Gibson Rants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you guys own Teles, or Deans? Heritage?

One day I plan on getting a Knaggs Severn, Kenai, & SSC

I almost got a Tele once, but I was nuts for SRV at the time, 20 and overly impressionable. So I got my first Strat instead, even though I liked the Tele's tone better. I dig Dean's soft V neck profile. I had one of his import StrettaVitas from his latest business incarnation a year or so back. I liked the neck (etched texture and all) and the pickups sounded pretty good, but the electronics seemed a bit loosey goosey. Man was that thing ever a log and a half, too. Mine must have been made before he started weight relieving that model. I haven't missed it yet after trading it towards my EG. If I ever find a good deal on an 80s Dean Cadillac I'd be tempted though. Heard nothing but good things about Heritage, they're adored by guitarists and their chiropractors alike.

I don't think you could go too far wrong with Joe Knaggs, he was PRSh's right hand man for what, 20 years or so?

I'm going to call a slight amount of BS to the OP. You slam another manufacturer into the ground on multiple forums and yet do not provide one single piece of photographic proof to back up your claims of 3 defective guitars. As the old saying goes... pics or it didn't happen. I'm glad you found your peace with PRS. Heck, I never liked the idea of the 594. I still don't. But, Rob Chapmans new 594 sounds like the bees knees. If you love your new guitar, great. But, I think we could have done without the story which, IMO, is just a story. I own Gibby and PRS. I love both. My flying V makes sounds PRS can't and my PRS makes sounds my V can't. They live together nicely. Your story has the venum of a man who's wife cheated on him so he went out and found a new wife....and not that of a guy who found a nice keeper guitar.

I have two Heritage H150's. One has 59's and one has Seth Lovers. A little heavy but tone monsters.

I'm a bit of a Tele fanatic. I just love them. Have had a few Heritage guitars over the years and they were all nice guitars. Well made and sounded good.

Not that I'm that old but I've been playing for thirty years, and did the gear merry-go-round pretty early in life. I've owned most guitars, and for some of the more iconic models, I've owned multiples of them trying to find the "one" for me.

They never brought me as much enjoyment as my PRS have, so I've stopped looking at them. I finally came to the realization that I'm just attracted to PRS guitars and that is who I am. I'm at peace with it now. All those Tele's and Les Pauls were merely beards for me to try and fit in culturally with other guitar players because I was afraid to admit to myself that I was in love with a PRS.

There is obviously nothing wrong with other guitar brands, they're perfectly acceptable.... for other people.

Just watched the Anderton's video of the '17 Custom 24 vs LP shootout. And I must say, I stand by my statement that the whole Gibson concept, whether it be LP's, SG's, Firebird, V, Explorer, whatever... is truly awesome and deserving of its place in history. I want to want one, the one Lee had in the video looked incredible. The tones were average, but there's a lot going into that equation on a YT video. I know they CAN sound amazing - why else would PRS be following some of their recipes? If Gibson were on top of their game, I'll go ahead and say I would be irritated that PRS was "copying" the LP. But I see it as a favor to guitarists that they offer that guitar that so many want, that in many ways, some objective and some not, are better than the current G offerings (and equal to or better than the best vintage examples as well). Maybe not an exact apples to apples match if we're getting picky, but I'll take what Paul is cooking without complaint.

And, speaking of Heritage, I would love to get some more time with one of their semi hollow 335-style guitars. I looked at one briefly and wasn't sure I liked they neck profile. But they are almost as much a piece of G legacy as modern Gibson itself. Just waiting for Les to call me so we can plan our factory tour.

Just waiting for Les to call me so we can plan our factory tour.

The only factory I'm ever touring has the initials, P.R.S. :)

I like idea of a Michigan company in the guitar biz, but I'm at home on PRS guitars, and don't have a need to look elsewhere.

By the way, I've had a custom shop 335, and I've said this before -- compared to a PRS or other more recent designs, playing it was like driving a 1956 Oldsmobile with crank windows, loose steering, and no A/C on a 95 degree day, 500 miles on the freeway. Not my thing.

The Heritage is like a custom shop Gibson, without the sticker shock, but I'll stick with what I enjoy.

Last edited:
When I started playing PRS did not exist :) and I have done my best to try them all ( Gibson , Fender , Ibanez , Roland , Jackson , Guild , Danelectro ) and I do still look at other brands and miss my V and Tele since my first Core PRS in the Mid 2000s the other brands have left my house and more PRSi have taken there place

..., speaking of Heritage, I would love to get some more time with one of their semi hollow 335-style guitars. I looked at one briefly and wasn't sure I liked they neck profile. But they are almost as much a piece of G legacy as modern Gibson itself. Just waiting for Les to call me so we can plan our factory tour.

The Heritage version is called the H535. The neck size will vary more on Heritage guitars because they are all hand carved and sanded. Try another and you will find one that fits you. Aug 5th they are having the Heritage equivalent of the PRS experience. They will have a tour that day.

...I like idea of a Michigan company in the guitar biz, but I'm at home on PRS guitars, and don't have a need to look elsewhere.

By the way, I've had a custom shop 335, and I've said this before -- compared to a PRS or other more recent designs, playing it was like driving a 1956 Oldsmobile on the freeway. Just not my thing.

Playing my Heritage is like driving an old classic but there is some fun in that too. I don't play it as much as my PRSi but it feels good to go nostalgic once in a while. Would you rather cruise around in a 67 Camaro or the 2017 version. They both have their positives.

I own a Tele - It has some very distinct tones & I have covered a lot of musical territory with it. I wish however that it came with PRS quaility (or that PRS would consider making a guitar similar to a Tele)

Playing my Heritage is like driving an old classic but there is some fun in that too. I don't play it as much as my PRSi but it feels good to go nostalgic once in a while. Would you rather cruise around in a 67 Camaro or the 2017 version. They both have their positives.

Yes, both have positives, and I totally understand.

However, I had a 1968 Firebird 400 when it was new, pretty much the same car as a Camaro, on the same GM platform.

Lots of solid-rear-axle hop, leaf springs, recirculating-ball steering you have to sort of loosely aim in the direction you want to go and then make constant adjustments, sticky vinyl seats, but fun for its era.

That era, however, (for me) stopped in the 70s when I started buying Alfas and BMWs. YMMV. For me, nostalgia can only go a few blocks before I want to jump into a modern car.

I have a GOM 594 and an R9. Love them both and publicly declared both to be lifetime keepers. That said, the R9 is second fiddle to no guitar. Not even a PS 594.

Gibson is run by a non-guitar playing CEO with no passion for the instrument other than how much MONEY it will generate for his company ‼️Paul Reed Smith is EVERYTHING this man is not...welcome to the PRS fever‼️

Gibson is run by a non-guitar playing CEO with no passion for the instrument other than how much MONEY it will generate for his company ‼️Paul Reed Smith is EVERYTHING this man is not...welcome to the PRS fever‼️

Henry says he's a guitar player. Didn't say how well he played, but he did say he had a band when he bought Gibson. For what it's worth...

This is why I moved to PRS almost ten years ago.

Long story, I had actually wanted a McCarty when they came out in like '95 but all I could afford was a set of Artist pickups in '97 to put in my Gibbs Lester and I played the crap out of that piece for more than 7 years before smashing it in the midst of a psychotic break! But smashing that guitar broke my heart and I gave up playing all together for about four years.

Then, while living in Alaska of all places, I walked into Mammoth Music in Anchorage and they had a locked room dedicated to PRS guitars! I asked if they would let me sample the wares and they very graciously let me in. I was immediately drawn to a NOS wrap around tobacco burst pre-lawsuit Singlecut with the original #7 pickups in it. It weighed a ton and sounded amazing! The fit and finish were better than any guitar I had ever held. The frets were perfect, the action was perfect, the "wide fat" neck profile fit like a glove and the clear bold tone from the #7s was awesome. They had a Gibson Custom Shop R8 in the next room that I had to try too and it was like trying to play a sticky 2x4 compared to the PRS. I gave them my tax refund as a down payment on the Singlecut and my PFD (permanent fund dividend, which is money the state pays you for living there) to pay it off a couple of months later. I have never looked back. I have bought and sold and traded up to now own a 408 Standard, a Singlecut HBII, a McCarty 594 and I even got rid of my Taylor and got a USA Angelus Standard.

That Singlecut reignited the flame of music in my soul and every PRS I have touched since has been an inspiration, these guitars have soul! The craftsmen and artists who poured there sweat into the construction of these instruments have left their mark on me! I will always play a PRS, plugged in or acoustic, I have found my voice in PRS!

Last edited:
About that Gibson review video: Wow. The issues that axe has are unforgivable on such a product price range. Heck, they are unforgivable on any guitar except maybe a cheap $100 Sears special.

I have always been hesitant to paint an entire company's quality level with just anecdotal evidence, but this seems atrocious.

Glad I buy PRS! And I buy them, and will continue to buy them, without ever playing first and know they will still be a quality instrument!

What folks demand in terms of fit, finish, and perfection in a guitar today was simply not demanded many years ago, when most Gibsons were designed. The same is true of a lot of products; cars, furnishings, etc.

Whether Gibson has kept up with many of today's consumers is an open question. And PRS certainly raised the bar.

However, I've played (and owned) beautifully made Gibsons over the years. The thing about their guitars is that unless you're special ordering one of their highest end models (today that would be from their "made to measure" program), you're taking your chances unless you buy from dealer stock.

That's the way people traditionally bought guitars, old-school we'd "run the racks," and it's still the most sensible way to choose one from any builder, even though PRS custom orders have never failed to be great for me.

I'm all-PRS for many reasons, but I don't really see a reason to bash another builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back