Gen III (Locking) Tremolo Aftermarket?

Alexander Haibel

I recently asked the PTC if they'd swap my tremolo for the Private Stock / Locking version of the Gen III trem. They said no.

Presumably this means these are only made-to-order for the Private Stock program.

I'm posting to gauge interest. Are other people interested in having this part available?

ps_gom_october_2016_photo4.jpg

Well yes but the real question is will those locking saddles work on the normal prs trem with shorter Allen screws?

I can't say that I've had many tuning issues with my trems. They all stay in tune really well.

Like Bodia, it's a no from me

Well yes but the real question is will those locking saddles work on the normal prs trem with shorter Allen screws?

This is Santana's guitar with the "prototype" bridge. Looks like what you say - a normal trem with the saddles swapped.

b05190b178a10233e92cbd2dea037ae1.jpg

If the locking saddles do make significant improvements to tuning stability, I think PRS would offer it on their core line without a second thought.

I'm a lazy bugger so I went with the non locking ones on my build because 6 extra screws to loosen and tighten when changing strings is just too much time wasted that I could have spent shredding it.

I'm a lazy bugger so I went with the non locking ones on my build because 6 extra screws to loosen and tighten when changing strings is just too much time wasted that I could have spent shredding it.

THIS!!!!! I don’t need them or want them but believe they should be offered. I mean why not offer any parts for upgrades?

Well my thinking is this. I would put them on and maybe only lock them when I'm gigging. While at home recording and not gigging I wouldn't even put the locking screws in so it would act like a normal prs trem.

I have them on one of my PSes. It certainly works very well, and it’s also a gorgeous-sounding guitar.

I’d buy it again, because it does stay in tune better, even when I don’t use the trem; maybe that helps the guitar sound so great?

It’s one more thing to fiddle with when changing strings, though, and as a guy who hates the PITA of changing strings in the first place, I put off string changes on that guitar as long as I can stand to!

It’s a very elegant solution. I tend not to use my trem because I’m heavy handed / aggressive and I will put it out of tune. Nothing a dip of the bar cant sort but there’s always that doubt/building it into your playing style etc.

PRS does tend to reserve the best/new features for PS at first but over time they trickle down the range.
Here’s hoping.

Well my thinking is this. I would put them on and maybe only lock them when I'm gigging. While at home recording and not gigging I wouldn't even put the locking screws in so it would act like a normal prs trem.

I'm no expert, but not locking those screws in will probably result in some rattle.

Hey if the trem's good enough for Emil Werstler, who uses his whammy arm ALOT, then it'll probably be good enough for me. I did actually seriously consider the locking saddles but it was when I saw that hardly any PS builds had them, whether dealer commissioned or artist commissioned, that I decided it probably wasn't worth any extra step and tool during string changes. It's my first PRS though so if the trem sucks, I'd probably ask if I could purchase the locking saddles given mine's a PS build anyway, but I highly doubt it.

I'm no expert, but not locking those screws in will probably result in some rattle.

Hey if the trem's good enough for Emil Werstler, who uses his whammy arm ALOT, then it'll probably be good enough for me. I did actually seriously consider the locking saddles but it was when I saw that hardly any PS builds had them, whether dealer commissioned or artist commissioned, that I decided it probably wasn't worth any extra step and tool during string changes. It's my first PRS though so if the trem sucks, I'd probably ask if I could purchase the locking saddles given mine's a PS build anyway, but I highly doubt it.

Oh yes.......if a person didn't lock saddles you'd definitely want to take locking screws out so they wouldn't vibrate out and get lost.

Back