Gen II Tuners on a 89 CE24.

claythomas

Nothing but the best!
Ok, here's my dilemma....I have a few older CE24's from the 80's and early 90's. I want to replace the tired tuners with GEN II. It appears the screwholes won't line up and the screws are longer than the thickness of the headstock at the volute. I can live with the existing screwholes showing as these are player guitars with plenty of wear, abuse, and character marks. But, I don't want to have the tips of the screws peeking thru the face of the headstock. Maybe clip the tips of the screws just short of the needed depth?

The original Gen i and II tuners were made by Schaller. Gotoh later took over production of the Gen IIs and now makes the Gen IIIs as well. The Schallers and Gotohs have slightly different body dimensions and mounting screw locations. The Schallers Gen IIs use the same body as Schallers current M6 Mini locking tuners. Those should fit with no problem. The other option is to fill the old holes (toothpicks and wood glue), touch up the holes, and re-drill from the new tuners. The holes will be in a new location, but the old holes will be covered by the new tuner bodies.

Back