Getting back into guitar - Considering CU24 or CE24

GonzoJohn

Hey all,
I'm new to the forums, but have been a lurker for many years. I'm getting back into guitar as I've primarily been playing bass for the past 5-7 years exclusively. I have a mid-range Gibson acoustic and a Gibson ES-335. What I'd like to do is pick up a PRS solid body--either a Custom 24 or CE24. Here in lies the problem... I can't make up my mind. Well almost... I was set on a used CE24, but I've read mixed reviews on it with the bolt-on neck, the corners they cut with the imported hardware, and gig bag instead of hard shell case, etc. Now I would REALLY love to get a Custom 24, but even a used one is quite expensive.

My question is really two-fold. Is the CE24 worth the money or is it cheaply made, and is the Custom 24 worth the jump in cost compared to a CE24. I used to have a stop tail Custom 22 but that was years ago, so I'm not really familiar with these other models. I've only done enough research to know it's one or the other. Thanks!

Each is well priced for their price point. Obviously there are cost cutting aspects with the CE - thinner piece of maple and not as carved as a Core Custom 24 is one aspect. If you get 2 CE guitars from the same quantity of maple needed for a Core, then you half the cost of that top - and not being so deeply carved, it takes around 1/3rd of the time to sand it ready for finish. You make more necks by building it from 3 pieces - the scarfe joint for headstock and extra bit to add to the heel. Normally a Maple neck compared to a 1 piece Mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. The other change is the moulded trem bridge which with the bolt on tends to give a brighter, snappier 24 fret guitar. Some prefer the CE for this reason and find it more comfortable as the carve has a 'sharper' edge.

Both share the same Pick-ups (if you buy new), the same method of curing the woods etc so it really comes down to budget and preference. I doubt if you ask eveyone here about the CE, every one would say that it is a fantastic guitar in its own right and competes incredibly well at its price point - something that can be said about EVERY tier. If you have up to $1k for example, then the SE's would certainly be a great choice and very competitive guitars with the rest of the $1k and under.

The choice really should be yours and only yours to make. Its your money and you that will be playing it. The best thing to do is try both - see which one fits you best. There is no denying that the Core guitars are as good as (if not better than) a custom shop build with no compromises in any area - they really are that good. CE's though are also superb instruments with some compromises to build them to a price point but you shouldn't take that as a 'negative'. Its a positive because PRS have made such a great guitar that is more affordable. Its perhaps better to also see it as a 'different' take on the Core Custom 24 that ends up with a brighter and snappier version that some also feel to be more comfortable. Buying a used Core is a great option and probably won't lose much money if you decide to sell - especially if the case and case candy are kept.

Whatever you decide, you will be getting a fantastic instrument!

No issues with the CE, if you're going new. If you are open to the used market, you can get some good deals on older CEs and Cu24s. I scored a great '95 Cu24 in the spring, for a great price. Almost mint condition.

Thanks for the great replies. I probably will end up going with a CE24 then. Although I'd love to get a CU24, a used one would cost 2k and up. And I actually haven't seen one that low yet. I have seen used CEs for 1200 and up, which is completely doable. Add the fact that their snappier with the bolt-on, it might be right up my alley.

Thanks for the great replies. I probably will end up going with a CE24 then. Although I'd love to get a CU24, a used one would cost 2k and up. And I actually haven't seen one that low yet. I have seen used CEs for 1200 and up, which is completely doable. Add the fact that their snappier with the bolt-on, it might be right up my alley.

Really can't go wrong either way!

The CE bodies are US-made. Honestly, I don’t think the hardware is much of a compromise at all. If you’re not crazy about pickups, fine, but they can easily be swapped out.

The guitars definitely fit a PRS multi-fit case, if you’re not into gig bags. Fact is, you pay for either one when you buy a guitar, even if they come “free”.

PRS wanted to be extremely price-sensitive to hit a market sweet spot with this model. Most of us think they knocked it out of the park, given price point.

Just my two cents.

If you have the possibility try both types. I own a CE22 (an old one from 95) and a SCT (not that far from a CU22), and except the pickups that are different, each guitar has its own feeling. My SCT has more warmth and my CE more bite, and both sounds great you need to choose in regards of your taste.

Hey all,
I'm new to the forums, but have been a lurker for many years. I'm getting back into guitar as I've primarily been playing bass for the past 5-7 years exclusively. I have a mid-range Gibson acoustic and a Gibson ES-335. What I'd like to do is pick up a PRS solid body--either a Custom 24 or CE24. Here in lies the problem... I can't make up my mind. Well almost... I was set on a used CE24, but I've read mixed reviews on it with the bolt-on neck, the corners they cut with the imported hardware, and gig bag instead of hard shell case, etc. Now I would REALLY love to get a Custom 24, but even a used one is quite expensive.

My question is really two-fold. Is the CE24 worth the money or is it cheaply made, and is the Custom 24 worth the jump in cost compared to a CE24. I used to have a stop tail Custom 22 but that was years ago, so I'm not really familiar with these other models. I've only done enough research to know it's one or the other. Thanks!
Where u based John??

*Note* I have not played a newer Custom 24 or CE with the 85/15 pickups. Just older HFS/VB guitars.

I feel like you just cant go wrong with an older CE. It has a full carve/maple cap, USA made hardware, and a hard case usually. But new ones do come with the 85/15 pickups which are pretty popular pickups and many say that the new thin beveled carve is more comfortable. Also, easily swappable, but the old ones usually have a 5 way rotary while the new ones have a 3-way toggle and push/pull coil split.

The CE and customs play and sound different, I was always left wanting a bit more when I played a Custom 24. I felt like the CE had that extra bite that just let you dig in a bit more! I tried to not like the CE because I thought of the lowest of the low import guitars and their bolt on necks, but that isn't how it is on a USA made PRS!

I have a 2019 CE24 Semi Hollow and a Dustie Waring CE24. While not specifically what you're asking about, I can vouch for the quality. There is nothing cheap about the feel and tone of the CE24. In truth, it of the 12+ PRS guitars I have, the CE24SH is my go to guitar right now.

Interesting to note, I had my Dustie Waring apart and the maple top has to be a half inch thick or more. I was surprised. It's a good piece of maple.

Well crap... I went to GC to try out a CE 24 and the neck just felt too thin. I felt like I was playing a drum stick. Unfortunately, CE 24's only come in pattern thin. I played an SE Custom 24 with a pattern reg neck and it felt a little more comfortable. I'm glad I didn't make any impulsive buys. The thing is, I used to LOVE thin necks.

With the qualifier that I've never played a CE24, I'll just say that I adore my Cu24. I have a whole mess (technical term) of high end guitars, yet the one I still reach for most often is the Cu24. I feel like I have to push myself to play the others at times.

So many great tones and so much fun to play.

With the qualifier that I've never played a CE24, I'll just say that I adore my Cu24. I have a whole mess (technical term) of high end guitars, yet the one I still reach for most often is the Cu24. I feel like I have to push myself to play the others at times.

So many great tones and so much fun to play.

Yeah that might be what I turn to. I can't stand the bevel on the more affordable models. I like a rounder top piece. That's why I could never get used to a Gibson SG. I always preferred LPs.

Oh and I just read a pattern thin is wider than a pattern regular. Weird. So the pattern regular must just be a deeper cut.

Last edited:
Back