"General Discussion?"

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
The thing I don't get is, you see us having COMPLETELY HARMLESS fun. Quoting movie lines from an all time classic comedy. Why call for Shawn as if something bad was going on? That is one of those, "if you don't want to play, just go to another thread" things. I don't know why you kept calling for Shawn. Harmless fun. And, if you don't want to participate there, that has nothing to do with the other areas of the forum, or not fitting in. Not sure why that made you uncomfortable.

The truth is, I'm not the forum police, but I've detected the smell of troll a bit here lately, and I prefer to act silly and have fun with trolls, so they aren't the one getting the last laugh. Maybe your nose didn't pick up the scent like some did, and that's OK too. In that event, it was just boys having fun and harming nobody. Honestly, I have no clue why the thread got locked.

Okay, I didn't really want to air this out in public, but since you've pushed this point out into the open I feel like I have to respond.

Lord knows I like to have my fun in forums, and particularly in this forum. I've long felt that my most important role here is to try to keep things light, to defuse situations that bordering on tense, and mainly to try to contribute to a positive, welcoming atmosphere. I fully believe that as long as we don't cross the lines that the mods set, we should be able to go right up to that line and give it a good kick. And yes, I've had my fingers slapped a couple times.

But I reported this thread for its content. I mean, c'mon - you can't deny that the title is totally misleading. I love a good thread derail as much as the next guy, but this one was never on target. I came here for a general discussion, and we're well into the second page and there's no mention of Eisenhower, Patton, or any other general in here, other than Wakester making the same point that I somehow missed.

Okay, I didn't really want to air this out in public, but since you've pushed this point out into the open I feel like I have to respond.

Lord knows I like to have my fun in forums, and particularly in this forum. I've long felt that my most important role here is to try to keep things light, to defuse situations that bordering on tense, and mainly to try to contribute to a positive, welcoming atmosphere. I fully believe that as long as we don't cross the lines that the mods set, we should be able to go right up to that line and give it a good kick. And yes, I've had my fingers slapped a couple times.

But I reported this thread for its content. I mean, c'mon - you can't deny that the title is totally misleading. I love a good thread derail as much as the next guy, but this one was never on target. I came here for a general discussion, and we're well into the second page and there's no mention of Eisenhower, Patton, or any other general in here, other than Wakester making the same point that I somehow missed.
Ok, I'll save the thread.

Shaq-Gen.png

Alan, I'm a little disappointed in you. Not for reporting my thread. I'm used to that. :p:p:p. But you've been here long enough to know that if you had just been patient... just waited a LITTLE bit longer, I was going to bring up General Tso chicken. You know how it is. You "think" General Tso Chicken, and every time you go to say it... "Squirrel!"

Why not? My dumb cat likes to pee everywhere too.
Sorry, I'm not a hater, but I DO NOT like cats. First, I'm highly allergic to them. But, tell me why I have to keep my dogs in the yard (as expected, a responsibility of pet ownership) but cats are allowed to roam freely about the neighborhood and do what they want? I have had two newer cars scratched from neighbors cats climbing on them to keep warm during winter. Just replaced all the cushions on all the deck furniture, because cats peed on them. This in my fully fenced in back yard! They pee under my deck which drives my dogs crazy. They crap in my back yard which makes my dogs do things that almost make them get sent to the doggie homeless shelter!

Cats are the one thing to which I will boldly say; 'Get off my lawn!"

Sorry, I'm not a hater, but I DO NOT like cats. First, I'm highly allergic to them. But, tell me why I have to keep my dogs in the yard (as expected, a responsibility of pet ownership) but cats are allowed to roam freely about the neighborhood and do what they want? I have had two newer cars scratched from neighbors cats climbing on them to keep warm during winter. Just replaced all the cushions on all the deck furniture, because cats peed on them. This in my fully fenced in back yard! They pee under my deck which drives my dogs crazy. They crap in my back yard which makes my dogs do things that almost make them get sent to the doggie homeless shelter!

Also not a fan, and also highly allergic to them. In fact, my eyes are starting to get itchy and I'm feeling congested, just typing about them!

cats are inside pets, they’ll kill all wildlife within 4 feet of the ground if not. i do love a cat though.

on the other hand, i heard a dog bark in my neighbor’s fenced yard once, and i’m allergic to noise, so they should all be put to death.

The feral cats at my place have learned to bury their crap in my driveway instead of leaving it to broil in the sun. You still step in it at night, but not as much sticks to your shoes. They still tease the dog, but at least I don't have to feed them. Except that bird that stuck to the bumper of my work truck, They were nice enough to pull it out of the grill and take it into the bushes to eat it.

IDK... cats, dogs... why bother having any of them? Unless of course you have rats in your home or own a junkyard, there’s no real point besides enjoying cleaning up pee and poop.

The thing I don't get is, you see us having COMPLETELY HARMLESS fun. Quoting movie lines from an all time classic comedy. Why call for Shawn as if something bad was going on? That is one of those, "if you don't want to play, just go to another thread" things. I don't know why you kept calling for Shawn. Harmless fun. And, if you don't want to participate there, that has nothing to do with the other areas of the forum, or not fitting in. Not sure why that made you uncomfortable.

The truth is, I'm not the forum police, but I've detected the smell of troll a bit here lately, and I prefer to act silly and have fun with trolls, so they aren't the one getting the last laugh. Maybe your nose didn't pick up the scent like some did, and that's OK too. In that event, it was just boys having fun and harming nobody. Honestly, I have no clue why the thread got locked.

DTR,

To be totally honest, I didn't think some of the responses to @PRSfanboy46's questions in some of his posts were entirely fair to the boy. Consider, the boy is 15 years old and doesn't have a lot of experience yet. We, OTOH, do and should likely be better examples to him than what he's used to in school.

Hear me out, please. I'm not laying a guilt trip on anyone intentionally. It's entirely likely that what the boy takes in when the unwinds at night is either the TV or internet. There's really not a lot of structure there, and kids thrive on a structured environment. Some of the things I was trying to say to the boy was some personal experience of what to strive for instead of spinning his wheels on futile things that will only confuse him.

When you guys began quoting movie lines in his post, you could tell the derail had already occurred and a lot of the responses were adding little to the intention of his OP. And TBH, there's been times when I've derailed a thread myself (albeit unintentionally) a time to 2.

My calling on Shawn was really a plea to stop the chaos and try to think more clearly. I don't personally mind enjoying a little fun, but not at someone else's expense. As was said, sometimes we point fingers too quickly and assume things. The truth is we're all here to grow and learn as guitarists who share similar values. Just because some of us are really big kids ourselves doesn't mean the new kid isn't supposed to be welcomed. The forum is an all-inclusive environment that nurtures diversity and should be impartial to all. It's based on respect and love for people of all backgrounds, ethnicities, and nationalities.

FTR, I have not checked the locked thread, but it was understood that the question had gone beyond debatable, it was impressing our mindset of what we know as "Impossible" onto an impressionable young mind. It was my feeling that the boy has questions, but can't wait to learn more about PRS. You gotta admit, the kid has moxie, if anything. If we can be adults who can steer him in the correct direction, the boy might learn more quickly if he has a chance to observe and listen, and ask questions that won't seem so darn irritatingly inquisitive.

Thanks for your time.

The biggest disappointment for me was that one of my most expertly executed thread derails in a very long time got shutdown.

I think the way I handled that deserves some recognition and respect, and an apology from anyone responsible for ending it. :p

Last edited:
Back