Getting Old is Expensive

tiboy

My wife just had a 0 birthday. I asked what she wanted. Big mistake. Seems I’m now on the hook for a serious home remodeling including a new kitchen. On the upside, the heretofore unused living room is now to be my dedicated music room. Plus I negotiated a new 75” TV for the new family room. There will not be any NGD days from me for a long time.

My wife just had a 0 birthday. I asked what she wanted. Big mistake. Seems I’m now on the hook for a serious home remodeling including a new kitchen. On the upside, the heretofore unused living room is now to be my dedicated music room. Plus I negotiated a new 75” TV for the new family room. There will not be any NGD days from me for a long time.
Looks like you’re trading up though! Years ago, my wife conceded that putting all the music gear in the den was preferable to having it pretty much everywhere else. Hence came the creation of Rick’s Band Cave, and the remainder of the house generally free of cord related tripping hazards. It has been a wonderful trade off for me, and the advantages of having everything hooked up, out of the case, and ready to play far outweigh the concessions elsewhere.

And you got a big TV to boot, so double score! (Move the old TV to the wall of the new music space!)

Working out the layout now. The old tv is likely moving to the music room. Coincidentally a box full of String Swing guitar hangers showed up yesterday.
We are on the same wavelength, my friend! I’ve got 8 of the S/S hangers up already, and another 4 pack inbound now! I should have done that long ago!

I bought like, three guitars and an amp while we were remodeling.... after shelling out ridiculous amounts of cash for poorly constructed appliances, furniture, cabinets, and fixtures (not to mention the prices I was paying my dirtbag contractors) it felt good to buy some quality PRS and a Mesa head. :mad::rolleyes::oops::p

I always get transportation for a 0 birthday, so I like them. My wife has wanted to ignore her own 0 birthdays for a bit, so I can’t complain there.

But, the kitchen is ageing so we’ve started to have that discussion. And som floors are showing wear. Our dining room was designated the music room when we bought the house though. It doesn’t need anything but 5 fewer guitars so I can buy something new.

that's a good trade off! Happy days for both you and the Mrs.

I got kinda lucky. The wife has back problems, and doesn't wander down to the basement at all any more. I work down there. I couple of years ago I was sitting in my "music room" (spare bedroom), looking at the walls. She walked in and asked what I was doing. "Trying to figure out where I'm going to hang the new guitar I have coming." Her reply, "What about the basement?" I was floored because up to that point guitars in the basement were a no go, per her. Now, I'm sitting here typing this, listening to a monotonous conference call. If I pause to look over my shoulder, I can see 10 guitars and a Kemper!

that's a good trade off! Happy days for both you and the Mrs.

I got kinda lucky. The wife has back problems, and doesn't wander down to the basement at all any more. I work down there. I couple of years ago I was sitting in my "music room" (spare bedroom), looking at the walls. She walked in and asked what I was doing. "Trying to figure out where I'm going to hang the new guitar I have coming." Her reply, "What about the basement?" I was floored because up to that point guitars in the basement were a no go, per her. Now, I'm sitting here typing this, listening to a monotonous conference call. If I pause to look over my shoulder, I can see 10 guitars and a Kemper!
I'd like to have a basement, but in Arizona you are generally sitting on a concrete slab (which is about the same consistency of the ground below).

I feel your pain... *cries while looking at guitars on sweetwater*

I'd like to have a basement, but in Arizona you are generally sitting on a concrete slab (which is about the same consistency of the ground below).
We couldn’t survive without the space of a basement. Where do you put your spare fridges, your bicycles, your boxes of spare stuff you might need in 10 years (even though you haven’t needed it in the last 20)?

for real and i guess the ‘string swing’ is for sting (uk, tuscany, central park west, doesn’t change his own strings)— i keep my guitar in the case and the case by the door.

Back