Gave the Purple Vela the bling it deserved

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
You may remember I acquired a rare purple Vela.

Finally got around to swapping the black pick guard for pearloid, and OH MY does it pop!

I also Scotch-brited the back of the neck (c'mon PRS, STOP with the gloss necks!) and strung it with 9.5s (down from 10s) for a touch more slinkiness. Plays like a dream now!

One interesting thing I learned is that it's routed for a full neck humbucker....

Question to the group: should I go full-on and get a pearloid truss rod cover made?

Before:

ulpz2bko2edfrsrllfqe.jpg

After:

IM2heIF.jpg

4Ioj9iz.jpg

2x7b2h2.jpg

SU71asu.jpg

Ultimately, I'd split the difference and put a black-pearloid pickguard on there--I bet that would be cool. (Then the truss-rod cover could remain black.) But I get it... PRS doesn't make them in black-pearloid, so you'd have to go the custom route.

The white-pearloid pickguard does indeed look good (and/or better than standard black). Wendy Melvoin would approve! Might as well go with a matching TRC so that all the "pickguard-type materials" all match.

You may remember I acquired a rare purple Vela.

Finally got around to swapping the black pick guard for pearloid, and OH MY does it pop!

I also Scotch-brited the back of the neck (c'mon PRS, STOP with the gloss necks!) and strung it with 9.5s (down from 10s) for a touch more slinkiness. Plays like a dream now!

One interesting thing I learned is that it's routed for a full neck humbucker....

Question to the group: should I go full-on and get a pearloid truss rod cover made?

Before:

ulpz2bko2edfrsrllfqe.jpg

After:

IM2heIF.jpg

4Ioj9iz.jpg

2x7b2h2.jpg

SU71asu.jpg
You made the right decision, my bro.

Back