General Guitar setup/maintenance help/FAQs for anyone

faye

I dont know how this works but I got my Custom 24 SE shipped to me last week and couldn't be happier with it. I dont know how forums work so if i'm doing something wrong, tell me please. I want anyone to be able to ask random questions about maintenance and I dont know where to do that so I guess i'll make a thread.

My question is, I am scared that I dont know how to adjust my guitar if I needed to. Ive only been playing 2 years so i am terrified of messing up my PRS by trying to adjust the string action or the intonation. There arent any good guitar technicians where I live so I just dont know how to proceed with this. Should I try myself and risk ruining my guitar? Should I leave it be? How do i even check if the action is too high or if the guitars intonation is off? Will I even need to adjust anything for the time being?

I know thats a lot, but your advice would greatly be appreciated.

The most common mistake people make is to try to make adjustments to a tremolo while the strings are tuned and at tension.

It's OK to make small adjustments to intonation or saddle height, but adjustments to the screws that mount the trem, or to the springs or claw that hold the springs need to be made with no string tension at all to avoid damage.

The good news is, for normal adjustments, you should never have to touch the trem mounting screws or spring or claw.

Again, small adjustments to intonation or individual saddle height are fine.

Thanks guys. Ive just checked the intonation and its not off by much so i think i can put this off until my next string changing

Back