GG 5 String Bass question

yankeebulldog

I don't like to get that specific
I was curious if anyone with a GG 5 or even a 4 string bass has put heavier strings on theirs than the stock gauge? I just put a set of D'addario 45-135s on mine and the low B, E, and A strings don't seat very far into the bridge saddles. Obviously, I can still lower the action and re-intonate, but I wondered if anyone else had this issue? The strings still sound fine even though they are barely in the saddle grooves. I'm wondering if I need to get the grooves filed larger or if it's not an issue.

I would imagine you'll be fine, as long as the string bottom actually rests in the groove of each saddle. I too have GG5 and changed to a very slightly different set, and had to lower a couple saddles (B,E,A) ...I would highly recommend NOT altering your saddles...But try to find strings that are "taper" wound, so they will fit better in the saddles. Hope this helps.

I would imagine you'll be fine, as long as the string bottom actually rests in the groove of each saddle. I too have GG5 and changed to a very slightly different set, and had to lower a couple saddles (B,E,A) ...I would highly recommend NOT altering your saddles...But try to find strings that are "taper" wound, so they will fit better in the saddles. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I was thinking of maybe trying some taper wound or flatwounds on it. I haven't seen a set of anything but roundwounds that are this heavy of a gauge on the low B but 130 on the low B might be enough. I lowered the saddles and re-intonated the bridge and it plays just fine. The strings are secure enough in the grooves that the don't come out. I don't do any fancy slapping or popping of the strings as my bass technique is fairly "metal" and classic rock these days.

Back