Gen III Floating Trem - Lower String Height/Action

Scott Baker

I just got a new 408 (love it!) and I'd like to lower the string height/action from the factory setup to much lower. I'm going to have a guitar tech do this, but I wanted to verify that lowering the saddle heights and possibly minor adjustments to the truss rod is the way to accomplish this for this trem system. Noting that spring/trem claw tension and intonation may need to be tweaked after the adjustments. Thank you!

I have found some of my PRS bridges to be a bit higher than I wanted if your saddles are pretty low already you can lower all the trem screw
John Mann has a great video on youtube , but on some of my guitars I have gone lower than the 2.5mm options with good results

Thanks for the feedback. The saddles are pretty high, so there is room to maneuver. I like the factory spec of being able to pull up right at a whole step. Lowering the trem screws would reduce that functionality while making it easier to lower the action than what could be a tedious process of lowering saddles at the same neck radius increments one by one and then checking each string. I think the latter is the route I want to go given I want to maintain the pullback range.

I have found some of my PRS bridges to be a bit higher than I wanted if your saddles are pretty low already you can lower all the trem screw
John Mann has a great video on youtube , but on some of my guitars I have gone lower than the 2.5mm options with good results

me too.

Same here.

I've tried to use the Allen wrench like Manns video but I'm weird. Is it touching? I can't tell..........I'll do it over......Still can't tell.......I think it's touching.

I set the screws where I want them then I take a picture of trem and screws. When I expand the photo I can clearly see which screws need adjustments. Yes this is weird.

Back