Getting Old is Expensive

This is all very enlightening. So my husband should realize how *lucky* he is that I don't care what my kitchen looks like, I just need a few more guitars. Seriously though that's great that you are converting your living room to a music room. My friend just turned her dining room into her practice room and she loves it. As for me, part of the basement is my Ma'am Cave studio, though I still have cases and stands everywhere.

Come to think of it, my wife maybe thinks I’m an ex-boyfriend crashing in her house, and should be sleeping on the couch!! ;)

You’re thinking of bass players.

Class, let’s review...
bassist_expectations.jpg

Tell that to Paul McCartney. I think he had plenty of women admirers, and only two basses. My son’s band’s bassist lives with a successful, beautiful, fashion model.

This chart is something guitar players look at to feel better about themselves.

Beatle-ness trumps all. Even Ringo married a hot actress. Joe Walsh - THE Joe Walsh - had to settle for her sister.

And before anyone brings up Yoko, I will remind you of Lennon's contrarian nature.

This chart is something guitar players look at to feel better about themselves.

I have to agree with this. Most (if not all) of the bass players I know have like, maybe two to three basses (unless they’re really guitar players), have never had problems getting (very attractive) women, and are generally more successful, and work more than their guitar playing counterparts.

Now drummers on the other hand...

‘expectation’ guy has 4 ladies and no bass, which sounds about right. (chart doesn’t depict all his acoustics — bass guys always keep a bunch of crummy acoustic guitars around to remember what chords sound like.)

Ha! This is also very true!

Expectative vs reality is so frustrating...
Many times I’ve felt the need to opening a thread about this, because years go by and you (me) never become what you wanted to be in music... but eventually is so painful that I decide not to talk about depression or anxiety. :(
It’s easier to talk about buying new PRS to cover life voids

Expectative vs reality is so frustrating...
Many times I’ve felt the need to opening a thread about this, because years go by and you (me) never become what you wanted to be in music... but eventually is so painful that I decide not to talk about depression or anxiety. :(
It’s easier to talk about buying new PRS to cover life voids

It depends on what you wanted in the first place.
I was 13 the first time I saw someone playing an electric guitar.
"That guy looks like he's having fun. I'm gonna try that."
All I ever wanted was to have fun with it.
Not become famous.
Not get a record contract.
Just have a little bit of fun.

I tried it.
It was fun.
I still do it.
It's still fun.
Total Success!:)

PS:
Somewhere along the fun path I inadvertently:
Have been recorded.
Have been on television twice.
Have been on the cover of a regional publication.
Have been recognized in shopping malls and an airport.
(almost locally famous...)
Regularly played large venues to crowds of 1,000+
Gone as far as to play a sold out 19,000 seat arena. ("How did I get here?")
Made enough money playing to pay for every piece of gear I have ever bought.

...but it has always, ALWAYS, been about the fun.

Last edited:
yes, really.

Over generalization based on small sample size. And, not true at all. I know lots of really fine bass players that have wonderful guitars; one of my buds has a stable of PRSes and Martin acoustics, and one composes music for films and has an amazing instrument collection, but both primarily play bass.

Even my band’s bass player in college had some sweet high end Gibsons and Martins. And this was in the days before Martin or Gibson made budget instruments.

Come to think of it, lots of folks who call themselves guitar players have crappy guitars, and can’t find their behinds with both hands when it comes to women.

Then there are orchestral bass players, many of whose instruments cost six figure money.

My comment about guitar players was, obviously, a punch line, not an assertion of truth.

Last edited:
I'd like to have a basement, but in Arizona you are generally sitting on a concrete slab (which is about the same consistency of the ground below).
At least, in theory, you can dig down and create a basement. Where I live, like most of Florida, when you dig down 10 feet for a basement you get 6 feet of water.

We couldn’t survive without the space of a basement. Where do you put your spare fridges, your bicycles, your boxes of spare stuff you might need in 10 years (even though you haven’t needed it in the last 20)?
Oh man, I miss my basements from when I lived up north! My wine cellar area under the front porch (nice cool area), plenty of room to stash guitar and drum cases, and I remodeled a portion of the basement of my last house up there to have a dedicated music room - did everything myself - walls, ceiling, carpeting, door, electrical (all to code, of course).

Back