Getting back into guitar - Considering CU24 or CE24

Well crap... I went to GC to try out a CE 24 and the neck just felt too thin. I felt like I was playing a drum stick. Unfortunately, CE 24's only come in pattern thin. I played an SE Custom 24 with a pattern reg neck and it felt a little more comfortable. I'm glad I didn't make any impulsive buys. The thing is, I used to LOVE thin necks.

Most of the older CE's have wide thin necks too... Maybe the CE22 has a wide fat neck? I am sure someone with a CE22 will chime in.

I'm SO addicted to Reverb now. :)

You know it could be that I'm so used to playing bass that switching back to guitar is a shell shock. Basses in general have beefier necks (obviously).

Yeah that might be what I turn to. I can't stand the bevel on the more affordable models. I like a rounder top piece. That's why I could never get used to a Gibson SG. I always preferred LPs.

Oh and I just read a pattern thin is wider than a pattern regular. Weird. So the pattern regular must just be a deeper cut.

I think the nut might be narrower on the pattern regular but certainly the depth of the neck carve is deeper. Regarding the bevel carve you don't like. Neither the CE (old or new) or CU24 core model have a bevel carve so you're good there.

OK I've been looking at CU24s on Reverb. I see one on there where they say the neck is 'Pattern' and the fret board wood is katalox. Now, to my knowledge, they don't call the necks pattern anymore. It's pattern thin or pattern regular, right? And the fret board wood... I'm not sure what to think about that one.

OK I've been looking at CU24s on Reverb. I see one on there where they say the neck is 'Pattern' and the fret board wood is katalox. Now, to my knowledge, they don't call the necks pattern anymore. It's pattern thin or pattern regular, right? And the fret board wood... I'm not sure what to think about that one.

There are 4 Pattern Necks - Pattern, Pattern Regular, Pattern Thin and Pattern Vintage

patternvintageneckshape.jpg

Hope that helps. I would be surprised though if the Cu24 is just a 'Pattern' neck - unless specially ordered. Its usually Pattern Thin with a few Pattern Regular - at least that's how it seems to me...

They got it wrong. It was a custom 22 with a pattern neck--not a custom 24 as stated in the heading.

Sorry for the back and forth... I'm still hunting. Could anyone tell me if the aqua bleux is too light? I'm considering making a purchase on one, but in each picture, the blue looks drastically different. If I had my choice, I'd get the gray/black. However, I'm not opposed to other colors if they're darker and more subdued. Thanks.

I went to GC and spent about an hour there. They actually did have a CU24 so I was able to A/B that and a CE24 for a good long time. I honestly don't know how the CU24 is worth $1,300 more.. With the CE, I know the bridge is Korean. I know the neck is three pieces (who cares as a lot of companies use this technique to make the neck stronger), and the body carve is shallower, which I didn't notice while playing. And the knobs aren't sunk in the body. And the most obvious--the neck is a bolt-on. Not a big deal, really. So, I think I'm going to settle on the CE24. I did like the CU24 a little bit better, but I'm not sure if it was $1,300 better. Now in the used market, I'd be paying about 1k more--not $1,300. It seems there's a bigger price drop with a used CU24 than a CE24. I found a few I could get for around $2,500. Well, actually about 2 or 3 at the moment.

The responsible side of me is saying to get the CE24, but the vain side wants the CU24. And the biggest thing I worry about is buying a CE24, but then wanting a CU24 after I've had it. Good God man... The internal struggle is strong.

At the end of the day, that's the same with all guitars. Is the S2 Cu24worth more than the SE Cu24 - after all the only difference seems to be a pretty veneer and multi-piece body vs being built in the US but still has the same PU's and Bridge. Is the CE24 really worth much more than the S2 Cu24 - the CE has US pups but has to go with the bolt-on neck - they both share the same bridge. Is the Cu24 worth that much more despite using a thicker piece of maple and the extra man-hours of sanding, using a US made bridge instead of the moulded bridge, coming in a hardcare, different neck construction etc even if they also use the same bridge as they do on the SE's. t gets worse of you look at the price difference from SE to Core - is the core really worth 4x the price? Do you get 4x the guitar?

I am not going to say that the price differences are worth it or not because for some people they will be and others, a SE, S2 or CE is good enough (although I hate that expression) for their needs/finances. There isn't a right answer and you know which model gives you the best bang for buck performance - the point that you don't get enough 'more' for the difference you have to fork out. You can look at Cars as a comparison too - the point at which version of the car gives you the performance, features etc and which options are not worth the extra in price. What you get for your money and how much you value different aspects, even money itself all play into the decision and why its not a one answer for all. If you are eaning mega bucks, $1k here or there isn't all that significant but to someone who may only have $50 a week free cash (after all their bills etc are paid) will find spending $1k on a guitar let alone paying $1k more, will have a very different opinion on what's worth it to them.

If you feel the CE 24 is the right guitar for you, that the Cu24 isn't worth spending extra on, then that is perfectly reasonable, Every tier of PRS are excellent in their price bracket so a great choice. Obviously used market may well be a way to get a guitar from a tier you possibly wouldn't of considered to buy new but the most important thing really though is to buy a guitar that you love to play and can comfortably afford. Buying something at you limit can be restrictive - not want to play it as hard or take it out to gigs in case it gets damaged and may not be as much fun as a cheaper guitar. As long as you are happy playing it, it doesn't matter if its not a 'core' PRS.

At the end of the day, that's the same with all guitars. Is the S2 Cu24worth more than the SE Cu24 - after all the only difference seems to be a pretty veneer and multi-piece body vs being built in the US but still has the same PU's and Bridge. Is the CE24 really worth much more than the S2 Cu24 - the CE has US pups but has to go with the bolt-on neck - they both share the same bridge. Is the Cu24 worth that much more despite using a thicker piece of maple and the extra man-hours of sanding, using a US made bridge instead of the moulded bridge, coming in a hardcare, different neck construction etc even if they also use the same bridge as they do on the SE's. t gets worse of you look at the price difference from SE to Core - is the core really worth 4x the price? Do you get 4x the guitar?

I am not going to say that the price differences are worth it or not because for some people they will be and others, a SE, S2 or CE is good enough (although I hate that expression) for their needs/finances. There isn't a right answer and you know which model gives you the best bang for buck performance - the point that you don't get enough 'more' for the difference you have to fork out. You can look at Cars as a comparison too - the point at which version of the car gives you the performance, features etc and which options are not worth the extra in price. What you get for your money and how much you value different aspects, even money itself all play into the decision and why its not a one answer for all. If you are eaning mega bucks, $1k here or there isn't all that significant but to someone who may only have $50 a week free cash (after all their bills etc are paid) will find spending $1k on a guitar let alone paying $1k more, will have a very different opinion on what's worth it to them.

If you feel the CE 24 is the right guitar for you, that the Cu24 isn't worth spending extra on, then that is perfectly reasonable, Every tier of PRS are excellent in their price bracket so a great choice. Obviously used market may well be a way to get a guitar from a tier you possibly wouldn't of considered to buy new but the most important thing really though is to buy a guitar that you love to play and can comfortably afford. Buying something at you limit can be restrictive - not want to play it as hard or take it out to gigs in case it gets damaged and may not be as much fun as a cheaper guitar. As long as you are happy playing it, it doesn't matter if its not a 'core' PRS.

100% spot on. Though it doesn't make my decision any easier. :)

Cool - hope it brings you joy and have a lot of fun with it...
Thanks! Yeah I figured I'd start with a CE24 and if I stick with guitar for a while, maybe move up to a CU24. Either way, both guitars are sick.

Back