GAS

rb1

Cork Sniffer Extraordinaire
So I’ve narrowed my decision down to either a Core McCarty 594 Hollowbody II or an SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow.

I’ve played the specific two I’m looking at both on separate days through different amps along with about 8 other various PRS guitars from 3 different shops and I’m down to these two, which both stand out to me and both seem great.

Can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn’t just get both? I mean, at this point, given our crazy economy, the SE is like a few tanks of gas or a few nights on the town, so why not dollar-cost-average the pair and take them both? Give my business to a couple shops and spread the wealth from Maryland to Indonesia?

Damn you Paul Reed Smith. Why did you put me in this situation?

Wow, those two couldn’t be anymore apart. If you have the means for a 594 HB why would you choose an SE Semi?

Wow, those two couldn’t be anymore apart. If you have the means for a 594 HB why would you choose an SE Semi?
Well I’ve been asking myself the same thing. For one, this particular SE is really good (I tried 3 at 2 shops). I liked it more than a CE I tried. Plays great, sounds great, looks great. For two, it’s cheap as hell so why not? For three, I won’t baby it like the 594 so I’ll probably play it a lot. Finally, it will give me a very good comparison between very high end and very entry level PRS to see the real differences. And they both will probably hold their respective values pretty well.

I guess, at the end of the day, I am definitely getting the 594 because it’s spectacular, but I really like this SE also and I feel like it’s a good enough deal I might as well.

If you can swing them both, why not? If you're not likely to find another SE that's a) that good; and b) that good of a price, this one will always haunt you.

As long as you don't have to sell a kid or anything.

Well, a kid you like.

OK, I have the first one in hand. The cheap and easy one. GC special. It really is a pleasure to play and I’m getting some very good tones out of the 85/15s.

As for the McCarty, it’s going to take a bit longer while I decide which kid(ney) to sell, but I committed to it and it's waiting for me. That one is truly something else.

And while I sort out how to post pictures, the easy way to put the first up was to change my avatar.

Inline

07069-CED-DFF2-47-B1-B624-0722887-CD4-BE.jpg

Back