GAS got the better of me, again: Aqua Violet Glow Quilt/Ziricote PS CU24-08

After couple days playing with dyes my workbench looks like a war zone with paper stained red, blue, and green all over the place...

However I finally got something that matches the inlays... that'll take care of 2 buttons out of 6...
The tricky part was getting the green/lavender color separation. It's slightly harder to pull off on tuner buttons, as I just found out, but I'm optimistic I'll get that working there too.
rnlnJHF.jpg
Buddy, that looks fantastic!! Those will be ultra cool!

Thanks !
It's certainly a fun process but can be very frustrating.
It's difficult enough to reverse engineer those multi-layers stains but trying to also get as close as possible of a color match is even worse.

Sometimes you end up with interesting accidents along the way, like that earlier pink/purple stain or this watermelon one:
AwgAi0j.jpg

That truly is amazingly gorgeous! It boggles the mind how that wood can be so 3-D. And that staining!

... Just one more observation; My WL CU24-08 was built with 58/15's... regardless, the pickup pole screws are oriented the same in this model. The polepiece screws installed face towards the bridge. In other words, away from the neck. Yours do not. I wonder if someone turned the neck pickup around. I've been thinking of doing that on mine. My example from REVERB. https://reverb.com/item/13472974-pr...burnt-maple-leaf-10-top-254795?show_sold=true

I wonder if someone turned the neck pickup around.
Good point; that someone would be whoever installed electronics at the factory.
I've had two CU24-08s w/ those pickups the past year and the neck pole pieces were always facing the bridge.
Can't say I've heard any issue in any position so far but I might shoot an email to PRS though to see if this is proper.

@docteurseb I just came across both this thread as well as your orange tiger Paul’s guitar. Your craftsmanship is just amazing. If you didn’t have a day job (I’m sure you do), I’m sure plenty of us would line up for matching tuners and truss rod covers for our PRSi . Well done !

Hello docteurseb,

Happy new year!

I am sorry to hijack your thread, but your outstanding stain jobs that you keep posting here have finally made me sign up to this forum :) I have to admit, I do not own a PRS (I briefly had a Custom 24 from 1998), but I owe a lot to PRS, as he inspired me to built guitars (just for my private use and joy) and I learned a lot just from constantly looking and checking his instruments.

I hope you don't mind me asking, how you achieved the above look by using the Fiebing dye? I somewhere read about how to do a Northern Lights finish (actually, it was like miying blue and red to get kind of a royal purple, then add maroon, then sand it back and then add teal), but they used Keda stains, as far as I know. Usually I use Clou stains, as these are easy to get here, but Fiebing is available here , too.

So, if you would mind to give a short run down on which Fiebing colours to use and in which order, I would be more than happy and really grateful!

Best regards

Jonas

@docteurseb I just came across both this thread as well as your orange tiger Paul’s guitar. Your craftsmanship is just amazing. If you didn’t have a day job (I’m sure you do), I’m sure plenty of us would line up for matching tuners and truss rod covers for our PRSi . Well done !
Thank you ! I indeed have a day job that is decently good enough to collect a few too many PS guitars lately...
Luckily I was on vacation the past couple weeks which finally gave me enough time to make matching parts.
That said I still have spare time once in a while; thus feel free to PM me ;-)

Hello docteurseb,

Happy new year!

I am sorry to hijack your thread, but your outstanding stain jobs that you keep posting here have finally made me sign up to this forum :) I have to admit, I do not own a PRS (I briefly had a Custom 24 from 1998), but I owe a lot to PRS, as he inspired me to built guitars (just for my private use and joy) and I learned a lot just from constantly looking and checking his instruments.

I hope you don't mind me asking, how you achieved the above look by using the Fiebing dye? I somewhere read about how to do a Northern Lights finish (actually, it was like miying blue and red to get kind of a royal purple, then add maroon, then sand it back and then add teal), but they used Keda stains, as far as I know. Usually I use Clou stains, as these are easy to get here, but Fiebing is available here , too.

So, if you would mind to give a short run down on which Fiebing colours to use and in which order, I would be more than happy and really grateful!

Best regards

Jonas

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the forum.

It would be improper for me to share how I got that specific color, even if it's just an approximation.
The answer though can actually be found online from PRS itself.

Hi docteurseb,

Thanks a lot for your reply! Do you maybe have a hint on where to find that content from PRS? I have seen a lot of staining videos from them on YT but couldn't find any on the NL finish.

Best regards

Jonas

Thank you ! I indeed have a day job that is decently good enough to collect a few too many PS guitars lately...
Luckily I was on vacation the past couple weeks which finally gave me enough time to make matching parts.
That said I still have spare time once in a while; thus feel free to PM me ;-)

That's some day job :) I will ping you sometime.

The more I looked at the truss rod cover the more it bugged me. It's just uninspiring as it's badly mismatched with the veneer:
1MBgoIJ.jpg

I decided to fix that this afternoon using some leftover ziricote I had and trying to match the grain.
Got the unpleasant surprise to realize the PS team, on this guitar, used a different mounting position. The cover has to be about 2mm longer than for a Core USA... I have no idea why but it seems to be that way on some PS guitars.

I had to make a second one and I think it looks way better now:
fOaddDj.jpg

As for the buttons I finally got to finish the two other pairs, and after redoing the stain couple times I'm happy with the colors:
dR9HavB.jpg

Ryi88L2.jpg

It's been quite fun to try to get the green, purple, and blues hues in there.
I'll have to wait maybe a week before I can polish and install those.

Back