GASing for a Mesa Boogie Mark v

That sucks!

However it will be like a NAD New Amp Day, all over again.

A New Amp/Cab/Attenuator Day (NACAD), which is what you will be after the next month, would be great. With pics please :D
Will do. Cab may be further out. My fender mustang gtx100 does one thing that is kind of handy - it has both blue tooth and aux in for backing tracks and the Fender play app. I’m looking for a good way to do that with the Mesa. I think it will be small monitors on a desk with my computer/iPad/phone, and play along on the Mesa, or di into the computer and out to the monitors. Anyway, the Mesa and Bugera arrive on Tuesday per Sweetwater’s tracking. I’ll post up pics when I can. Maybe a money shot with the amp and the SE Custom 22. An old guy’s beginner rig…

1x10 combo. The 2x12 idea is interesting. Would you make the same comment knowing I’ll very likely never play outside my house, and why? Honest and curious and serious question.

If you got a combo amp, then that will be good enough for a long time. At some point you have to put the credit card down and practice the darn guitar. You already have an amazing rig on the way. An extension cabinet is totally excessive and unnecessary.

But if you ever find yourself wanting a bigger sound, then I'd consider getting a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. I play through a 2x12 cabinet at home and love it. It's hard to describe the difference between a 1x12 and a 4x12. The 4x12 is more immersive? Sometime go to a guitar store, grab any amp head (orange micro dark would be my go-to), and play it through a 1x12 cabinet and then a 4x12 cabinet. Even at low volume you'll hear the difference and can decide if the bigger cabinet sound is something you want and if it's worth the price.

Will do. Cab may be further out. My fender mustang gtx100 does one thing that is kind of handy - it has both blue tooth and aux in for backing tracks and the Fender play app. I’m looking for a good way to do that with the Mesa. I think it will be small monitors on a desk with my computer/iPad/phone, and play along on the Mesa, or di into the computer and out to the monitors. Anyway, the Mesa and Bugera arrive on Tuesday per Sweetwater’s tracking. I’ll post up pics when I can. Maybe a money shot with the amp and the SE Custom 22. An old guy’s beginner rig…
I recommend having your guitar sound and your backing tracks coming from different locations. I think it makes it easier to hear both at the same time.

That said, try the various options for yourself and decide what you like! That is the beauty of it all: the best way is the one gets you to play guitar the most.

If you got a combo amp, then that will be good enough for a long time. At some point you have to put the credit card down and practice the darn guitar. You already have an amazing rig on the way. An extension cabinet is totally excessive and unnecessary.

But if you ever find yourself wanting a bigger sound, then I'd consider getting a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. I play through a 2x12 cabinet at home and love it. It's hard to describe the difference between a 1x12 and a 4x12. The 4x12 is more immersive? Sometime go to a guitar store, grab any amp head (orange micro dark would be my go-to), and play it through a 1x12 cabinet and then a 4x12 cabinet. Even at low volume you'll hear the difference and can decide if the bigger cabinet sound is something you want and if it's worth the price.

Thanks for that. It’s good advice. I’ll very likely trade my mustang to the local shop where I bought it so he can make some margin on it twice, lol. He has a couple of PRS closed 1x12’s that might be a viable trade option. Nothing that needs doing though.

I recommend having your guitar sound and your backing tracks coming from different locations. I think it makes it easier to hear both at the same time.

That said, try the various options for yourself and decide what you like! That is the beauty of it all: the best way is the one gets you to play guitar the most.
As I’ve thought through, this makes the most sense. I’m starting to help my daughter with her video editing class, so a set of small monitors would be useful anyway. My other option I think, is into the amp with guitar, and into an interface with the iPhone, and then into the effects return of the boogie - I think this will work?

Last edited:
I’m a bit late to the discussion, but congratulations on your new amp purchase. I’ve been gigging my Mark V head since 2011 and even bought a combo version last year that I now gig. Like people who are still gigging previous Mark versions that they purchased in the 80’s and 90’s, I can’t imagine ever selling these or needing anything else. They are my favorite amps of all time and all I need…and I have used them at home on 10 watt mode, on occasion.

So, after some shipping delays thanks to Covid decimating FedEx staffing, I have a new Mesa Boogie MKV 25 combo and a Bugera PS-1. Both were demos from Sweetwater. They are both mint and under warranty. Sweetwater has been pretty cool so far. I'll edit with photos once I figure out how to post them. A headphone site I occasionally hang out on used to require 3rd party hosting, so I think I can figure it out again.

Anyway, a few minutes with it, and a couple of things are clear -
1) There's some good tones in there
2) It'll take some practice to find the above
3) A real tube amp is like swimming with a little buzz on. A Fender Mustang GTX 100 is like watching a video of people swimming while you have a little buzz on. (or at least as I recall, it's been well over 30 years since said buzz on...)
Anyone want a good deal on a mint Fender Mustang GTX 100?
4) This is a nice, occasionally ornery forum. Glad I'm here, thank you all for your help and advice!

I have a Suhr PT15 IR. Great master for playing at "bedroom" level. Also headphone capable. That said, I find myself using my laptop and the Neural DSP plugins with headphones. Great stuff.

I’ve been having fun with this little mini mark combo. I find myself using the Bugera PS-1 almost always for BR volume, and occasionally adding a little black amp box along with it, or instead of the PS-1. The master on the mkV25 is touchy at best. I was warned of all of this going in, so I planned for it. As it turns out, I need something to set the amp on. It could be a low table, but I’m thinking speaker, ‘cause gear….

Kinda reasking, but looking at the Mesa compact 10’s for size and weight; the Mesa compact wide body 12’s and the mini recto cabs. I’d consider any other Mesa 1x12’s as well. I think 2x12 is just gonna be even more overkill for my needs. Also any other cab recommendations. PRS cabs are available At Tweedhut, the local guitar shop. I’m kinda vain, though, so being a Mesa and matching my black Taurus (Taurus?) With black jute grill is far more important than it should be….

I’m pretty interested in the 10’s (size and weight, kinda made for the mkV25?) but closed or open, given that the combo an open 1x10? I’m thinking closed to compliment the open combo, but directional punchy closed at ankle level - does this make sense?

Same question for the wide body 12’s. These of course sound ‘better’. They are also a convenient size in my bedroom, but so are the 10’s.

I’ve heard good and bad on the mini rectos.

In any case, no gigging. Possible grandpa band jamming in the future….

Given the stock shortages of Mesa stuff, test driving is not much of an option.

All comments appreciated.

Anyone want a great deal on a Fender Mustang GTX100? Cool actually good sounding modeling amp, entry level quality, nice app, too much fiddling and option paralysis for me…

I can't put my 5:25 express combo volume any higher than 2 in my bedroom when my gain is turned up or it will cause problems.

My experience with closed Mesa cabs is that they are much tighter and more directional than the open back versions. For a 2 or 4 by 12 this is a pretty good thing, but a 1x12, depending on the style you are going for, can be a bit problematic to hear in a band setting esp if it's on the floor.

I started this thread in January. Here’s where I’ve finally ended up - MkV 25 combo, B-stock from Sweetwater, compact wide body 1x12 open from Craigslist, Fryette PS2 from Craigslist. I started with. Bugera PS-1 (PS-2? Whichever). It just didn’t work that well for as quiet as I sometimes play. I also have a Pod Go that was mainly for a multi effects pedal. As stated somewhere in this thread, I’ve finally (kinda) put the credit card down and started practicing more….

HNxyzWZ.jpg

Last edited:
I started this thread in January. Here’s where I’ve finally ended up - MkV 25 combo, B-stock from Sweetwater, compact wide body 1x12 open from Craigslist, Fryette PS2 from Craigslist. I started with. Bugera PS-1 (PS-2? Whichever). It just didn’t work that well for as quiet as I sometimes play. I also have a Pod Go that was mainly for a multi effects pedal. As stated somewhere in this thread, I’ve finally (kinda) put the credit card down and started practicing more….

HNxyzWZ.jpg
Everything in this picture is awesome.

Everything in this picture is awesome.

PB&J! Mr and Mrs Smith! Classic combo.

LOL, thanks guys. It sounds really good to me. I’ll post one with my SE Custom 22 one of these days. I fall into the “22 frets sound better to me, and what am I going to do with frets 23 and 24 anyway” camp. The little owl is kinda cute though.

LOL, thanks guys. It sounds really good to me. I’ll post one with my SE Custom 22 one of these days. I fall into the “22 frets sound better to me, and what am I going to do with frets 23 and 24 anyway” camp. The little owl is kinda cute though.
And that's why Paul offers both!

Great rig. Glad you've got it put together and making noise.

Back