either have to let you put it overhead or they have to stow it in a closet up front. I was pretty impressed with the level of protection that bag provided.

Thanks for the info, I have only had my HBll for a couple of months and already am passed fed up with the hard case, it is looking like a standard M80 will do the trick thanks for the replies.

Just a belated update on the off chance of anyone else in the same situation. I ended up getting a Gator G-pro gig bag and my Hollowbody ll fits like a glove. Full of confidence now out and about with it.
Cheers Steve

So I normally dislike re-animating dead threads, but I am considering taking my SC HB II to a gig, where portability and ease of carriage on foot is very important. I will have the guitar with me at all times, no stashing in a storage area to get trampled on or have an amp stacked on it. The hardcase is simply a no-go.

I have a multitude of PRS gig bags to use, but I wonder if a Mono or Gator might provide better protection while still maintaining back-pack carrying and reasonable weight.

It seems like the OP has been away for quite a while (the post above seems to have been his last ever here), but does anyone have any recommendations?

I use PRS gig bags all the time for my more-solid electrics, including a P245SH. Would any of you that stated you used those still stand by that, or have you chosen to upgrade to a more protected solution like the Mono M80?

Last edited:
I know you already placed your order, just my 2c I have used Mono Vertigo bags for electric and acoustic and I cannot reccomend them enough.

I know you already placed your order, just my 2c I have used Mono Vertigo bags for electric and acoustic and I cannot reccomend them enough.
I did look at them, as Mono had been recommended in this thread and other areas, and that is one of the options out there for that brand. But at over twice the price of the one @11top recommended, and since a regular PRS gig bag is "good enough" for my solid bodies - just looking for that step up for the HBII - I figured the Gator is a good place to start.

If I traveled (on commercial aircraft) with a guitar at any useful frequency I might consider the M80 Vertigo, though. The water-resistance factor is a nice plus for it too. OTOH, the reviews on Amazon (for example) seem to have a few negatives to say about it that make me wary.

I did look at them, as Mono had been recommended in this thread and other areas, and that is one of the options out there for that brand. But at over twice the price of the one @11top recommended, and since a regular PRS gig bag is "good enough" for my solid bodies - just looking for that step up for the HBII - I figured the Gator is a good place to start.

If I traveled (on commercial aircraft) with a guitar at any useful frequency I might consider the M80 Vertigo, though. The water-resistance factor is a nice plus for it too. OTOH, the reviews on Amazon (for example) seem to have a few negatives to say about it that make me wary.

I have both. IMO, the Gator case is better than the Mono bag for the same money.

I have both. IMO, the Gator case is better than the Mono bag for the same money.

Thanks for that additional info, sir! It is very useful to hear from folks who have both products in a comparison.

Back