GAS pains

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I haven’t had guitar GAS in a long time. Couple years probably. Maybe it was because I was off work and online a lot for a couple weeks. There was a 594 with a sick top and maple neck that really caught my eye which has apparently since sold. Didn’t have funds available. I now find myself super bummed out and searching for something similar even though I still don’t have the funds. Over that time I convinced myself I needed this guitar. I don’t really, but I convinced myself otherwise. I love the feel of the satin, unfinished feeling maple neck and figured it would be great addition and a little different from what I have. There’s a matching SC 594 out there yet, but I don’t feel like I’m much of an SC guy anymore. Anyway, I figured I’d vent a little and share my GAS sadness a bit.

Alright....so pardon my ignorance, but what in the h3ll is "GAS"?

I have been of the forum scene for too many years I suppose. I haven't kept up on the latest abbreviations. :/

Having just sated some GAS with my newly purchased Hollowbody 2, I too won't be able to add new gear for a 'LONG' time whilst my Bank Balance tries to recover. This just after the announcement of the Hollowbody 594 and I love the 594 and certainly want a Hollowbody version. With NAMM coming up at the end of the month and no doubt my youtube feed being full of new gear announcements, reviews etc, I can't see my GAS being sated for long.

I am almost dreading seeing a HB594 in Fire Burst Red.... :D

There’s a matching SC 594 out there yet, but I don’t feel like I’m much of an SC guy anymore.

I mostly play my doublecuts, but there's something about a SC that just feels like home. All those years playing a Les Paul or LP copy, I guess.

"Then why is your Private Stock a doublecut?"

"I don't know, I guess bec...wait, isn't this Les's schtick?"

"Les isn't here, man."

"I thought Les was everywhere."

"No. That's God."

"Doesn't Les think he's God?"

"Only when Mrs. Les isn't around."

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the flare up, Vaughn, hopefully it’ll subside, or even go away until the one you were looking at becomes available again.

I’m kinda GAS free for the first time in awhile.

The last two guitars that followed me home weren’t bought with the same feeling of excitement or reward, they were just kinda like “okay, I guess I’ll buy that”.

Couple that with the fact that I’ve been getting little pockets of guitars from Bodia to list... I don’t wanna say I’m guitar-ed out but...

Yeah man. I just dropped a couple of bucks myself. I am pretty happy with the purchase, but this was NOT the time of year that I should have done it. But a great deal on a great guitar sometimes gets me. Like I said in my post about it, I gotta stay off E-bay, Craigslist and Reverb *sigh* :oops:

I thought I was done with the GAS when I bought my Amp, but alas no. Someone had to bring up pictures of the SE Paul's Guitar, and now I'm trying to figure out if I have a grand floating around somewhere, or if I have any viable body parts I can sell.

So it goes V.
Best not to look. Ever.
I think that’s part of it. Frankly, I’ve had little time to look in the past 6 months. Then I’m off work 2 weeks...
Idle hands...

Still, I find the allure a maple neck enticing. The only maple neck I have is the NF3. I love the feel of it. Tim, our other guitar player, got a SE Angelus for Christmas and he’s had it at rehearsals. I’ve been bringing my NF3 to rehearsals which has been fun. That got me thinking it’d be nice to have a maple neck guitar with a bit more brawn. It’s also made me think I need a DGT or Santana, something humbucker+trem.

I think that’s part of it. Frankly, I’ve had little time to look in the past 6 months. Then I’m off work 2 weeks...
Idle hands...

Still, I find the allure a maple neck enticing. The only maple neck I have is the NF3. I love the feel of it. Tim, our other guitar player, got a SE Angelus for Christmas and he’s had it at rehearsals. I’ve been bringing my NF3 to rehearsals which has been fun. That got me thinking it’d be nice to have a maple neck guitar with a bit more brawn. It’s also made me think I need a DGT or Santana, something humbucker+trem.
A maple neck does give you a very different guitar. I find the DGT and Santana quite different. I suspect the DGT would work well for you in a two guitar band - I like the variations I can get with two volumes.

I thought I was done with the GAS when I bought my Amp, but alas no. Someone had to bring up pictures of the SE Paul's Guitar, and now I'm trying to figure out if I have a grand floating around somewhere, or if I have any viable body parts I can sell.
Oh, I’ve got some amp GAS too. Only in theory really, as I haven’t actually played the amp.

A maple neck does give you a very different guitar. I find the DGT and Santana quite different. I suspect the DGT would work well for you in a two guitar band - I like the variations I can get with two volumes.
The DGT would be ideal since it has the same basic control layout as my PS. I require 2 volume knobs to get all my tones, especially on a single channel. I don’t use my clean channel much(as great as it is).

Two big thumbs up for the DGT. Back down a little on the volume - especially on the bridge - and articulation and clarity reigns supreme. But bump back to 10 and it gooses the amp input pretty good. The DGT pickups are surprisingly powerful despite the vintage character and control. I’d think they’d do well in your genre.

"I thought Les was everywhere."

"No. That's God."

"Doesn't Les think he's God?"

"Only when Mrs. Les isn't around."

“Wait, I’m not a believer in supernatural beings, so I know I’m not god!”

“But you think you’re immortal.”

“Big deal! My wife thinks she’s omniscient.”

“And your kids?”

“You referring to Apollo, Aphrodite and Athena or my grandkids, Achilles and Nike?”

Back