GAS got the better of me, again: Aqua Violet Glow Quilt/Ziricote PS CU24-08

Congrats! That is a very stunning guitar. I originally wanted a quilt top like that for my build but none were available at the time. The Aqua Violet Glow color looks amazing on that top in particular. Bird inlays look great with a lot of depth to them.

The two pics from the PSF thread I found. We can conclude that if it looks good on the PSF thread, it looks even better in person (surprising but true):
dsc07063-jpg.8634

dsc07061-jpg.8633

If Julie Bowen were a guitar, that’s the guitar she would be!

Now that I'm done with the orange tiger tuner buttons/trc/backplate for my Paul's Guitar, it's time to turn my attention back to this one.

I want to make curly maple stained buttons for it to add contrast to the headstock.
I recently got a bunch of Fiebing's leather dyes and damn are these incredibly vivid. With the right combination of colors it makes it 'relatively' easy to achieve Aqua Violet/Northern Lights types of colors; it's way easier than with Keda and TransTint.

That one looks very promising, maybe a bit too vivid/light actually for my guitar. The blue might have to be less diluted in my case:
B1l76Gv.jpg

This was the same thing except I had not sanded back heavily enough. The piece ended up looking mostly blue/violet without much color separation.
I sanded it back and I was surprised to see the original pink showing up again along with purple; applied the indigo and now we have 3 colors which is an interesting effect too:
f21rn6h.jpg

Of course with teal (Aqua Green dye color) instead of blue we get something more reminiscent of NL:
8chNIjy.jpg

All this is very promising ;-)

It's getting there...
The right part of the piece was a bit of an accident to get something that's closer to NL, some of the colors happen to match very well the center of my guitar.
The left side is like the above but darker by applying more layers of blue, it's exactly what I think of Aqua Violet and if it were just a bit darker it would match well the darker part of the glow.
2zE5IKM.jpg

Using a darker blue and reversing the order of dyes we get something a bit unusual but pretty cool looking.
I get it's not for everyone :) and it doesn't help me color match my 24-08 but if I could make color gradations smoother it'd be very tempting to use that on a future Warmoth Strat-style build...
dsszbqb.jpg

After couple days playing with dyes my workbench looks like a war zone with paper stained red, blue, and green all over the place...

However I finally got something that matches the inlays... that'll take care of 2 buttons out of 6...
The tricky part was getting the green/lavender color separation. It's slightly harder to pull off on tuner buttons, as I just found out, but I'm optimistic I'll get that working there too.
rnlnJHF.jpg

Back